TForce | Zone Drivers

a zone driver is someone who does not return to a terminal every night. in billings and butte mt we have zone drivers. which consists of a cit driver and road drive that are based in billings. the road driver in billings takes trailers down to a meet point in Wyoming and meets a driver from Denver there they switch and driver back to their service centers. the city driver in the morning then takes that trailer and makes deliveries and pick ups. about 60 of these zone service centers are supposed to go in. so pretty much its a service center with no brick and mortar.

I was a downtown Boston city driver for Con-Way many moons ago. When it was announced that a zone was opening up. We were asked if anyone wanted to transfer. Since I worked for the only Union Con-Way at the time (Con-Way Eastern Express), it was done by seniority. I lucked out and got the bid. I not only became senior man in a CF parking lot, but eventually in a real barn. This is an excellent way to penetrate a market at little cost other than linehaul cost. And as your business picks up and grows, you add more to the service footprint. Great move if you can get it.

a zone driver is someone who does not return to a terminal every night. in billings and butte mt we have zone drivers. which consists of a cit driver and road drive that are based in billings. the road driver in billings takes trailers down to a meet point in Wyoming and meets a driver from Denver there they switch and driver back to their service centers. the city driver in the morning then takes that trailer and makes deliveries and pick ups. about 60 of these zone service centers are supposed to go in. so pretty much its a service center with no brick and mortar.

Your right. We are supposed to have 40 to 80 zone driver teams popping up in the western division very soon. UPS wants us to cover like the parcel division. We have to many open areas not covered.

And yes they will be union.

...huh...I do this every day...gbo-ric meet hrs then back home..dang never knew I was a ozone driver...:woot:

well technically no you are just meeting at a point, switching, and going back to your barn. the zone part is because the city driver usually meets the road driver in a parking lot.

Welocme to Con-Way in brown. If I would have wanted to work for Con-Way I would have went there looking for a job. Being in the business for a while now I've had an opportunity to talk to alot of Con-Way guy's telling me how screwed up their operation was. Now I get to see it first hand. I think we should invite all the Con-Way rejects to come and help destroy our company like they have their's. And that's all I've got to say about that.

doesn't conway do alot of this? I wonder if this is the start of closing small terminals to rebuild later.

This is just the cost effective way of building business in the area without the overhead of the terminal and employees , if YRC goes down these things will pop up like dandylions on the front lawn. I am quite sure if someo of these area's obtain enough profit to have a terminal one will pop up.:1036316054: UPS sales people will be told to sell the area's in witch these zone terminals are located and 'viola' GROWING BUSINESS.

This is just the cost effective way of building business in the area without the overhead of the terminal and employees , if YRC goes down these things will pop up like dandylions on the front lawn. I am quite sure if someo of these area's obtain enough profit to have a terminal one will pop up.:1036316054: UPS sales people will be told to sell the area's in witch these zone terminals are located and 'viola' GROWING BUSINESS.

like in billings where i would like to transfer to if and when we open a barn there.

Roadrunner I hope you are being funny. If you haven't heard by now, Conway is doing such a good job they are closing terminals, parking new trucks to drive the old ones, and their upper managment are fleeing the sinking ship. Let's hope that conway mentality is not allowed to creep in any more than it has. I'm sure that if UPS wants to service the cusotmer they will do it the right way.

Roadrunner I hope you are being funny. If you haven't heard by now, Conway is doing such a good job they are closing terminals, parking new trucks to drive the old ones, and their upper managment are fleeing the sinking ship. Let's hope that conway mentality is not allowed to creep in any more than it has. I'm sure that if UPS wants to service the cusotmer they will do it the right way.

Yeah it was sarcasm. G.O.D. closed up sometime ago. I know using some zones can work. Not the way it has been tried by others.

two were set up in w burlington, ia, MCB, and BUI line hual coming out of st. louis. Paxton, IL (PAX) linehual SOH. Qunicy, IL (QIN) and (HAN) STL linehaul. the address of these zone service centers are at package centers centers yards because they are considered secure. more are expected to be popping up.