Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: What would YOU do to make FXF better?

Jeff is offline professional cat herder

What would YOU do to make FXF better?

sponsored links
    Everybody always want's to point fingers at management so if you were in control and had the power, what would you want to change and what would you change it to?
    My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of my employer.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

westdriver is offline Senior Member
    Stop the micromanaging from upper managment
    let front line sup's make decisions
    let us work
    (don't sub work out to gypos )
    start firing people who refuse work
    my favorite saying , I dont have to work the
    dock, I'm a driver , REALLY ?
    make everybody adhere to the employees manual
    including management
    I could go on , and I will later

Clandestine_ice is offline The Grand Poobah
    I disagree. Why should a driver be required to work a dock? Is it not enough that he has to drive a few hours each way? Now if a guy has a 70 mile shuttle run, then I guess he doesn't have much choice unless he wants a light paycheck

fartknocker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clandestine_ice
    I disagree. Why should a driver be required to work a dock? Is it not enough that he has to drive a few hours each way? Now if a guy has a 70 mile shuttle run, then I guess he doesn't have much choice unless he wants a light paycheck
    Why would they pay a guy to sit if he has hours to work the dock?

hoodat is offline Member
    i would make it where you bid by senority dont care which board. you put in your time its up to you.
    1stsgtcrb, HubbaRocks and Critter like this.

silent trucker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westdriver View Post
    Stop the micromanaging from upper managment
    let front line sup's make decisions
    let us work
    (don't sub work out to gypos )
    start firing people who refuse work
    my favorite saying , I dont have to work the
    dock, I'm a driver , REALLY ?
    make everybody adhere to the employees manual
    including management
    I could go on , and I will later
    West, you don't build a world class company by lowering the standard of excellence! The micromanaging will let off, when folks start actually doing their job. Want examples? I see road drivers every day that do no pre-trip, attempt to drive out the gate with safety chains dragging, or flat tires, and then wonder why they get stopped and hauled short by the management on duty!!

As for subhauling freight, there are lanes like LA to Portland Oregon where 3 or 4 years ago, 66% of the drivers southbound from Portland were empty. How can you make money running even 15% empty miles, let alone 66%? The subhauls are designed to balance lanes. Company drivers run loaded both ways and the subhauls are to handle excess freight and prevent bouncing billboards.

ST

gg11 is offline Senior Member
    In the maintenance dept I would get rid of the maintenance coordinators and put outsourcing responsibilities back to the closest shop FMM (like former West footprint used to do). Those guys do nothing but piss off our vendors. The vendors used to bend over backwards for us if we were in a bind. Now they could care less if we have a road breakdown or high-priority need because they have been sh** on so much.
    We (the shops) also used to help coordinate line breakdown repairs. Now Central Dispatch won't even call the shop if they aren't sure who to use or who is closer to perform a breakdown repair. We have had tire vendors called for blowouts that were less than 10 miles from our shop. WTF??

Phantom 309 is offline Big Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by gg11 View Post
    In the maintenance dept I would get rid of the maintenance coordinators and put outsourcing responsibilities back to the closest shop FMM (like former West footprint used to do). Those guys do nothing but piss off our vendors. The vendors used to bend over backwards for us if we were in a bind. Now they could care less if we have a road breakdown or high-priority need because they have been sh** on so much.
    We (the shops) also used to help coordinate line breakdown repairs. Now Central Dispatch won't even call the shop if they aren't sure who to use or who is closer to perform a breakdown repair. We have had tire vendors called for blowouts that were less than 10 miles from our shop. WTF??
    Hmmm...now there's some good stuff. I hope this gets to the right ears 'cause this is for sure a area that needs improvement.
    Good post gg11, I didn't realize this was going on.

Clandestine_ice is offline The Grand Poobah
    Quote Originally Posted by fartknocker View Post
    Why would they pay a guy to sit if he has hours to work the dock?
    Who said anything about getting paid to sit in the parking lot? I have no problem with a guy sleeping and getting rest before he has to turn back. I realize you obviously don't like the idea of a guy just strictly driving but I guess it's just a matter of opinion

I've always had a problem with this policy. Driving should be left to drivers and loading/unloading should be left to dock professionals. I've seen hundreds of examples of pissed off drivers just cramming freight in the box with no regard to the company whatsoever. But I'm sure there's plenty of drivers who like the added benifit of dock work for extra money. But as for me? Give me the extra sleepy time

westdriver is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    you bid a run 400 and less you work the dock
    its all in black and white, this goes back to the employees
    handbook , what, the rules are for some people , and not all ?
    you put your time in , you bid something different
    Here's where I get in trouble
    we lowered our standards when we bought watkins and let them
    dovetail in
    we had hiring standards that went out the door
    sorry but if they could have got a job at fedex they would have
    And by the way , my run requires me to work the dock
    hopefully when some people retire , quit , get fired I'll get a
    non-dock bid

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast