Yellow | "1" thing could save YRC.......1 company

Where a merger made sense, and where YRC dropped the ball, IMO, was not merging Yellow and Roadway shortly after the Roadway acquisition. Both companies basically offered the same service; it didn't make sense to run them as competing entities. I never understood how a Yellow rep could be at a customer one day, then have the Roadway rep in the day after undercutting him when they're both eating out of the same trough.

They had to know the consequences of a name change and merge and kept it separate as long as business supported it. They could have tweaked it for efficiency if given time and the meltdown had not happened

Give it a break Joe. Chicago did not create the mess this company is in.:ranting2:

Without a doubt Chicago did not create the mess the company is in but it pulled the life support with the vote cuz that caused the bondholders to back off. The lack of bondholder support is making a statement like.."do something about the vote before we come aboard" Bondholders got the upper hand and are holding 35,000 jobs hostage

They had to know the consequences of a name change and merge and kept it separate as long as business supported it. They could have tweaked it for efficiency if given time and the meltdown had not happened

Without a doubt Chicago did not create the mess the company is in but it pulled the life support with the vote cuz that caused the bondholders to back off. The lack of bondholder support is making a statement like.."do something about the vote before we come aboard" Bondholders got the upper hand and are holding 35,000 jobs hostage

If it weren`t for OVERSPENDING,there are no hostages,or life support!!!

Bash me if needed (not a YRC employee), but I see one thing that could save this Yellow caused mess. That is ONE company...........no New Penn, no USF Holland, no USF Reddaway, no Reimer. Will jobs be lost, yes but why have 2-3 YRC terminal operations in some cites??

Just one company (YRC) that has all of the resources. Merge everything to be one company, cut ALL of the overlap, get rid off the CRAP Executives/management/operations/drivers and be one company that would offer the best. Freight is quite simple.........pick it up, move it, deliver it on time and damage free!! If it is going to be late, notify the customer.

Now will this happen, likely not. But it they did this, with success could be unstopable and would grow.
Your wrong, why would you possibly use the YRC name. That is what brough down some of the most profitable regionals.

Now i could see using the USF name or Holland or USF Holland, or the New Penn name but i would distance myself from the YRC or YRCW name immediately as it has been a failure from start to finish.

Not bashing you, but giving a more obvious choice since you are not a YRC employee, you need to be educated about the worhless value of the YRC and YRCW brand name. Boomer

What you're effectively saying is shut down the regionals. Sounds easy, but it's not going to "get 'er done."

- Two of the regionals are profitable; New Penn and Reddaway (barely.) It would be foolish to shed something that's making you money.

- All of the freight the regionals are hauling isn't going to necessarily follow YRC National. The regionals often times have better transit times in the same lanes as National does.

- The Yellow/Roadway merger was a mess. Imagine doing that all over again, but instead of rolling two companies together you'd be rolling four together. Lost freight = lost customers.

- I think (but am not sure) that shutting down any of those companies would cause large sums of money to be due to their respective pension funds immediately.

Where a merger made sense, and where YRC dropped the ball, IMO, was not merging Yellow and Roadway shortly after the Roadway acquisition. Both companies basically offered the same service; it didn't make sense to run them as competing entities. I never understood how a Yellow rep could be at a customer one day, then have the Roadway rep in the day after undercutting him when they're both eating out of the same trough.

But the regionals are different. They offer distinctly different services in different regions. Their product and brand would cease to exist under your scenario. All you'd have left is YRC National, which incidentally, has the worst operating numbers in the whole YRCW portfolio.

the way i heard it, was, yellow sales force was undercutting roadway prices, all the time! but, it don't matter much, at this point in time.

IMO....YRC should sell off all the x-Roadway equipment, and employees to Conway. That would have been a better merger, rather than Yellow. Conway and Roadway share the same work rules, management skills, brain-washed drivers that vote Yes to work for a lesser wage and without a pension. Now that would be a harder company to compete with on the road. American drivers/Measters that work like slaves, and that share the same equal knowledge of a foreigner. Now that would definately be a way to save our jobs and our pensions.

I work at Con-Way and we dont get to vote on pay-cuts they just stick us...:ranting2:

funny how fed -ex was able to buy american freightways and watkins..they put it under their brand immediately..not the way yrc was handeled....yellow, roadway, new penn and holland all competed against each other for the same freight....and fyi..its still going on with yrc, holland and new penn..its dumb....how can u have a yrc terminal and a new penn terminal on the same block????

who ever started this thread is really out of touch with 2nd day and over night regional freight.yellow and roadway have proven time and time again that they cannot and will not meet the needs of the next day and second day customers.if YRC merges the regional units into YRC these customers will flock to conway,fed-ex and old D.the only way they help thier corp is to spin off or sell the regional companys and create some operating income from the proceeds.

funny how fed -ex was able to buy american freightways and watkins..they put it under their brand immediately..not the way yrc was handeled....yellow, roadway, new penn and holland all competed against each other for the same freight....and fyi..its still going on with yrc, holland and new penn..its dumb....

That's an easy one. American Freight and Watkins were not the best of brands and were better off with the FedEx brand.

QUOTE=imovaherenow;765033]how can u have a yrc terminal and a new penn terminal on the same block????

Just think of it as good brands mean everything. If customer uses or wants New Penn they call New Penn. Not YRC. Maybe they wouldn't use YRC under any conditions. They each have different areas they service.

Bash me if needed (not a YRC employee), but I see one thing that could save this Yellow caused mess. That is ONE company...........no New Penn, no USF Holland, no USF Reddaway, no Reimer. Will jobs be lost, yes but why have 2-3 YRC terminal operations in some cites??

Just one company (YRC) that has all of the resources. Merge everything to be one company, cut ALL of the overlap, get rid off the CRAP Executives/management/operations/drivers and be one company that would offer the best. Freight is quite simple.........pick it up, move it, deliver it on time and damage free!! If it is going to be late, notify the customer.

Now will this happen, likely not. But it they did this, with success could be unstopable and would grow.

imahernow said:
funny how fed -ex was able to buy american freightways and watkins..they put it under their brand immediately..not the way yrc was handeled....yellow, roadway, new penn and holland all competed against each other for the same freight....and fyi..its still going on with yrc, holland and new penn..its dumb....how can u have a yrc terminal and a new penn terminal on the same block????

I believe the ultimate plan WAS to put everyone together; or at least to merge the main two, and sell the Regionals, or at least to spin them off.

I don't think Zollars counted on his buddy, Obama, and the Bad Economy. Too much Debt taken on during the Bush Years, caused too much crashing Values. Credit Shrunk-- no one is buying. Then Obama's destructing of everything Capitalistic-- no one will expand or buy now for there is too much uncertainty of what the taxes will be/ what the healthcare situation will be/ what the EPA /Cap and Tax laws will be.

One way or another it always comes back to James Carville's one rule of thumb: "It's the Economy, Stupid!" Carrying this much debt, with a horrible economy that the government is making worse day by day will in the end, destroy the company......There is oversaturation of LTL companies; and no one is buying, so no one is shipping. Someone will collapse. Fed-Ex and UPS bought their expansions with Cash. Zollars expanded with Debt. Pretty easy to guess which one survives.....

who ever started this thread is really out of touch with 2nd day and over night regional freight.yellow and roadway have proven time and time again that they cannot and will not meet the needs of the next day and second day customers.if YRC merges the regional units into YRC these customers will flock to conway,fed-ex and old D.the only way they help thier corp is to spin off or sell the regional companys and create some operating income from the proceeds.

New Penn would love this...From your keyboard to Dollar Bill's ears...:woohoo1::popcorn::popcorn:

The way I look at it by having different brands its kinda like a motel chain. You have 4 diferent motels one on each corner. Each for a different level of service. This way you get the best in all 4 corns for the different types of people or freight. with all the different type of freight we haul with all brands it would be impossable to put under one roof. Each brand specializes in a little bit different type of freight. Well that just how I see it. What do I know?????

You have the right idea, the problem is the implementation/deployment...The main problem with the Yellow-Roadway merge was with the way it was rushed, and the decision to "back down" yellows IT (Information Technology) infrastructure to roadway's antiquated system. Roadways IT should have been upgraded to what yellow was using long before the merger, which would have made a 500% difference in the outcome... We went from a fairly high class system written for a huge operation with info on any bil or trailer available to any employee to a mid '80's (at best) IT system written and set-up for for very small operation that doesn't scale well at all to what it's being used for...prime example: placarding...yellow's system automatically set the trailer's placards to match the load, including not allowing foodstuffs on a trailer with poison, and vice versa, immediately, while loading. YRC spent the first 2 weeks after the merge with NO idea what was on any trailer, or anywhere in the system. THAT is what cost us 30-40% of our business. Whatever the cost of upgrading the merged companies would have been, it would have been less than the lost revenue just in March alone.
I personally feel that yellow's first computerized system was written after analyzing roadway's, and seeing what needed improving and what was missing during normal operations at a large terminal.

I could not have put that any better.:clap:

and sell the Regionals, or at least to spin them off. That's fine then why did they buy them?

not sure I know; maybe to keep them alive. Fits the same pattern as Preston/ Saia though. Buy a parent company, close what you don't want; spin off the remainder as supposedly independent. I wonder if the Board of Directors isn't the same people.......

I know nothing, but figure after they merged Y and R, that they wanted to sell Holland to pay off the remaining debt; by then the economy had crashed, and Holland was worthless by then........

and sell the Regionals, or at least to spin them off. That's fine then why did they buy them?

If I was management. I want to make money. I would use Roadway's system too. The computer system is out of date, easier to forge the books. Trip sheets are different, harder for the drivers to keep track of their time and info. That helps my company to save money. Most of the drivers are uneducated on their union rights, never file grivances. If they do file grievences, I will only be punish them later. Most of them are affraid to speak up for themselves. Basically, Roadway is the closest union company to being a non-union company. They had a strong work ethics that were favorable to a non-union stragety. They drive illegal at the expense of the companies will, rather than making safe/smart decisions for themselves. I would want drivers who will act without thinking. Why would I want to treat people like a person? I would treat people like ::shit:: and they will harder for my company until they get some type of satifaction from me. I would say nice job, now get back to work. I would intimidate them, by threatening the employees that I will shut down unless they voted Yes to take concessions. I need to buy the new 2010 Chevy SS Camaro, have some extra cash for a poker game in Las Vegas, or whatever line of ::shit:: I would feed my company. They will eat it and they will like it. I know that sounds all too familiar, but thats the way I would want it. The more uneducated the drivers are on rules and regulations, and on the union contracts, the easier it is for me to get the freight transported. If I was management thats what I want. I would even throw some illegal immagrants into the mix to protect my financial security. :biglaugh:

That would be ME that started this! It is NOT me that is "out of touch", but you!! Just take a look at R+L, Con-way, Estes............they do a TON of next day and long haul lanes WAY better than YRC and are successful at it.

What I am saying is pull the best of the best from ALL YRC companies, clean off the chalk board, market the HELL out of it and start with getting regaining the customer confidence. Why do you think that YRC lost revenue 2009 over 2008...........customers are scared and will not get in the middle.

Spin off the regionals? Like I have said time after time......who would buy a regional Teamster company with an underfunded pension?

Now what previous posted said, maybe the YRC name is too tarnished and USF should be the name. What I am saying it that EVERYONE (Executives, management, drivers, etc) need to get their heads out of that dark unsanitary location and fix this mess!!

Do this and there would be wide support from the shareholders, banks and the customers. All of these people would need to know that the "SLACKERS" are gone that continue to keep this mess afloat!

Kinda funny that I have a 2010 YRC calendar here that has printed on it" Be confident. It's a YRC delivery"

They need to practice what they preach!!!

The way I look at it by having different brands its kinda like a motel chain. You have 4 diferent motels one on each corner. Each for a different level of service. This way you get the best in all 4 corns for the different types of people or freight. with all the different type of freight we haul with all brands it would be impossable to put under one roof. Each brand specializes in a little bit different type of freight. Well that just how I see it. What do I know?????

You are 100% right. It's about diversification of the product and market share. Many of the hotel chains are owned by a parent company that owns other hotel brands. Accor and Hilton for example, each own ten or so hotel brands. There are some people who will not stay at a Hampton but will stay at a Embassy Suite and vice versa. Then there are others that will only stay at a Hilton. In the end each of these customers winds up doing their business with Hilton.

That's how YRC had 24% of the LTL market. Some people will only ship with Holland and others would never ship with Roadway. If you melded them all together it would be impossible to maintain the market share that you had and as such your revenue and profits would fall, not to mention the costs of integrating along with operational losses due to wrinkles that needed to get ironed out. It didn't happen, because they never wanted it to. Combining Yellow and Roadway came after they were posting half billion dollar quarterly losses. It was done out of necessity.

As for the competition between all of the companies, that was going on before YRC bought them and nothing was going to change. Don't forget, they were also competing against Overnite, Con-way and Fed Ex as well. What would make you think that owing 24% of the market would exempt them from having to competitively price their product?

Yellow, Roadway and Holland were all three great brands and were very successful in the LTL business. Keep in mind they built those companies with hard working union labor. If you want to blame the union labor for "stealing time" and bringing the company down, you also have to credit them for building it into what it was or is. The massive amounts of debt are the problem here. The hard working men are now making substandard wages and the company is STILL posting quarter-billion dollar quarterly losses. We need to quit blaming the hard working union workers here. They are the reason that Yellow, Roadway, and Holland became so large in the first place. In fact just a few years ago, with all wages in place all of those companies were profitable. And that was with the clock stealing that you guys are talking about. Nothing has changed besides the debt load and economy. This one's all on management. I challenge anyone to tell me differently.

To the original poster: About that driver who didn't feel comfortable with backing into your dock, drive a truck yourself once and have your livelihood depend on it and then come tell us about what you're comfortable doing and not doing. His efforts to keep you from driving his truck were done to keep you from wrecking and getting him in trouble. It wasn't because he was afraid that you'd make him look bad. Trust me on that one.

Notice I didn't rail on you for not working for YRC. It was because you have no idea on what the hell you're talking about.

One more thing. FedEx did not merge Watkins and American into their operation. They rebranded them and are run as separate companies: FedEx National LTL, FedEx Freight, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Custom Critical. We also have UPS and UPS Freight, however UPS did merge Overnite with Motor Cargo, but that was a slightly different situation.