Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kevin653 is offline Senior Member

Log books for city driver

sponsored links
    Hi I am not a Yellow guy but a Teamster. Do your city guys have to fill out a log book? I heard there is something about the DOT and14 hour violations. Would appreciate any info. Thanx

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

brutus is offline Senior Member

the only time a city driver has to fill out a logs .if he drivers over 100 (air-miles)mile one way.or he goes over 12 hrs of work and that with a lunch.

C-2. What is an "air-mile"?
    The term "air-mile" is internationally defined as a "nautical mile" which is equivalent to 6,076 feet. Thus, the 100 air-miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles, and 150 air-miles are equivalent to 172.6 statute miles.
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...#_Toc111021242

StewieGriffin is offline Senior Member

i thought they meant "the way the crow flies" with the air mile thing. 100 mile radius, if you will.

chris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin653
    Hi I am not a Yellow guy but a Teamster. Do your city guys have to fill out a log book? I heard there is something about the DOT and14 hour violations. Would appreciate any info. Thanx
    AT Roadway in NC, we have to fill out logs if we work over 12 hours or cross over to another state(VA) which we do, and if we are in lay off and work.

BIG STEVE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by christopher3573
    AT Roadway in NC, we have to fill out logs if we work over 12 hours or cross over to another state(VA) which we do, and if we are in lay off and work.
    first thing you must remember that we teamsters do not recognize the 34 hour restart under any circumstances as per the IBT
    second thing there are two daily HOS service clocks to be aware of
    one that tells you when you have to fill out a log and one that tells you your maxium hours for that day
    and then there is the HOS calculation for a 7 day / 60 or a 8 day / 70 hour clock to go by
    city drivers by the 7 / 60 and road by the 8 /70 again as per the IBT
    as per the FMCSR the HOS rule states for the 100 air mile driver
    the driver of a property carrying motor vehicle is exempt from the hours of service regulations if the driver operates within 100 air mile radius from the normal reporting location and the driver reports back to and is released from work at the same reporting location within 12 hours of starting work. in order to take advantage of this excemption, this driver must also be off duty at least 10 hours after each 12 hour day and does not exceed 11 hours of driving after 10 consecutive hours off duty
    this is the first daily clock to be aware of
    and simply states that you do not have to fill out a log for that day as long as you return to your normal reporting location and are released from duty within 12 hours of coming on duty
    all hours from the start of your duty tour to the finish are used in calculation of this period. inclusive of lunch, breaks or whatever

for example you start at 6am and are released from duty at 5:55, you do not have to fill out a log
    if i were you i'd carry a log book with you as when your day starts you may not know whether you will exceed 12 hours and if stopped without one you may have a problem if indeed you do go over 12

the second daily clock maxium hours for drivers is 14 with a one day special exemption of 16 provided you meet the criteria stipulated below
    calculating these hours also are inclusive of your lunch, breaks etc
    for example you start work at 6am you cannot operate a cmv after 8pm and be legal
    this part applies to most all road drivers
    however there is a special exemption that all local city drivers qualify for and possibly some road drivers also
    1- those drivers who return to their normal reporting location and are released from duty at that location for the previous 5 duty tours
    2- the driver has returned to the normal reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty after being off duty for 10 consecutive hours
    3- the driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days unless taking a 34 hour off duty period during that time

keep in mind whether you exceed 14 hours by one minute or two hours or any time in between that counts as your one day exemption
    you cannot divide that to apply to 2 or more days

when calculating your 60 or 70 hour duty status unlike your daily calculations you log your lunch periods as off duty for the 60 or 70 hour calculations

two scenarios occur with the teamster restriction of the 34 hour restart
    you can be in violation of the HOS in a contractual sense but you can still be legal from a DOT standpoint

example
    if you are over hours contractually and something happens
    the DOT will calculate whether you are in violation legally, applying the 34 hour restart automatically, if that is the case and not fine you
    however you may still be in violation of the contract and subject to any action from both the union and the company

hope this info helps:busted_blue:

jimmy g is offline Kook

In Indy, we not only have to fill out a log after 12 hours.....

We ALSO keep a monthly, day by day "log recap", or hours worked card including the number of hours worked that day (calculated from time-clock punches); number of hours last 7 days; number of hours worked last 6 days; and number of hours available to stay under 60. Looks just like the inside front of the log book. Signed, Company ID number, everything.

They told us every terminal does this?????? They also said it was caused by a Denver driver taking an exact-express load straight to the DOT, since he was forced to run over hours because of the exact freight..... I find it ironic that this card came to be here immediately after I went to the Steward and TM to get guys called back after 9/11 because many not laid off were running over hours. I was then and still am called every name in the book for this. All I was doing was trying to get guys called back to work instead of a few being rich and those guys starving............
    (Thumper, to Bambi) "Get up and try again!"

Obviously, my ideas are mine alone, and are NOT the ideas of my Employer!!!!

BIG STEVE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy g
    In Indy, we not only have to fill out a log after 12 hours.....

We ALSO keep a monthly, day by day "log recap", or hours worked card including the number of hours worked that day (calculated from time-clock punches); number of hours last 7 days; number of hours worked last 6 days; and number of hours available to stay under 60. Looks just like the inside front of the log book. Signed, Company ID number, everything.

They told us every terminal does this?????? They also said it was caused by a Denver driver taking an exact-express load straight to the DOT, since he was forced to run over hours because of the exact freight..... I find it ironic that this card came to be here immediately after I went to the Steward and TM to get guys called back after 9/11 because many not laid off were running over hours. I was then and still am called every name in the book for this. All I was doing was trying to get guys called back to work instead of a few being rich and those guys starving............
    the yellow terminals here in ny also do it and dispatch actually goes one further and tells guys what they have left for the next day
    i guess they paid a big fine

why would the guys get down on you
    are they that greedy
    if i was one of the guys coming off layoff and found out the greedy bastards were goin over hours and forcing me to stay out longer than i needed to be there would be some heavy *** whoopin goin down

one thing that sheet does instruct you wrong is in the area of coffee breaks
    they shouldn't be considered off duty, they are too short
    bro you did the right thing so don't worry
    don't they realize you could've ratted them out to the DOT instead of addressing the problem internally and cost them an easy $300 per violation

we had a similar problem on my job the only difference is that our list was shrinking and not growing
    yeah the ot is good but the job does not grow
    and when the job does not grow the H&W takes a hit
    that is one of the reasons funds are in trouble today

ROADY is offline Senior Member

log books

amend brother a teamster brother who realizes what is going on. i wish some of our local ba's would understand that forcing companies to hire more teamsters instead of giving tons of work to cartage agents who usually are non union does not help our health welfare and pension funds. i always thought the idea of a union was to grow and get stronger not stay the same size or shrink.yeah overtime is good to a point but i feel protecting our funds by hiring more teamsters to do our work is more important.

kevin653 is offline Senior Member

Thanx guys for your time and responses.

ruralmaiden is offline Junior Member

16 hr rule and state lines

sponsored links
    [the second daily clock maxium hours for drivers is 14 with a one day special exemption of 16 provided you meet the criteria stipulated below
    calculating these hours also are inclusive of your lunch, breaks etc
    for example you start work at 6am you cannot operate a cmv after 8pm and be legal
    this part applies to most all road drivers
    however there is a special exemption that all local city drivers qualify for and possibly some road drivers also
    1- those drivers who return to their normal reporting location and are released from duty at that location for the previous 5 duty tours
    2- the driver has returned to the normal reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty after being off duty for 10 consecutive hours
    3- the driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days unless taking a 34 hour off duty period during that time

hey big guy..does the exemption still apply if the run is regional (state to state and then home within the same day) or does the standard 14 hr rule stick here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast