09/02/2002 a Sad Day for Many as Legendary Consolidated Freightways was No More.

He drove upstate New York & was never allowed to use toll roads. Company policy?
Most all older Companies had a no toll road policy.
Before deregulation time was not as much as a factor as it is today. Delivery times were reasonable and "it got there when it got there".
Unless there was no reasonable alternative to toll roads you took the "back way".
I can think of many of old Overnites toll avoiding routes.

Most all older Companies had a no toll road policy.
Before deregulation time was not as much as a factor as it is today. Delivery times were reasonable and "it got there when it got there".
Unless there was no reasonable alternative to toll roads you took the "back way".
I can think of many of old Overnites toll avoiding routes.
Take the back roads ,or spend the lunch money on tolls , a rig in Illinois toll was 1.25 and a big mack meal with tax was 3.27

GOING BACK TO THE 60'S, BRANCH AND ST.J
WOULD JUMP ON AND OFF THE CONNECTICUT PIKE BEFORE THE TOLLIHOUSE.
COUPLE OF THE WELL-TO-DO TOWNS PATROLLED TO KEEP THE TRUCKS OUT.

BRANCH HAD A HEAVY LOAD ROUTE FROM CT.PIKE THRU DANIELSON THAT AVOIDED THE SCALES AT CT./MASS. LINE AND PAID 2 HOURS TO THE DRIVERL

BRANCH HAD A HEAVY LOAD ROUTE FROM CT.PIKE THRU DANIELSON THAT AVOIDED THE SCALES AT CT./MASS. LINE AND PAID 2 HOURS TO THE DRIVERL
At Maislin a long time ago, when we came out of Montreal with heavy loads (newsprint, etc.) bound for Jersey, we were routed to stay on the Thruway to Nyack (instead of getting off at Suffern and heading south on 17) and going down 9W to I95 to avoid the scales at Mahwah. What fun that was, Not!

Just thinking of all those tolls on the Ct. Pike, some 8 or 12 toll plazas in 108 miles. Kept you awake pretty much. It seemed every time you got going, slow it down again. Oh boy!

Just thinking of all those tolls on the Ct. Pike, some 8 or 12 toll plazas in 108 miles. Kept you awake pretty much. It seemed every time you got going, slow it down again. Oh boy!
Some still like that except automated overhead scanners , then get jammed at line of next state toll plaza ,too many arrive too fast

Some still like that except automated overhead scanners , then get jammed at line of next state toll plaza ,too many arrive too fast
Mass Pike eliminated toll booths/scanners at entrance/exit ramps and implemented overhead scanners on the Pike between exits. Computer knows from the scanners where you got on and where you got off. Nice system, no slowing down for tolls.

Mass Pike eliminated toll booths/scanners at entrance/exit ramps and implemented overhead scanners on the Pike between exits. Computer knows from the scanners where you got on and where you got off. Nice system, no slowing down for tolls.
I got a ticket from Miami for being on their toll road.
I didn't know I was on their toll road.
Had to send them $14.

Yes it was, till someone was killed at a toolbooth. I believe that's what started the push to eliminate them.
7-11 had their own distribution co. , called Southland Distribution. one of their trailers took out a few cars and a toll booth in Stratford Conn. on I-95

The phone rings and a recorded message say's " This is John Brinko ceo of Consolidated Freightways, hope you are having a good time with your family on this labor day. Please call this 800 number as we have important information about Consolidated Freightways" the message was " don't show for your next scheduled shift as CF is out of business" click. Just like that it was over. A legendary company was gone. 20 years ago today.

cf-down.md.jpg
Just read where john brinko has died, rest in hell

While we are on the subject of cameras on roads, has anyone had a ticket for speeding or running a red light when observed by a camera?
The city of Wilmington had to do away with its cameras.
The money was intended for the school system but the city kept it for itself.