1993 Day Cab

johndeere

TB Lurker
Credits
There is a CF Freightliner 10 series tractor in my area for sale . The owner says it has 277,000 miles on the hubometer and that there is no odometer. This sounds like too low a mileage to me . What do you old CF guys think. Thanks

There is a CF Freightliner 10 series tractor in my area for sale . The owner says it has 277,000 miles on the hubometer and that there is no odometer. This sounds like too low a mileage to me . What do you old CF guys think. Thanks

That sounds like very low miles to me. I can verify that there were no odometers on these trucks. I honestly don't even remember hubomoters on them either. The computer system kept track of the trips each unit made and how many miles were on it. When it was time for a unit to get PM'd, the computer would let the shop know.

I really wonder if the hubomoter was installed after the tractor was sold by CF

When they put the ten series into city pool the installed the hub meters. The 110 series i drove at the end had 1,400,000 miles on it when they installed the hub meter.
I would bet the tractor has over a 1,500,000 on it.

My truck number was 110-1398; it had three and one half million miles on it. I remember there being hub meters on all of the trucks road included. My truck ran like a bear, they told me it was an old triple tractor. Turned up 350 Cat, rode like a horse though, it was repainted with a new interior, headliner, and dash. Could never figure out why drivers would poke holes in the headliners, or bend up the dash.

Tractor number is 10-1988. I will ask the seller if he has had the truck on the computer to check total hours and mileage. We were looking to buy the tractor to pull pup loads of food and supplies to MS. and LA. where the storm damage occcured. This would save us the cost of renting a Penske unit every trip. The reason the truck caught my eye was because of the mileage, but having driven for CF at one time, I could'nt see them having a tractor that ran from 1993 till the shutdown with this low a mileage. I guess we will pass on this one. Thanks for all the advise.

Tractor number is 10-1988. I will ask the seller if he has had the truck on the computer to check total hours and mileage. We were looking to buy the tractor to pull pup loads of food and supplies to MS. and LA. where the storm damage occcured. This would save us the cost of renting a Penske unit every trip. The reason the truck caught my eye was because of the mileage, but having driven for CF at one time, I could'nt see them having a tractor that ran from 1993 till the shutdown with this low a mileage. I guess we will pass on this one. Thanks for all the advise.
CF had great maintance program. My tractor had a milion 5 and still ran strong as ever. I would not let the miles scare me away from it.

When i started at CF in 1978 there were hubos on all road tractors.At some point before 1993 all hubos were removed.The road units averaged 150,000-200,000 miles a year,which put a 1993 well over a million miles.If it had a new engine installed just prior to the close it maybe worth a second look.

Someone else bought the tractor today for $4400. We are now looking at a Overnite day cab Volvo with 750000 verified miles. Asking price is $2500