Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Full-Time Dock Workers

ForkliftRacer is offline Junior Member

Full-Time Dock Workers

sponsored links
    I periodically browse through the careers section of the FedEx website looking for full-time dock worker positions in the Chicago area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of the dozens of listings I have seen over the last few months, all but ONE have been for a part-time dock workers. So how often do they need full-time people? And how long does it take to become full-time if you start out as part time?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

ST21 is offline Junior Member
    At my center some have guys become fulltime the same day that they started and some guys had to wait years. It depends on center needs and how good you are. If there is an opening for fulltime they usually take the best part-timer not the one that has been there the longest.

What are the wages and benefits for full-time dock workers? And how much overtime (over 40 hours) can they get?

future driver is offline Member
    Go apply for driver apprentice. Thats what i did and i've been on the dock for a year +. considered full time even though i only get part time hours.

POPCORN is offline Senior Member
    Get on at Chicago Heights as a part-time dock hand. Show up on time and Do not call in sick. Move a lot of freight and build decks that will separate you from a lot of others on the dock. They will be needing full-time dock hands soon from what I am hearing.If you want to drive a truck that opportunity will be there also.

sharpshooter is offline Senior Member
    you can forget the word "overtime". That's a bad word at Fedex. If someone is getting overtime, they hire another part timer

Yeah, it's sad that more and more places are eliminating overtime. Although from what I hear, full-time dock workers at FedEx Freight get paid more than dock workers at other companies. How much would I be making per hour if I were to get hired for this job?

Franklin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by POPCORN View Post
    Get on at Chicago Heights as a part-time dock hand. Show up on time and Do not call in sick. Move a lot of freight and build decks that will separate you from a lot of others on the dock. They will be needing full-time dock hands soon from what I am hearing.If you want to drive a truck that opportunity will be there also.
    Why would they need full time dockworkers when they got rid of 19 year dockworkers when they decided they didn't need full time dockworkers that knew what they were doing? Thank goodness they figured that experienced drivers were important. The fact that they didn't think the same of dockworkers should tell you something about our operation. Go elsewhere.

sooperxtool is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Why would they need full time dockworkers when they got rid of 19 year dockworkers when they decided they didn't need full time dockworkers that knew what they were doing? Thank goodness they figured that experienced drivers were important. The fact that they didn't think the same of dockworkers should tell you something about our operation. Go elsewhere.
    It's quite the opposite at my SC... The full time dock workers are crap and a lot of the part timers (like myself) work 10x harder and move freight 10x faster. As far as I know and have been told, full time as a dock worker is not going to open up any time soon and there is no chance of proving oneself to have what it takes to make a full timers (or two...) position obsolete.

Just to put it in perspective, I have worked at FedEx for 10 months and they have asked me to train the new dockworkers, over asking some of the full timers that have been here for 7-10+ years.

sharpshooter is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    by 7-10yrs people stop drinking the cool-aid. "work smarter not harder"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast