Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikey

Thread: SUMMARY OF 2011 HOS FINAL RULE PROVISIONS Changes Compared to Current Rule

R-14Driver is offline Senior Member

SUMMARY OF 2011 HOS FINAL RULE PROVISIONS Changes Compared to Current Rule

sponsored links

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

R-14Driver is offline Senior Member

Jeff is offline professional cat herder
    My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of my employer.

peashooter is offline Member
    Thanks for doing my home work for me R-14 Driver. Peashooter CNC

mikey is offline Tired of being lied to...
    So from my initial scan of the documents....looks like we'll still be driving 11 hours per day.....might be time to take a stand and call for a nationwide all driver truck strike......if we shut down for just 36 hours...all at once...they might get the message.

mikey is offline Tired of being lied to...
    So the bottom line, again is, NOT driver health. These rules are designed to keep productivity at the forefront. They're worried about keeping enough drivers in the industry. If the abusive companies paid a living wage, gave reasonable heath benefits, most of the drivers that have left the industry would still be here able to feed their families. Shame on the authors of this abuse, may they be blessed with the same conditions when they are voted OUT of office.....of course they might need to go to Schneider Training school, and if they can pass that, might last 4 to 6 months tops.
    fireman likes this.

grocerythrower is online now Stupid Poopy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    So from my initial scan of the documents....looks like we'll still be driving 11 hours per day.....might be time to take a stand and call for a nationwide all driver truck strike......if we shut down for just 36 hours...all at once...they might get the message.
    Problem is Mikey, you know as well as I do ya can't get 2 drivers to agree on the color of the sky much less get them together to shut down, plus there is the fear of losing ones job, then on top of that, you got the ones that would look at the shutdown as an opportunity to suck the bosses whacker and move up the chain by going to work anyhow, there will always be those willing to HO themselves out for gain, so a shutdown is out of the question, ya can't vote them out, we are pretty much going to have to do whatever we are told or find another profession, (I use the word loosely, given what we have to work with now days profession isn't a good description anymore), I just figure I will do as I'm told until I get so sick of it that I have to find another line of work to get into, its a tough decision that I grapple with everyday.
    Last edited by grocerythrower; 12-26-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Can't say *****..why? IDK...
    I ain't got no panties on

Dragonheart is offline Junior Member
    1st of all virtually no drivers actually drive a full 11 hours daily, a full 11 hour drive in a day is a rarity and even when they do occur are not a big deal. Actually the new rule could be argued to reduce your effective drive time to 10.5 hours now that a .5 hour mandatory break has been introduced to the rules. Obviously there are ways around that .5 break on a daily basis. As far as banding together to have a work stoppage, agreeably not only is it impossible to accomplish it between drivers, there is now also law in the terrorist legislation that prohibits our industry from such acts and would subject us to enforcement of the terrorist laws against us. Guess you haven't been paying attention to what our government has been and is doing! If you have been driving long enough to have operated under the old 1930`s hos till the new old hos in 2003 & 2005 you would know that as a driver, remaining rested, accomplishing your job/load task, making a reasonable income for yourself and or family for what you do, and being as safe to the populous and yourself as possible has never been this good. Look around these days and see what options really and reasonably would be available to you as a profession or job, you don't have it so bad as you think

RickyRicardo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grocerythrower View Post
    Problem is Mikey, you know as well as I do ya can't get 2 drivers to agree on the color of the sky much less get them together to shut down, plus there is the fear of losing ones job, then on top of that, you got the ones that would look at the shutdown as an opportunity to suck the bosses whacker and move up the chain by going to work anyhow, there will always be those willing to HO themselves out for gain, so a shutdown is out of the question, ya can't vote them out, we are pretty much going to have to do whatever we are told or find another profession, (I use the word loosely, given what we have to work with now days profession isn't a good description anymore), I just figure I will do as I'm told until I get so sick of it that I have to find another line of work to get into, its a tough decision that I grapple with everyday.
    And not to mention guys like me who figure I made it almost 32 years and figure another 6 or 7 will be a cakewalk no matter what they throw at me.

Besides, I have lived through a few failed strikes, the biggest being in '82, which got some innocent people killed.
    I wish I had a dollar for every time a trucker said "I have the perfect plan...blah blah..."

Dragonheart is offline Junior Member
    sponsored links
    Agreed, like yourself been around the block a time or two and at this point don't believe there`s a whole lot they can throw at me that would be a game changer any longer. The one thing that stands out the most to me would be 2-1 to 5am periods needed to reset your 70/8. Allowing only one reset in a week no big deal as you havent done anything for the week if you get opportunity for more than one and 70/8 hos not likely to be a big issue for the week anyway but the week following becomes a possible issue but more so when you would need to take the subsequent reset as complicated by two 1am to 5am periods to get that reset. Likely to require actual 38 + hours actual consecutive hours time sitting to encompass the two required periods and obtain that reset. Like its always been we`ll figure out what we need to do and manipulate the rules best we can. Elogs how ever greatly reduce options we can use. It is what it is, problem is load planning and dispatch is more so where the problem falls in their lap`s and they mostly industry wide struggle as it is now days and elogs really throw them curve balls they cant hit or even fowl off anymore so again drivers will suffer somewhat more than anyone else. I must say though i`m pleased the new hos adjustments are no worse than they are and mostly no big deal, could have approached game changing status had some more of the proposals been adopted that where not!