Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeff
  • 1 Post By mattjm

Thread: free programs to keep your computer running fast

Jeff is offline professional cat herder

free programs to keep your computer running fast

sponsored links
    I run these once per week
    Auslogics Disk Defrag
    set this to run when you go to bed and choose the option to shut down pc after finished, you will be amazed how much better your pc will run if it's not fragmented.
    CCleaner This program will clean the registry and temp files

G
    ood Spyware/Malware programs
    SuperAntiSpyware
    M
    alwareBytes
    FDV, Jack Knife and pilot108 like this.
    My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of my employer.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

pro1driver is offline #1 Devil's Advocate
    well i downloaded and tried the ccleaner...that works very well. however i do not feel using a different defrag program will work well, and i say this because in the past i have installed other defrag programs, and sometimes my pc would lock up.

for a time, i would use Norton's defrag, and that messed things up. i bought a reasonably good program before that, when used, it would mess things ups. then i tried a free program. in the end, Windows just didn't like those programs, and would lock up everything. something went horribly wrong one time, and i had to re-install Windows all over again. so for the past few years now, i use the Windows defrag. it works, it's compatible, no problems.

if you use any other defrag program and it works for you, you have my blessing.

on a side note, i do a disk clean once each week, clean out my restore points and make a new one, then i defrag...just "weekly maintenance" since i got this machine, back in 1999...!!!!

on a side note, i do a disk clean once each week, clean out my restore points and make a new one, then i defrag...just "weekly maintenance" since i got this machine, back in 1999...!!!!

Geesh!...........

leemcabee is offline Senior Member
    I prefer tweaknow at tweaknow.com It does a graet job at cleaning and defragging among lots of other things

pro1driver is offline #1 Devil's Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Geesh!...........
    geesh to what...my old pc or my weekly maintenance...???

i'd like a newer, but all the work to transfer over things to the new one....or, i'd like to build a new pc, but right now, i just cannot afford to..

if it's my weekly maintenance, it's a force of habit from the WindowsME days...!!!
    Geeesh".... seemed like weekly i was re-installing that system...!!!

plus i do see where my pc (XP Home) runs better when i do the weekly stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1driver View Post
    geesh to what...my old pc or my weekly maintenance...???

i'd like a newer, but all the work to transfer over things to the new one....or, i'd like to build a new pc, but right now, i just cannot afford to..

if it's my weekly maintenance, it's a force of habit from the WindowsME days...!!!
    Geeesh".... seemed like weekly i was re-installing that system...!!!

plus i do see where my pc (XP Home) runs better when i do the weekly stuff.
    Well I have a Hitachi Deskstar 200 GB hard drive that I don't use here real cheap when you get ready to build...

mattjm is offline Junior Senior Member
    My grandson said do you want to speed this up so l have used it ad have had no problems.
    Jeff likes this.

othertrucker2001 is offline Professional Flummoxer
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1driver View Post
    well i downloaded and tried the ccleaner...that works very well. however i do not feel using a different defrag program will work well, and i say this because in the past i have installed other defrag programs, and sometimes my pc would lock up.

for a time, i would use Norton's defrag, and that messed things up. i bought a reasonably good program before that, when used, it would mess things ups. then i tried a free program. in the end, Windows just didn't like those programs, and would lock up everything. something went horribly wrong one time, and i had to re-install Windows all over again. so for the past few years now, i use the Windows defrag. it works, it's compatible, no problems.

if you use any other defrag program and it works for you, you have my blessing.

I have my unit to defrag every WED night while I am in bed. Delete useless files and cookies several times a week.. Recently had to format my unit, get new updates, BIO's and such, and I swear it works better today than when I bought it two years ago.

Renscout is offline Renscout.Com
    My 1st comp IBM 120mb HARD DRIVE bought around 1989 from sears $2500
    That is one of our city drivers 2 million miles.
    Also state champion several times

mud
    mud is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    I use my G3 Apple iBook everyday.