09/02/2002 a Sad Day for Many as Legendary Consolidated Freightways was No More.

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
PREMIUM
Credits
The phone rings and a recorded message say's " This is John Brinko ceo of Consolidated Freightways, hope you are having a good time with your family on this labor day. Please call this 800 number as we have important information about Consolidated Freightways" the message was " don't show for your next scheduled shift as CF is out of business" click. Just like that it was over. A legendary company was gone. 20 years ago today.

cf-down.md.jpg

The phone rings and a recorded message say's " This is John Brinko ceo of Consolidated Freightways, hope you are having a good time with your family on this labor day. Please call this 800 number as we have important information about Consolidated Freightways" the message was " don't show for your next scheduled shift as CF is out of business" click. Just like that it was over. A legendary company was gone. 20 years ago today.

cf-down.md.jpg

I was a casual at New Penn during the 94 strike, so they had me picket at a CF barn. Our steward didn't want our TM to see picketing, since I was trying to make the list.
I worked at Nationsway during that strike & the owner signed a "Me Too" to the Nmfa being negotiated so we kept working. We put on all the guys from CF that needed to work on casual at my barn & had a strike fund going to keep people from being starved out. After I caused NW to go under I went to work at CF.

I worked at Nationsway during that strike & the owner signed a "Me Too" to the Nmfa being negotiated so we kept working. We put on all the guys from CF that needed to work on casual at my barn & had a strike fund going to keep people from being starved out. After I caused NW to go under I went to work at CF.
I think that era of good people, like yourself, doesn't really exist today. That was a great deed on your part. Actually that CF barn became A Nationsway barn in Scranton

cf-down.md.jpg
CF property in Bridgeview Illinois now a stadium

Screenshot_20220903-05254822acfab35f3d5d6ed.md.png

I remember distinctly meetings where we were told”don’t worry about those Con Way guys, there after that non profitable cheap 300-400 mile next day freight. Here at CF were after that profitable long haul freight”. Was only there for two years after my gig at CFCC vanished into ABF oblivion but it was enough to make me see the writing in the wall and move on. Greatly enjoyed my time at both CFCC and CF.

cf-down.md.jpg
10 years at cf, best job , working with best people in the industry, retired now, owe it to CF for hiring me back in the day,

Solid union for sure in Jersey. Pretty sure the whole system was. Another great job gone by the wayside. Damn shame.
In Jersey, its the vig.

A little something extra.

The whole damn state ran on dollars. I remember a tiny little Restaurant called the Ranch deep in New Jersey off a small state road by a river. If you drove long enough and put up with shoehorning that rig into a spot with three others you got to have a good home cooked meal.

The State legislated all trucks take the turnpike or interstate. So that ended that. Used to get up towards new england with no tolls via newburgh provided you had the horsepower to do it in a timely manner.