10/2/08 - Is Oak Harbor still on strike?

The best way to not be involved in this strike is to use another carrier. If a customer continues to use OHFL, they will eventually have ambulatory picket lines outside of their place of business. Those of us who have been OHFL employees for years and years simply want to get back to the table and get a contract. Since the company has said "they have better things to do with their time", they are signalling an unwillingness to negotiate, therefore we have no choice but to take the fight to the streets.

If you are a customer of OHFL, you are far better of switching to another carrier, because the Oak Harbor you once knew no longer exists...

It seems very likely that to "not be involved," these shippers will prefer to ship with non union carriers. I know that Con-Way and R&L are salivating right now. Any business that we have lost in California has been lost to Con-Way. I guess that's what you want.

I am so livid right now, not sure where to vent this thread looked appropriate. I went to shop at one of OHFL customers today, before shopping I asked if they were still using them. She said they had not since they were on strike but will be as of Monday because the strike was over as of yesterday! WHAT!? I informed her that no indeed they were not I was just on the picket line last night. She said, that is what the company told their corporate office. How can the company get away with these lies? I am appalled by the company. Everybody thinks that the Teamsters are underhanded well nothing in comparison to this outfit.

I am so livid right now, not sure where to vent this thread looked appropriate. I went to shop at one of OHFL customers today, before shopping I asked if they were still using them. She said they had not since they were on strike but will be as of Monday because the strike was over as of yesterday! WHAT!? I informed her that no indeed they were not I was just on the picket line last night. She said, that is what the company told their corporate office. How can the company get away with these lies? I am appalled by the company. Everybody thinks that the Teamsters are underhanded well nothing in comparison to this outfit.
Well, luckily they moved alot of people from nights to days so they can have a ton more people doing ambulatory picketing. This is the second time, that I know of, that OHFL has told their customers that they were not on strike anymore!

Stand Strong Brothers and Sisters!

We have been hand delivering teamster news letters to all known Oak customers to counter these lies. Must be quite interesting when Sales reps drop by with their lies and the customer is aware.So much for reputations and future credibility . Most studies show sales reps as being just above labor attorneys in the credibility dept. anyway .How low can you go?

On Strike, but Permenantely Replaced

I am a buyer for a company that uses shippers and not our own trucks.

Please come back after you get what you want. Stay out there and come back happy, don't settle for Oaks abuse any longer.

We all promise to wait for you saints to march home!!!

Love you guys and stay strong...they will give right in!

Still on Strike, Still Trying to Hire Replacements

I see a suspicious ad on Craigslist Seattle under transport jobs. The number is for a cell phone of a company calling itself Williams Contracting. No address is given or can be found online. It's the same old ad for $1500 weekly with overtime, etc. I called....straight to voicemail. Naturally, I flagged it and encourage others to do the same when they see these ads....fake company,false advertisement.
Leave William(Bill) a message....I'll bet he misses us.

who cares if they were at Safeway. The trailers out for delivery are ess than a quarter full, not like the old days where we went out with 2 full trailers for delivery.

Any updates on the strike situation?
Are the Teamsters making progress?
Is Oak Harbor continuing to hire permanent replacement drivers?

As far as I know there are no permanent replacements due to the Unfair Labor charges .The company can say what it wants in an attempt to hire but it is not a guaranteed position at this time. The company often forgets federal rules and regulations like FMLA, hazmat ,HOURS OF WORK RULES, and load securement rules.

This is true, they often violate laws and then when they get caught, proclaim that isn't how they interpeted the law. There real good at playing stupid, does this surprise anyone?....

This is true, they often violate laws and then when they get caught, proclaim that isn't how they interpeted the law. There real good at playing stupid, does this surprise anyone?....

Not at all! We are held accountable when we break the rules as employees and there are consequences. The departments that govern the laws for businesses need to make the businesses and big corporations more accountable for their actions and more penalties when they are breaking the laws such as the NLRB, Labor and Industries (OSHA), the United States Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division and others such as those.

Thank you all for the updates!:1036316054:

Guys/Gals with mortgages, utility, car payments etc:
If this drags out more than a month are any of you guys worried about getting the bills paid?

I'm sure your strike is not the last strike and many others would like to learn from your experiences so they can prepare themselves if they ever have to strike.

By the way, most banks will help you out with the mortages and car payments for a few months until you get a new job.

all of us new that this stike could be coming when you authorized it last year. I also know that saving money is also difficult. But you have to admit you made enough money to put a few coins in the bank. If you didn't plan ahead I can understand your worry. Why nit visit some temp or labor ready places to get you thru. Please do not cross!!!!!!!

who cares if they were at Safeway. The trailers out for delivery are ess than a quarter full, not like the old days where we went out with 2 full trailers for delivery.

I thought that Safeway asked them to leave and not come back untill the strike was over.

all of us new that this stike could be coming when you authorized it last year. I also know that saving money is also difficult. But you have to admit you made enough money to put a few coins in the bank. If you didn't plan ahead I can understand your worry. Why nit visit some temp or labor ready places to get you thru. Please do not cross!!!!!!!

Shouldn't IBT help out with job search? They took monthly dues and so they tell you to strike but don't help you with mortgages or bills? 174 has almost $6 million in the bank, why ask for people to donate firewood? I'm sure they have some pull with union shops to provide temp work.

Just Asking Were you unaware that we took a strike authorization vote last year and that the majority of the members of the unit set certain criteria that had to be met in any company offer. Did the union not warn you to be prepared at any moment. Did you not understand it was a union barn when you joined which entitled you to certain rights but also certain obligations as a member. Grow up and
cut the propaganda spiel if you do not like union jobs just hire out elsewhere and let real women and men fight this battle.