Zzzzzz Monster

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by guilette95, Nov 17, 2008.

1. guilette95

guilette95 Member

This is probably mostly for line haul drivers since we mostly drive at night. Just wondering what everyone does to fight the Zzzzzz Monster, other than stopping on an offramp for a PowerNap. :Zzzz: For me, I find that varying the radio stations between talk and music and also varying the volume, dimming the dash lights also helps.

2. imported_tuttiefruitie

imported_tuttiefruitie Member

My hubby is a road driver.

No Doze helps, putting the windows down. He calls some of his driver buds on their cell phones.

3. Willie

Willie Member

Turn the stereo up louder and louder as the night goes on, smoke more and more, window down and when all else fails call another driver that i know is doin the same thing. Sometimes nothing you do will stop the sleep monster though. pull over take a nap.

4. simpleman77

simpleman77 Member

I always thought those R.J.Ses did a pretty good job,,
    how bout it?...........

5. flybynite

flybynite Active Member

I've been doing nights so long that I really don't know any other lifestyle. I get plenty of sleep, I have a cup of coffee during the run, but anything else isn't for me. It just puts a temporary fix on a problem that is greater than what I can handle. If I get that tired I pull it off and sleep, better to be late and get a a$$ chewing, then not arrive at all.

6. Redeemed

Redeemed Member

Same here. If you are tired then the only real fix is closing the eyeballs.

But a temp fix to get you somewhere safe to stop try sipping on a drink, nibbling on something to eat or chewing gum, and sometimes turning on the inside cab light for a little bit will work. But only till I find a safe place to stop.

7. ESP

ESP Well-Known Member

you have to be tuff to be a freight hauler

I know what you all are talking about, here is the answer, use your vise grips!!!!! Yea , just clamp them on your private part, I know it will hurt, but do you think you can sleep with the vise grips on your ***? Trust me it works, however if you do not have the guts to do that, Just shut your left hand in the door. problem solved. :1036316054:

8. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Active Member

Now there's one I've never heard before!! lol... The mental image of that alone is enough to keep ya' sharp.

9. Snowmann

Snowmann Member

It must look funny when you forget to remove the vise grip and then walk in the dispatch office.:hysterical::hysterical:
    But I must admit: Redeemed is right, only a nap can cure fatigue.
    When I get tired I pull over to and take a nap.
    No freight is hot enough to be cooled down in the ditch.

10. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Super Moderator Staff Member

Stop get out and stretch,do a walk-around,don't wait until you are tired to partially open a window,start off the trip that way,the fresh air helps keep you alert better than cab air.

11. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Active Member

Good ol' pulse pounding rock-n-roll that you can scream along to does the trick also.

12. DayliteDean

Hard to sleep with a ringing in your ears :TR10driving03:

13. MAYHEM666

MAYHEM666 Member

I don't know about everyone else, but Friday night Saturday morning is the toughest for me. After a long week behind the wheel I'm just plain worn out.

14. tinabell902

tinabell902 Member

try keeping something crunchy in truck, peanuts or hard candy. not trying to be a smart a@@, but I have found out that I have to sleep during day. Save honey do's for weekend, in between beers ofcourse. By all means take nap when needed, sometimes just closing eyes for 5 min does the trick, phone works well to

15. DayliteDean

Cell phones are great,since I didn't have roaming on my plan I could talk 1/2 the morning with a friend that ran the same hours,I'd disagree with him intentionally just to keep things intresting.Now that I run days I find not yakking with him nightly is one of the few things I miss from night L/H