Holland | 10 hour rule????

jr webe

TB Lurker
Credits
Is it that ALL Holland city men are being FORCED to work 10 hours or is it only in WB? Does anyone in Philly have the ruling from when you all filed on this last year and won? Robinhood WHY hasn't anyone filed on this in WB yet?:Sign-Cow: :whistle:

JR its always (10 hour rule) been inforced in Me. That is until frt slows down. Down here if you want off on your 8, you better give a hand written note before your shift starts. They then think you owe them a favor by getting you in close to your 8. I've been picking up a few new acct's going up your way. GRIZZ

Its been 10 hours in PN since day one. Unless you are on the closing shift,then its 10 to 12 hours you have no say.

In the past. (when freight was busy) we would be forced to work "10" hours most every day. They supposedly had to tell us at least 1 hour before the end of the regular shift. Now here is where it gets interesting. Say they told me I had required overtime and I got back to the terminal "after" my eight hours but before the ten hours was up they had to give me something to get me back by the end of the tenth hour. Then about a year ago they decided they didn't have to get me back by the end of the tenth hour, just by the 14th hour. So if I get back in at 9 hours and 59 minutes they can give me a 5 hour run. We tried to fight it but didn't get very far. The hall said not to push it, if we don't get the freight then a non-union carrier will. I would be interested in what goes on at other terminals in this regard. Oh and the last two shifts of the day are considered cleanup shifts and are required to stay untill the dock is closed no matter how long. The 1:30 pm dock gets to see the 2am crew once in a while.

P.S.
The rumor is you can request to be off on your 8 if you do it in writing before the start of your shift, you can do this once a month.
I haven't seen this written down anywhere but then a lot of stuff is not written down around here.

Thats true once every 30 days you can put an 8 hour note in,BEFORE the start of your shift. They only have to honor 2 at a time.

I was city in GR for 10 years and the rule was always that you can not force the company to dispatch you into overtime (8+ hrs.), nor can the company force you into a dispatch after you are on overtime (8+ hrs.). We had mandatory 10 hrs. almost all the time for all shift, and the last two shifts of the day were clean-up shifts and could be kept as long as needed to finish the work (We were not a 24 hr. barn). A grievence decision stated that the one hour notice only applied to primary dock shifts. If you were on the street you were notified only upon return to the terminal. The notice to get out on your eight is not contractual and was only honored as a courtesy once every thirty days, but did not have to be granted if workload was too heavy. Hope this helps.