Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JEEP JERK is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    i always thought smart post was gonna be a new branding for kinkos.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

SMOKESTACK is offline Administrator
    You would think they would of combined the 2 of them , maybe that is yet to come.

SIR HC is offline Junior Member
    If they combine them, that would be good for Stimpy's long term work wouldn't it! Kinkos isn't going any where! Stimpy- Have you heard anything about that, or does it seem to be it's own business?

Ken N Tx is offline FTW Retired
    From Google.

That moment came on April 18 when I ordered my first w00t shirt--not knowing the hilarity of inefficiency that would result from watching the daily tracking information on FedEx.com.

The nice folks at w00t sent my package out on April 21 using FedEx SmartPost. According to the FedEx website, the transit time is "2-7 days." The estimated time of arrival when I originally received the tracking information was April 28, a perfectly reasonable amount of time for a package containing a t-shirt to be shipped the 1000 miles that seperate Dallas and Madison.

So, FedEx, what happened?

According to the tracking information on FedEx.com, my package has now possibly travelled more than 2,900 miles and isn't expected to arrive until tomorrow. My package appears to have travelled to the FedEx hub in Denver (completely reasonable) and then ended up in New Berlin, Wis. on April 24. From there FedEx sent it past Madison to Brooklyn Park, Minn. and then it appears it was sent to Sioux Falls, ND? From Sioux Falls it was sent to Oak Creek, Wis. and is spending today travelling to Madison. It is scheduled to arrive at my place of residence tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sent it to...oh, I don't know...Fargo...just for giggles. Thankfully, I'm only waiting on a shirt.
    Another.
    Aug 11, 2010 5:19 AM Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST DALLAS, TX
    Aug 12, 2010 2:11 PM Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST HOUSTON, TX

Took them 33 hours to get from Dallas to Houston. How is that possible? Now, Iím only 3 hours away from Houston and according to Estimated Delivery Dates, it will get here after 6 more days! What in a world could be worse than this? I donít know much how logistics work, but I do know that something is not right here, so as a customer I will try to avoid SmartPost in any way I can. Wouldnít buy from that retailer again..

Stimpy is offline Wingnut
    Yes we have to wear a uniform. We pull 53 footers. The type of customers involved are amazon .com, ebay, and so on. During the Christmas rush there is a lot of fruit hauled. I think the service is like 7 or 8 days from the day shipped... not sure. I don't think Kinkos is that big of a player here in this division... I could be wrong. This division has been around for awhile... just hidden under the radar.

And I do drive a truck that says Ground on it.

Twice Pipes is online now Senior Member
    FedEx SmartPost
    FedEx purchased the parcel consolidator Parcel Direct in September 2004 from Quad Graphics. This FedEx Ground subsidiary was re-branded as FedEx SmartPost in October 2004. FedEx SmartPost specializes in the consolidation and delivery of high volumes of low-weight, less time-sensitive business-to-consumer packages, using the US Postal Service[1] for final delivery to residences. FedEx SmartPost’s customers include e-tailers and catalog companies. Through its network of 25 distribution hubs, FedEx SmartPost provides delivery Monday through Saturday to all residential addresses in the U.S., including P.O. Boxes and military destinations.

Pickups are completed by two different groups within FedEx Ground based on expected volume:

FedEx Ground Contractors pick up packages for "Smart Post Small Shipper" clients and transfer these packages to SmartPost within the FedEx Ground Hubs
    FedEx SmartPost trailers pick up packages for "Smart Post Large Shipper" clients and move the packages within the FedEx SmartPost network directly.
    The resulting service is one that is less expensive than FedEx Ground, but more expensive than regular mail, and ostensibly faster and more secure[citation needed], since it allows the use of FedEx tracking resources for most of the package's journey.

roogie is offline Senior Member
    We've been doing SmartPost in KC for quite a while, one of the things they do is take like thousands of catalogs printed in Atlanta and ship them to a place like KC. In KC we have a bulk mailing center so the company mailing the catalog only pays postage from KC to each catalog's destination, saving money and USPS capacity than they would had they mailed each catalog from Atlanta.

roog

SMOKESTACK is offline Administrator
    Thanks for the additional research guys.

zekemarlow is offline Member
    During the holiday season, we at the Columbia, Mo freight terminal deliver pallets of smartpost packages to the local post offices so they can deliver them. Google "fedex smartpost" and you'll find the info you need on it.
    Last edited by zekemarlow; 08-28-2010 at 12:19 AM.

TiredDvrsWife is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    I'm getting in a little bit late but I can tell you as a person that has to listen to people screaming "WHERE'S MY PKG??" all day, the Smartpost doesn't get that many calls. I'm not sure if that's due to not many using it or else people are too confused to figure it out. But I usually have to fill out "WHERE THE HE** IS MY PKG??!!??" when someone calls in about this. Posted on the website will be delivered to customer but customer is like What? Where?? And then it's a 10 minute call explaining that Fedex doesn't actually deliver the pkg, we just pick it up and take to sorting at your local PO.

I explained this piece of simple info to a young lady that had a sharp, clipped accent from overseas that now lives in the US, NY to be precise. I do recall HER stats. I stated that we didn't actually deliver the pkg and when it says online to call her local post office for more details then she needed to call the local post office. I was told to call it for her. I explained that I couldn't and if wanted details then do like it said online and call the freaking POST OFFICE. I was told in a snotty tone that WE sub contracted and to call the number MYSELF. I just filled out a "WTH IS MY PKG" and told her she'd get a call.

Bet she's STILL waiting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)