Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tax deductions for truck drivers

eurodaytona is offline Senior Member

Tax deductions for truck drivers

sponsored links
    As the time comes to file Federal and State taxes, I was wondering what you all knew about what deductions we could write off. I have heard a lot of different opinions and info from one driver to the next about what we could and could not deduct. Some say that line haul drivers are considered "over the road" since most run out of state and that city drivers are not able to deduct near as much as line haul drivers. In the past I have itemized and wrote off things like new boots and pens and window cleaner and stuff like that but I never increased my tax return because I made to much money and didn't have enough to write off. What do you guys know?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

yrc-atm is online now another day another $0.85
    Boots, gloves, coveralls, cell phone, union dues

Grumpy914 is offline Junior Member
    We are not considered over the road drivers because we return home every day and sleep at home. Therefore we cannot deduct meals. Or use the standard meal deduction that I've heard about. Other things like boots, gloves, ect. can be duducted if you go over 2 % of your adjusted gross income.

HowlerMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Talk with a tax accountant to be certain.

Drivers required to undergo medical examinations for employment can deduct any out-of-pocket costs they incur for exams.

Personal items a driver requires to work on the road are deductible. These include: flashlights, Safety Gear, binders, calculators, overalls or other specialized clothing, luggage, log book papers, coolers for food, gloves and even sunglasses. Telephone or Internet Access Fees including the whole cost of the phone and laptop. Shaving kits may be deductible.
    Clothing and if your required to wear a uniform, dry cleaning costs.

Costs a driver incurs while on the road and working are deductible. This includes meals or lodging as well as any tips paid.

Licensing Fees: The costs associated with obtaining and maintaining a commercial driver's license (CDL) is entirely deductible. Similarly, the costs of any continuing education required to maintain a license with an employer, state or federal agency are deductible.

Per diem truck drivers who start and end their day where they live are not generally eligible for a per diem deduction.

Remember to keep receipts or have access to proof of what you purchased via credit or debit card info.
    kenneth likes this.

Instigator is offline Does My Avatar Bother You
    Before pulling your hair out, do a quick guess-timate wether or not you will come anywhere near the standard deduction you will automatically get anyway.

Lazer is offline lied to again
    Truck drivers, can use the 'meals & incidental expenses'
    allowance even if your tour of duty returns you to your home domicle daily. This allowance is in the IRS code.This is designed to soften the blow of professions that operate under HOS regulations that limit how much money you earn per day. I have used it for years, filed my own return, and never had a problem. If your accountant claims you can't, fire that accountant and hire someone with a brain.
    Zipper likes this.

HowlerMonkey is offline Senior Member
    And remember, if the terminal you work out of isn't in the same town you are generally working in for most of your day or night they will still tax you in the city of the terminal so you can then submit for a refund for most of what's been deducted and paid to that city.
    kenneth likes this.

BusterNite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Truck drivers, can use the 'meals & incidental expenses'
    allowance even if your tour of duty returns you to your home domicle daily. This allowance is in the IRS code.This is designed to soften the blow of professions that operate under HOS regulations that limit how much money you earn per day. I have used it for years, filed my own return, and never had a problem. If your accountant claims you can't, fire that accountant and hire someone with a brain.
    I have done this for 20 plus years. I do a turn schedule and I return home every day. My lunch period is in another state. I use the standard daily meal allowance and this adds up to over $3000.00 per year. Standard meal allowance is $47.00 per day for each day worked. Add that up and then you can write off a percentage of that total.

eurodaytona is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info on this topic. I will look into it.

xeastend is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    Just be carefull on the phone. My accountant said you can only write off the biz portion of the cost.
    Not a huge amount,but can be troublesome if the rules are skirted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast