Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    rodedawg's Avatar
    rodedawg is offline Dockworker with a CDL
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,727
    sponsored links
    Quote Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
    No crying here, just want the real deal if I am offered a position. I still don't understand the whole working the dock thing. I think everyone should work a truly ridiculous trucking job before moving to ltl. Any ltl company. What I mean by ridiculous? ty CSA ratings that get your company dot'd every time you go thru a scalehouse. Sketchy equipment. The inability to make any real money without running illegal. School of hard knocks will help get minds right, believe you me.
    Some years back it was different than it is today. Then you hired on as a dockworker, or a city driver, or a road driver. Today, they have pretty much done away with just being a truck driver. Everybody does it all now. dock workers had to get a CDL. They don't hire truck drivers anymore. If you have a lot of years in, and you're at a big center, if they have day runs, those drivers are strictly truck drivers. Small (EOL) end of line centers strictly go to a hub and bring back freight for there city operation. They don't get any thru freight, therefore, no day runs. If you hire on as a road driver now, you will come in, hook a set, and drive to a hub and do the work that dock workers used to do. A road driver hiring on today is a dock worker with a CDL. I guess it's not bad if you don't mind working nights and driving a forklift. Some centers in big city's drive 30 or 40 miles to a hub and do dock work for 6 or 7 hours and then drive 30 or 40 miles back to there center. If you want to be a "truck driver", this is probably not what you're looking for?
    Life is short, enjoy it while you're here, It's not permanent !

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
    sponsored links
     
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    64
    ALL drivers are to be dock qualified. Aint no big thing, you work the dock you drive you get paid. Know the red shirts at that terminal well, good people. do your job and you'll do well. Best of luck to you.

  4. #23
    Matt's Avatar
    Matt is offline OTR tater chip hauler
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by rodedawg

    Some years back it was different than it is today. Then you hired on as a dockworker, or a city driver, or a road driver. Today, they have pretty much done away with just being a truck driver. Everybody does it all now. dock workers had to get a CDL. They don't hire truck drivers anymore. If you have a lot of years in, and you're at a big center, if they have day runs, those drivers are strictly truck drivers. Small (EOL) end of line centers strictly go to a hub and bring back freight for there city operation. They don't get any thru freight, therefore, no day runs. If you hire on as a road driver now, you will come in, hook a set, and drive to a hub and do the work that dock workers used to do. A road driver hiring on today is a dock worker with a CDL. I guess it's not bad if you don't mind working nights and driving a forklift. Some centers in big city's drive 30 or 40 miles to a hub and do dock work for 6 or 7 hours and then drive 30 or 40 miles back to there center. If you want to be a "truck driver", this is probably not what you're looking for?
    American freightways had shuttle runs so this is not a real new thing. City guys worked the dock back then also. I think the dock worker to driver is a good deal for guys wanting to get a CDL. It's not a bad thing because us "real" truckdrivers tend to be kinda lazy. It's no big secret what FedEx freight does so coming to work here should not be a big surprise. Now the national guys coming into this system can ***** because Watkins never had this system

  5. #24
    rodedawg's Avatar
    rodedawg is offline Dockworker with a CDL
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBoy View Post
    American freightways had shuttle runs so this is not a real new thing. City guys worked the dock back then also. I think the dock worker to driver is a good deal for guys wanting to get a CDL. It's not a bad thing because us "real" truckdrivers tend to be kinda lazy. It's no big secret what FedEx freight does so coming to work here should not be a big surprise. Now the national guys coming into this system can ***** because Watkins never had this system
    Back when I started with AF, they didn't have shuttle runs yet. some Road drivers did lay down runs, some did meet n turns, and extra board pretty much ran the system, but that was just a few states back then. It's a whole different world here now.
    Life is short, enjoy it while you're here, It's not permanent !

  6. #25
    Freight Trane is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    wrong forum

  7. #26
    Freight Trane is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    this thing is messed up

  8. #27
    chieftain's Avatar
    chieftain is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    I dont mind the dockwork, getting out and moving around aint a bad thing. I did figure there would be more driving work, but then again I joined this site to find out whats what.

  9. #28
    Matt's Avatar
    Matt is offline OTR tater chip hauler
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by chieftain
    I dont mind the dockwork, getting out and moving around aint a bad thing. I did figure there would be more driving work, but then again I joined this site to find out whats what.
    Glad your here. Thanks for posting

    The dock is not that bad, most of the time lol, sure lose weight at this place

  10. #29
    wikipie's Avatar
    wikipie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    239
    sponsored links
    fed ex won t "bring anything" stay where you are at if you want a predictable salary. right now they are trying to strong arm everybody and it s wearing thin..real quick.


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM
  2. 02-20-2013, 03:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin™
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Image resizer by SevenSkins
Advertising positioning by Digital Point
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com