Estes | 10 Feet Long Lift Gate Deliverys Residential

What do you p&d guys do about those long ass skids that are lift gate delivery’s? Heavy 1000 lb wood swing sets that are 10 feet long.
Those types of shipments are usually initially given to our agent (GM Freight), they usually refuse to deliver them along with any tall sheds like the ones from Lowe's. They say they will not fit onto their trucks. I find that the Lowe's sheds are easy to deliver as opposed to the HD long and flat shed pallets. Getting back to the topic, once back at our terminal, our CSR's will call the customer, tell them that they need to either pick it up @ the terminal, have extra help available at the time of delivery or it will be hand unloaded curbside. For the sheds like Lowe's or other large pain in the butt freight, when the customer wants it in their garage, I just tell them curbside only, it's an extra inside delivery charge the company requires and would have to be approved in advance. I usually will get help with pushing the pallet and a tip when completed.

The long freight is ok. It’s the residential lift gate delivery’s that I’m talking about. Swing sets and sheds like the other guy said. The sheds worse becuase it probably isn’t divided into many pieces. At least with theses swing sets there are several 200lb boxes but still a pain in the ass
Properly worded to the customer about it being curbside and not into their garage or backyard will either get you help from them or a tip or both.

Oh the stories I have about lift gate deliveries. One of them was a guy that expected me to unload a crate of hardwood flooring 20’x4’x4’ with a lift gate. The topper was that it was to a construction site that his installers barely made it into with a 4wd van with chains.
The latest Estonian had pics on how to secure long lift gate freight pallets and the jack to the lift gate, I personally have never tried this though. I try to take it straight out, then swing it to the right so it hangs over the edge to the drivers side keeping the jack and most of the pallet on the lift. Or try to have the customer help support the end sticking off. Lol

The latest Estonian had pics on how to secure long lift gate freight pallets and the jack to the lift gate, I personally have never tried this though. I try to take it straight out, then swing it to the right so it hangs over the edge to the drivers side keeping the jack and most of the pallet on the lift. Or try to have the customer help support the end sticking off. Lol
I was always leery of asking the customer to help like that.I was afraid if the freight fell on them, it would be a big problem for me. I've used the method similar to what you use many times. Invariably, the skid was heavier on one end, and it always seemed to be loaded with the heavy end to the rear making it difficult or impossible to move it with a pallet jack. If there was a forklift available, I would have them drag it onto the lift gate and then lower both at the same time and then pick it up from the side.

It's not just the over length crap, but the residentials in general. The driver knows better than anyone else where you can get into with a 48ft liftgate and where you need a straight truck. But they don't listen and it comes back to bite the driver in the ass, fighting the freight all day long. They google it and say you can park there or you can back up the street. Talked to safety the other day and he told me if I don't feel that it's safe, don't do it. No one can force you and if they try to he said he wants their name.

We got the first of our side mount liftgates today. They’re mounted underneath and slide out, then you have to put down a stabilization leg. I see a lot of bring backs because of not being able to get into docks that have a slope or railroad tracks that are raised, low clearance underneath.

We got the first of our side mount liftgates today. They’re mounted underneath and slide out, then you have to put down a stabilization leg. I see a lot of bring backs because of not being able to get into docks that have a slope or railroad tracks that are raised, low clearance underneath.
Can you post a few pics of it?

Just something else you need to worry about while driving
56m9SQu.jpg

PBGZLJR.jpg

Just something else you need to worry about while driving
56m9SQu.jpg

PBGZLJR.jpg
Thanks for posting pics! Not that I didn't believe you but wow ! Some things just need to be seen to be believed . On the upside, they look like Palfinger lifts. We had those at the company I was at before R&L and they were really nice gates as long as the deployment mechanism is not the chain drive type, those were a nightmare! Those were early style ones and then they went to a hydraulic setup which was MUCH better. Those are on a 48' ?

Thanks for posting pics! Not that I didn't believe you but wow ! Some things just need to be seen to be believed . On the upside, they look like Palfinger lifts. We had those at the company I was at before R&L and they were really nice gates as long as the deployment mechanism is not the chain drive type, those were a nightmare! Those were early style ones and then they went to a hydraulic setup which was MUCH better. Those are on a 48' ?
Yes, 48 footer. They are retrofitting some of the 48 ft.liftgates that are already in service.