Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Is Conway a good company to work for?

tallcityboy is offline Junior Member
    sponsored links
    Thanks for all the replies guys. My job now for a government contractor pays the bills, but has all different hours. So working all three shifts in the same week is difficult, but I have done it. We get a $ amount for Health and Welfare, but I have to purchase my own individual health policy because what the company offers SUCKS. Their plan is over $600 a month just for me, and doesn't cover squat.

I'm just worried about not getting enough hours. I can't just work one or two days a week for the first couple of years. I know you have to pay your dues and start at the bottom, but will it be worth my while to stick around?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

Merdock is offline Kool-aid-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by tallcityboy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. My job now for a government contractor pays the bills, but has all different hours. So working all three shifts in the same week is difficult, but I have done it. We get a $ amount for Health and Welfare, but I have to purchase my own individual health policy because what the company offers SUCKS. Their plan is over $600 a month just for me, and doesn't cover squat.

I'm just worried about not getting enough hours. I can't just work one or two days a week for the first couple of years. I know you have to pay your dues and start at the bottom, but will it be worth my while to stick around?
    I just celebrated 23 years with this company and what I said 21 years ago still goes... I would not quit this company to go to work for another trucking company, I'd quit to get away from the industry.

The FMCSA Hours of service regulations prevents working multiple shifts in one week. Three shifts in one week would not happen. Long unusual shifts yes, burning the candle at both ends being caused by an employer, no. St. Louis is a big town, big terminal. Open applications for terminals are not posted on the company website unless there is truly a need for more drivers.

Does this company offer an opportunity for a career (long term employment), yes.

Thanks Merdock.

beerfd is offline Senior Member

There is not a lot of laying off, especially at a large service center. At our place if there is no driving for you, then there is plenty of dock work. And the pay stays the same as if you were driving. temps. and dockworkers would be laid off before any driver. As a Conway driver you are able to work whereever the work is even at other SC's. We have one seniority board, so all positions are available to you. The last driver in Dallas that was laid-off was in 2008
    Con-F-Trucker likes this.

trucker_clock is online now Junior Member
    there have been walk-abouts (borrowed drivers from other terminals) working the dock (and running linehaul runs, i assume) at st. louis for the past month or so, so i would definitely say they are short drivers and hours would be available to work. I can ask when I'm there monday night and post back my findings if it helps you out, OP
    beerfd likes this.

Con-F-Trucker is offline Senior Member
    Been here Ten Years I don't like everything they do nor Do I agree with it but they seem to know what they are doing I still have a job they Keep me Working and My Family Fed there is a lot to be said for that I wont Paint you a Rosey Picture but Ill say this Don't matter where you go there is going to be problem's and *******s all in all its a real decent place to work . You will hear a lot of folks whining and Bitching but after awhile you will realize its just that cause they know who's putting the Bacon on the Table they not going no where so I hope this helps you make a choice !!

conwayfool is offline Senior Member
    Its a great place to work if you like sub-service taking away your 150 mile run...

Trucker clock, that would be great.

Thanks for the info Con F Trucker. Keep the info coming everyone!

conway fool, I'm not sure what subservice is, as I have no LTL experience. Could you elaborate?

I appreciate any info anyone has. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so I would like enough of Conway's drivers thoughts to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Con-F-Trucker is offline Senior Member
    Trucker clock, that would be great.

Thanks for the info Con F Trucker. Keep the info coming everyone!

conway fool, I'm not sure what subservice is, as I have no LTL experience. Could you elaborate?

I appreciate any info anyone has. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so I would like enough of Conway's drivers thoughts to help me make my decision.

Thanks
    Sub -Service = outside Carriers Conway truckload , Swift ,ect , They are Supposed to run Only the miles where we would have to run empty miles this is supposed to cut down on the Empty miles we run how much it actually saves the Company I'm not privileged to these numbers lol in some caes's it actually creates work for us breaking pup's and shoveling the freight to there vans in other case's it loose's linehaul miles to linehaul drivers I'm sure there is benifit to the Company or they would not do it now how much work we loose or gain from it again not privileged to this info !! I do feel we do too much of this at time's but again I'm not an expert and not Privileged to the actual figures !!
    CenturyClass likes this.

micro brew is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    I would say it depends. Don't listen to the people that say this is worse than hell, but don't listen to those that tell you this is driving bliss either. It's a very good driving job, top ten easy probably top 5 on my opinion, but it's still a driving job and it sucks till you have some seniority.

Most of the people I see shredding this place on a daily basis in our All-Star drivers room couldn't make 50k with two jobs if they left here but that all is what it is. I drove otr and would say this is a top 10 driving job with UPS, FedEx Freight, OD, and Wal*Mart being better. Still, CWF is pretty good of u ask me..

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)