Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
sponsored links

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Defective 5th wheels on yellow dollies

Wrench97 is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    You can do a Visual Inspection and log it, but if it's a partial hook or a high hook, it's still going to come off.

The question I have is when you get a pre-hook at a relay how do you stretch the dolly 5th wheel/rear pup when the air lines are hooked up and all the brakes release?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement
    sponsored links

JV4344 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by series60 View Post
    Defective 5th wheels on yellow dollies.

Lately I've been hearing of a bunch of dropped trailers around the company because of these Holland brand 5th wheels coming uncoupled after the driver has driven sometimes 100's of miles.
    Recently I heard down in Cincinnati that a driver has been fired for dropping one after the garage had determined that there was a problem (defect) with this unit.
    Can anyone else share their information on here about anyone else going through this & how to protect his or her job. What to look for, problem signs.
    I've asked many different mechanics & received many conflicting instructions on what to look for. Especially concerning the adjustment bolt sticking out the front.
    You need to report this problem to your area OHSA, and demand they look into it, this was done in Ga. The company will continue to blame drivers for there equipment failure as long as they can if you let them get away with it.
    hairs2u likes this.

Spaghetti is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JV4344 View Post
    You need to report this problem to your area OHSA, and demand they look into it, this was done in Ga. The company will continue to blame drivers for there equipment failure as long as they can if you let them get away with it.
    Break down the sets in the yard, and take pictures of all the ungreased 5th wheels, too. I know the I-Phone does have a good picture quality to take pictures, and then email them to OSHA.
    hairs2u likes this.

tutone710 is offline Your Retirement Canceled

sandy pope

Quote Originally Posted by R-14Driver View Post
    Well I guess it was to good to last !
    Safety first
    yrcslave likes this.

tom3901 is offline Senior Member
    The only answer...Happened to me.. The company will NEVER admit equipment failure ...EVER....They will always claim you didn't do a pre trip.. If they ever admit equipment failure they need to fix the entire fleet.. Cant happen.. So they throw the driver under the bus. Its easier and more cost effective rather then fixing the faulty equipment. I drove 439 miles on a fifth wheel and came uncoupled in the yard at the end of my trip. I didn't drop the trailed but was fired for the trailer leaving the fifth wheel. The faulty switches on the tractor or the worn out 1985 yellow dollies will come undone. They have know it for years but will not address the issue. I personally know of at least 15 people that have dropped trailers after driving for a period of time. All given chargeable s.. They WILL NOT ADMIT equipment failure ever..
    hairs2u likes this.

Bart is offline Senior Member
    Is this problem only happening on dollies with the Holland 5th wheels I have heard a few tractor dis-connect stories latlely ?

bootleg707 is offline Senior Member
    I drag sets across the Cross Bronx every nite and they hold. I always watch set being made and pre trip making sure jaws closed and no gap between 5th wheel and trl. and yes I do disconnect air lines and drag tail to feel confident. Takes a few minutes but I feel good then go in hit payrec and get paid!

mud
    mud is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
    break down the sets in the yard, and take pictures of all the ungreased 5th wheels, too. I know the i-phone does have a good picture quality to take pictures, and then email them to osha.
    ah-huh.....

HiwayHombre is offline Senior Member
    interesting thread. Anytime I have a hook that appears questionable, I block the supply air at the rear of the lead, blow off dolly res. (Yellow dollies) and then pull hard to check hook on rear trailer. I do that frequently in the winter because I know that cold grease can gum up the jaw mechanism in the 5th wheel which will affect its ability to lock in place as its designed to do.

Personally, Ive been on a LOA since early last year but I've been hearing thru the grapevine that dropped trailers are increasing in frequency. I know that I'm only preaching to the choir here, but drivers need to quit fretting about getting out of the gate in record time and perform a good, comprehensive pretrip insp. Even though the company only gives lip service to it, safety is still job 1. Ultimately it is our (drivers) responsibility to ensure that our equipment is safe, compliant and ready to hit the street. If it takes more than one walk around to be satisfied, do it! For your sake and the sake of the motoring public.
    sundrop03 and layoffsucks like this.

tom3901 is offline Senior Member
    sponsored links
    you can pretrip these trucks till the cows come home. If you have a faulty jaw that decides its time after NO preventative maintenance, you cant catch that as a driver. YOU cant catch a faulty air release in the tractor that back pressure goes through. These dropped trailers are happening hours into the trip and not on the ready line after pulling out. Its the equipment not the drivers. I am sure some don't pretrip but really how can anyone catch some of this garbage that is happening. They will not accept or acknowledge equipment failure because...1. they would have to fix all the trucks or at least inspect.. 2. they would set them selves up for a lawsuit if they acknowledge equipment failure and didn't address the whole fleet. 3. easier and cost effective to give a driver a chargeable and life goes on. believe me they lose no sleep over this. They had all drivers sign (yellow) fifth wheel inspection letters. You were not to move a truck with a bent Dollie handle.. Laughable, the yard would have a sh@@@@ fit if they had to rehook. The shop would say its good to go and not want to fix it...The managers would ***** and get upset with you as a driver for doing what they wanted you to do. Oh that's right not what they wanted to do but what the lawyers wanted to pretend to do to cover the corp....
    series60 and hairs2u like this.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast