Estes | 10 Feet Long Lift Gate Deliverys Residential

jangle

TB Lurker
Credits
What do you p&d guys do about those long ass skids that are lift gate delivery’s? Heavy 1000 lb wood swing sets that are 10 feet long.

What do you p&d guys do about those long ass skids that are lift gate delivery’s? Heavy 1000 lb wood swing sets that are 10 feet long.
Slide them off the back very carefully. I had some oversize crates last week that were a little tricky to get off, after getting the first one off I had the customer use my phone and record me getting the second one down. we were told that Estes will be getting more and more of this kind of freight and they are building new trailers with 10' opening on the side with a wider liftgate. The day they told us that at a meeting a 48' liftgate showed up at our terminal with swingdoors on the right side but no liftgate. That should be real good for recruiting new P&D drivers,lol

Thank you for taking them from ABF, tell your salesperson about lifetime shed's that's another beauty of an account....sometimes i would get the skid onto the liftgate as far as you can before it tips off, put a tie down strap around it (a little loose) push it the rest of the way out put your pallet jack on the gate lower & pull it out the other way....

Tell the customer to rent a forklift or come pick it up at the terminal.
Exactly. I will not attempt to do something that is going to endanger myself or others. I am not going to tear up my body so someone can save a few bucks ordering something over the internet. If the company provides the proper equipment then fine. Sometimes you can balance an oversized piece or pallet and use a little redneck engineering to get the delivery done. Do what you're capable of and no more. If they say "well Jim Smith can do it and has done it" you say well fine send Jim Smith out here, cause I'm not doing it. It's a case by case basis.

Exactly. I will not attempt to do something that is going to endanger myself or others. I am not going to tear up my body so someone can save a few bucks ordering something over the internet. If the company provides the proper equipment then fine. Sometimes you can balance an oversized piece or pallet and use a little redneck engineering to get the delivery done. Do what you're capable of and no more. If they say "well Jim Smith can do it and has done it" you say well fine send Jim Smith out here, cause I'm not doing it. It's a case by case basis.
You only have one body , my best friend since childhood is on ssi disabilty rotator cup and hip socket from delivering conference room table tops

Most residential deliveries I did in my local cartage days were coincidentally to homes where customers had “back problems” , a “bad back” or just had “back surgery” and therefore couldn’t assist me in unloading their freight.
There sure are a lot of ex powerlifters out there.....lol

Oh the stories I have about lift gate deliveries. One of them was a guy that expected me to unload a crate of hardwood flooring 20’x4’x4’ with a lift gate. The topper was that it was to a construction site that his installers barely made it into with a 4wd van with chains.

Estes rates on long fright is real cheap compared to others. I was told the difference between us and another carrier one time and it was huge. Cuz we were so busy and couldn’t get the fright and I said I was surprised he didn’t have someone else get it and that’s when he told me.

Thank you for taking them from ABF, tell your salesperson about lifetime shed's that's another beauty of an account....sometimes i would get the skid onto the liftgate as far as you can before it tips off, put a tie down strap around it (a little loose) push it the rest of the way out put your pallet jack on the gate lower & pull it out the other way....
Do u put the strap on the side that’s hanging off? Then what do u hold the strap or strap it to something ?

Slide them off the back very carefully. I had some oversize crates last week that were a little tricky to get off, after getting the first one off I had the customer use my phone and record me getting the second one down. we were told that Estes will be getting more and more of this kind of freight and they are building new trailers with 10' opening on the side with a wider liftgate. The day they told us that at a meeting a 48' liftgate showed up at our terminal with swingdoors on the right side but no liftgate. That should be real good for recruiting new P&D drivers,lol
I don’t get how a lift gate on the sides gonna help. Some of this ***** so heavy cranking one end up with a pallet jack isn’t gonna make a differance when the other 15 feet is dragin on the ground

Do u put the strap on the side that’s hanging off? Then what do u hold the strap or strap it to something ?
The one I had there was a place to hook the straps, usually near the middle of the gate. Tie down with a little play in it & push it forward the rest of the way, put your pallet jack on the other side & tighten the strap all the way down then lower....

YRC doesn’t haul anything over 8 foot long without an additional fee.

DEFINITION - A per shipment charge WILL apply to shipments that contain
one or more articles that measure 8 linear feet or greater, as outlined in
Table 1.

NON APPLICATION - Table 1 charges WILL NOT apply to the following
shipments:

Cubic Capacity and Density Minimum Charge
Capacity Load
Exclusive Use
Sealed Trailer
Sealed Divider
Shipments Rated from RDWY 299 Series (Volume)

Applicable discounts and adjustments will apply, except the additional
charges shown within this item are not eligible for discount. The charge
for pickup or delivery of articles of extreme configuration is payable by
the payer that is responsible for the linehaul charge.

All shipments measuring 8 feet or longer that contain bars, pipe, rods, or
tubing must be crated on all sides to facilitate its safe handling and to
avoid damages. Carrier reserves the right to refuse shipments that are
not properly crated as outlined above. Tendered freight that does not meet
the packaging guidelines above will be subject to the Safety and Special
Handling fee outlined in YRC Tariff 100, item 368.

Any shipment containing one or more articles over 27 linear feet will not
be accepted. In the event such a shipment is inadvertently picked up, the
charge listed in Table 1 will apply.

Articles of extreme configuration are not eligible for Accelerated
Service, Freezable Protective Service, Guaranteed Day PM, or Guaranteed
Multi-Day Window.

Articles of extreme configuration at 12 feet or greater, are excluded from
Time-Critical In-Network services unless Exclusive Use service is utilized
as outlined in Tariff 100 item 470. In the event an Article of Extreme
Configuration at 12 feet or greater is inadvertently picked up under
Time-Critical In-Network service the carrier will convert the shipment
service level to standard ground.

The MIN/MAX values shown below in Table 1 are loaded as the entire
range of the number. For example, a 236-inch article (19.67 feet) will
receive a per shipment charge of $600.00 based on the 16 to 19 linear foot
range.

TABLE 1

BETWEEN ALL POINTS AND ALL POINTS.

Q U A N T I T I E S
TYPE TYPE UNIT OF ACTUAL/
SHIPMENT CHARGE RATE PER MIN MAX MEASURE BILLED NOTES
ALL 120.00 $ SHPT 8 11 LNFT -
ALL 300.00 $ SHPT 12 15 LNFT -
ALL 600.00 $ SHPT 16 19 LNFT -
ALL 1200.00 $ SHPT 20 26 LNFT -
ALL 3000.00 $ SHPT 27 99999 LNFT -

This is on top of the regular freight charges.

Nice to see somebody besides us hauling garbage.

Now I have customers who give all of their long freight to Estes. Thank you
The long freight is ok. It’s the residential lift gate delivery’s that I’m talking about. Swing sets and sheds like the other guy said. The sheds worse becuase it probably isn’t divided into many pieces. At least with theses swing sets there are several 200lb boxes but still a pain in the ass

The long freight is ok. It’s the residential lift gate delivery’s that I’m talking about. Swing sets and sheds like the other guy said. The sheds worse becuase it probably isn’t divided into many pieces. At least with theses swing sets there are several 200lb boxes but still a pain in the ass
Does Estes charge a Home Delivery Fee? Lift Gate Fee?

Does Estes charge a Home Delivery Fee? Lift Gate Fee?
Yes but the problem is we still get paid the same per hour lol I don’t like complaining I just would like to be able to do the job easier cuz a lot of times I’ve done it it’s been either I hand unloaded the boxs or it’s been a miracle I got it off without damage or hurting myself