Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pin Oak is offline Junior Member

Got the CALL....I am on cloud NINE..What can I expect at the Interview?

sponsored links
    I have been very fortunate that I have been called in for an interview next week. Can anyone give me any any insight to what kind of questions I can expect.A Wal mart driver told me that when I am givin the road test, before I back up, get out of my truck, walk back around it to make sure nothing is back there to hit..
    (Should I actually do that.) Never have done that before, as I always look around when I am setting up for the actual backing in.
    What about the pre-trip, are they looking hard at you when you are doing that?
    I have been driving a day cab for the last 13 years, and before that I drove a big sleeper unit over the road for 5 years. Should I explain to the person giving me the road test that its been a while since I drove a sleeper unit? (Should be no big deal)
    Does anyone know how long the interview might take?Any insight the interview process would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

Bullethead is offline Junior Member
    I wish I could give you some insight. The whole process has changed though. I don't know who the interview is with anymore, whether it's a combination of the Manager and a conference call or what. As for the road test, Talk to the Safety guy and ask him what he's looking for and then just do what you do best. Always be absolutely 100% honest. I wish you luck.

jingles is offline Junior Member
    you will be on a conference call with 2 people and the trans manager will be sitting with you,just answer honestly and be yourself,if they want you,you will road test and yes get out and look,and just drive like the professional that you are,sound horn when backing,good luck you will do fine and will be working with the premier driving job today

It was as you said jingles, the conference call was a video confernce, where I was talking to two people on the computer, they could see me, and I could see them, along with the trans manager in the office with me. Everyone was very professional.

After that, did the pre-trip, was told there was no time limit, so it took me about 30 minutes, as I was very thorough. After that, backing tests at the center, I had not read your post, so I didn't know that you were required to honk the horn.

Have never been on such a long road test, probably 30-35 miles. Everything fine, was told by the safety guy, that there was no issues except that I didn't honk the horn when backing.

They told me that I would hear back from them soon, they told me what they were offering was 5 days on and 2 days off, would work the weekend, would not be assigned a truck right off the bat.

A couple of questions if anyone could answer. Is there a large pay gap between a new guy, and a someone who has been working for Wal-mart for years. How much a week could a new guy expect a week, working 5 on and 2 off, and how long could I expect to work, before I could get a 5 on 5 off, or 7 on and 7 off, or some type of rotation, maybe a 6 on, and 3 off.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    you will be on a conference call with 2 people and the trans manager will be sitting with you,just answer honestly and be yourself,if they want you,you will road test and yes get out and look,and just drive like the professional that you are,sound horn when backing,good luck you will do fine and will be working with the premier driving job today

Got the call for my second interview. They must me intrested in me. Will be going up next week, (I live more than 200 miles from the distribution center).

Anyone have any insight about the second interview? I hope they will be able to at least tell me what I can expect as far as pay. They told me at the first interview that I would work 5 and be off 2, the same days every week, and I would work week ends.

I have never been able to find out exactly what Wal-Mart drivers make, or about their benefits or the costs of their benefits. The drivers I have heard are not allowed to discuss this information.

I have a good job now, but the company is going down hill.(Not YRC) I make $60,000-$63,000 a year now, I hope that what Wal-Mart offers is good enough to make the drive every week, and give up years of seniority, and 4 weeks vacation. I have rumors that some of their drivers make $100,000 a year or more, I wouldn't expect to make that the first year, but it would be hard to leave to make the same money, or a little bit more.

Any insight from any Wal-Mart drivers would be appreciated.

Richard Herbert is offline Senior Member
    Pin Oak, I do not know for sure how much walmart drivers make, but I talked to a guy delivering at our local walmart, and he said he works 5 days, and then is off 5 days, and he said he makes over $50,000 dollars a year. So to me, it sounds like $100,000 dollars a year would be possible, since this fella worked basically a half a year and makes $50,000. I talked to another walmart driver on the cb, he would not say exactly what he made, but he said even if you had to move across the country to work for walmart, it would be worth it, because he said after one year, you could transfer to another dist ctr closer to your home.
    Keep us posted after your next interview, and GOOD LUCK to ya.

Cub loboy is offline Junior Member
    The second interview is normally a job offer. You will be offered a shift, or choice of shifts, along with pay info. Mileage pay is just the base, "activity pay" is where you make the extra. If you are a real professional, you'll be working for a company that respects a real professional more than any you've ever seen. Morale is extremely high.

Good luck.

Bullethead is offline Junior Member
    Pin Oak, You can do considerably better pay wise than what your doing now. The 4 weeks vacation, it'll take a while to get there, 3 weeks @ 7 years. But I think its worth it, working conditions better, no hassles just do your job. treated well at the stores, vendors, DC's.

Richard Herbert is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how much "considerably better pay wise" is. I am thinking of applying with Wal Mart. I wish a Wal Mart driver or someone who knows would actually post the actual numbers someone could expect to make starting out. I guess it must be good, and they really must have to sign something saying they will not disclose the info, cause no-one ever tells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Pin Oak, You can do considerably better pay wise than what your doing now. The 4 weeks vacation, it'll take a while to get there, 3 weeks @ 7 years. But I think its worth it, working conditions better, no hassles just do your job. treated well at the stores, vendors, DC's.

sponsored links
    Cub loboy you were correct, the second interview was a job offer. Filled out paperwork, and went for a Drug screen(which is no problem) and DOT physical, which I did pass.

Interviewer said they will be doing a background check, and if everything comes back on that good, (which it will), I will be starting in the the next 3-4 weeks. He said they would allow me time to give my current employer a 2 week notice. Looking forward to starting with WalMart, the last place I ever plan to work.

Thanks everyone who gave me some insight as to what I might expect during the interview process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub loboy View Post
    The second interview is normally a job offer. You will be offered a shift, or choice of shifts, along with pay info. Mileage pay is just the base, "activity pay" is where you make the extra. If you are a real professional, you'll be working for a company that respects a real professional more than any you've ever seen. Morale is extremely high.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast