2 Sysco's

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Today I was making a left hand turn waiting at a traffic light on my way to my last stop of the day and, all of a sudden I see one SYstems and Services COmpany truck turn the corner and then another SYstems and Services COmpany truck turn the corner and follow him. I thought to my self "uh oh, I hope everything is okay and that nobody is running late or behind."

As a person who has, been there (more then one time, once was my fault kind of and the other time the truck broke down and ruined 3.75 hours of my day.) I know what a mess it can, be when you are running late and behind and the company has to send out another truck or van to help. Usually the helpers are not always happy to be helping. I try to do good to where they don't have to send anyone out after me. So far I've been holding my own. Even though Tuesday was a long day, I got it all done my self with no help from nobody.

However when you are new to a job like Sysco or a beer distributor, have no idea where you are going or what any of the products are or what to do when you get to your stop including where to park and all that jazz it can be very frustrating and cost all kinds of time and then customers start calling in asking where there shipment is and customer service calls you asking when your going to be there and my answer is always "Next or I don't know." My favorite and where I work communication is not what we do, my favorite is one day I got a call "When are you going to be at this store?" I said "Well were actually pulling in the parking lot right, now."

What I really want to say is "I don't know, leave me alone, I'm doing the best I can :crybaby:."

Nobody told me go to this store first, I was just running the route the way they had it set up. The guy I was working with said "Hey if they wanted to be first they should have routed them first."

However I'll tell you this, much the second time you run a route is a night and day difference then the first time you run it. You know where to park you know what protocol is you know where everything is.

I mean my god, the first time I was sent to Cleveland Heights, I didn't know where anything was, stuff was right around the corner and I was totally lost and turned around. Now I know exactly how it goes 98% of the time and things go much smoother, still learning, but way better then the first time. Actually sometimes like today I had a 16 bay trailer well that's fairly long for a side loader and there is a CVS pharmacy that has a parking lot designed so trucks can't maneuver around and there one of my last stops, so what I did was I went to them 3rd or 4th something like that I was able to get in maneuver around and get out pretty quick. Plus I was able to get some stops done on the back end instead of hitting everything from the front, that helps too. Every time I've done a few of the last stops first it has helped and has made the day a tad shorter, because now instead of having all this work to do at the end of the day it's all ready done. I try to get my work behind me.

They plan it that way sometimes. They'll have an extra driver occasionally, so they'll send him with a truck and trailer to follow someone around for a few stops, then they'll have him go help someone else for a few stops. He needs the truck and trailer because they might have him take some of the small stops. They might have him pick up a backhaul when he's done. So, you don't always have to be behind to get help, sometimes you just have to have a hard route.

If I'm going into an area I'm unfamiliar with, I'll look at the names of my stops and streets names and such, and just keep scanning as I'm driving to see if I can spot a stop that I have to go to later. They route us like that sometimes, you'll pass up one of your stops two or three times before you actually do it. If you got a dozen stops in a small town, a few are bound to be on the main drag, check the address numbers and such, it helps if you know which way the numbers are going, if you have to go further or back, or if you get lucky and spot a few places while driving around.

Google has probably already been there, and if so they took pictures. A smart phone with google maps/street view is also helpful if your data service will pull it up fast enough.

Go ahead and tell them you are doing the best you can, they can't ask for more. Their only recourse is to say your best isn't good enough, and even I haven't heard them say that.

I have an iphone and I use google maps all the time infact I found out using google maps that one of our customers has a fire truck road around there building and in the summer you can take the truck with a 14 bay trailer around that road and it works just fine.

Today was quite the day, actually I was doing good, but I had 3 stops on a very busy main drag that killed time. Anyhow customer service called me to ask me when I was going to be at Pete's bar which I had passed up several times in the weeks prior. I said "Next, I'm at the gas station on Noble right up the street from this bar the old Amoco and I have like two wheeler loads to haul in left and get paid and then it's on to Pete's." They said "that's fine will tell them 20 minutes."