Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Apostolic is online now Super Moderator

Once again a Semi got crunched under a bridge in Syracuse,NY

sponsored links

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

RenoRoadDriver is offline Reno Mini Hub
    11'6? Not even close.

There's an old railroad bridge on a main road near where I live that is 9'5 and very clearly marked and even it has been hit by a big truck at least twice. There's 2 other railroad bridges that are both 12'6 that are on roads that run parallel to each other and every year at least one of them gets hit.

Roadrunner73 is offline Senior Member
    9'6" dang I'd be dropping my head going under that in my personal vehicle. And to think a big truck thought he could fit. Unreal....

Any trucker that hits a low bridge their usual excuse is the GPS made me do it.
    However any trucker worth their salt should be able to judge the height of objects lower than their trailer.

I was a P & D driver for 45 years and knew what I could get under.
    If it was close,I never hammered down,I eased on up,and checked by looking out my door.
    Anything I couldn't make or was not sure of,I'd get the person behind me to help me back away.
    So I could find some place to turn around to find another way around.

All of the low bridge crashes I have found and posted over the years on trucking board.
    I never could understand why so many trucker have trashed their semi's?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner73 View Post
    9'6" dang I'd be dropping my head going under that in my personal vehicle. And to think a big truck thought he could fit. Unreal....
    W

A guy told me a story not long ago that when we were still Overnite he got his buddy hired on to do P&D and his buddy wasn't the brightest bulb and he hit a 10'7 bridge and totaled one of those old Internationals.

I see it as a service to the rest of us though, because the less of those old Internationals, the better. Whoever designed those should be in jail.

BubbaSkinner don't know when you hired on with Overnite?
    But I came on with them when they came into upstate NY to start the Rochester terminal.

The first tractors we had were the old flat back Mac's,we city drivers called them second story Mac's.
    They were an accident looking for a place to happen driving them on our city routes.
    Twin screws with no power steering,well at least with them monsters.
    They were high enough none of us would have ever misjudged any low over passes.

However we city slugs were very happy to see them hunks of junks get replaced with single axle International day cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaSkinner View Post
    W

A guy told me a story not long ago that when we were still Overnite he got his buddy hired on to do P&D and his buddy wasn't the brightest bulb and he hit a 10'7 bridge and totaled one of those old Internationals.

I see it as a service to the rest of us though, because the less of those old Internationals, the better. Whoever designed those should be in jail.

No idea why the random W is there...

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    BubbaSkinner don't know when you hired on with Overnite?
    But I came on with them when they came into upstate NY to start the Rochester terminal.

The first tractors we had were the old flat back Mac's,we city drivers called them second story Mac's.
    They were an accident looking for a place to happen driving them on our city routes.
    Twin screws with no power steering,well at least with them monsters.
    They were high enough none of us would have ever misjudged any low over passes.

However we city slugs were very happy to see them hunks of junks get replaced with single axle International day cabs.
    I'm only 23, I got hired in 2008 so I wasn't around to see those but I have been around trucks my whole life (dad's still driving and grandpa drove for nearly 50 years.)

Here are some old Overnite pictures I found (I love looking at old trucks)

and to this day, these are my favorite trucks to drive, out of all the trucks I have driven since I got my CDL....The old 17 series.

These things were a dream to drive. The shifted so smooth and turned like a jockey truck...Too bad we just got rid of all of ours last year!

sponsored links
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane BubbaSkinner.
    Yup I drove all of those tractors while working P & D for Overnite.
    None of them had power steering,so you youngster should be thankful.
    Trucking manufactures are building their units with power,and air conditioning.