Holland | 2 Tier Pay Scales

the dude

TB Lurker
Credits
Any other barns have a pre-shift meeting asking who was here in 2014 amd who hasn't been? Regional rep has been in town and basically was saying for those who haven't been here for 5+ years or for the MOU vote back in 2014 the 15% didn't or doesn't affect them or reflect on their paychecks. That the company never took anything from their paychecks. That they hired in knowing the pay scale. My fear is a two tier pay scale for those of us that have been here since 2014 or before and the new hires. All that will do is make a huge division in the ranks.

What about putting new guys at FULL pay after 30 days ,when we had to wait 3 yrs ?? and what about we had to pay $250.00 to join union and now new guys pay $25.00 ?? I want a refund and back pay for them 3 years of waiting to get to full pay !!

What about putting new guys at FULL pay after 30 days ,when we had to wait 3 yrs ?? and what about we had to pay $250.00 to join union and now new guys pay $25.00 ?? I want a refund and back pay for them 3 years of waiting to get to full pay !!

We all should have been at top pay after probation.Most of the labor union trades 50 years ago were like that,, same work ,same pay.

I can remember people justifying the progression ...saying...
why should a 1 year man make what a 20 year man makes.

Even though when the men that justified the progression used to make what the 20 year man did when they got hired.

When it comes down to it our members voted to make it harder for the new hires so they could get more for themselves.Dont think many of our own aren’t selfish, greedy people.

I’m all for making it better for the next generation and I’m tired of negotiations being about screwing the next generation so we can get more for ourselves.

Im not on board with a tiered pay scale! I'd be ok with jr's topping out with full benefits after probation period if the money in this contract is competitive with the non union companies across the seniority boards, along with no changes to our insurance, and no changes to our overtime. I hope the IBT has language saying no discipline from the new camera's being installed in the trucks in this new contract as well. Also no changes to our hours of service!! The pension is something I'm not sure can be worked out. I'd take a buy out and roll the money into a matching 401k, for I have time to build a nice 401, but for the guys towards the end of their careers, I believe yrc should honor their pensions.

I was at a foreign terminal a couple nights ago and a driver was telling that when UPS bought out of the pension they did not pay all of the money at once and they still owe to the pension fund. Is there any truth to that? I have never heard that mentioned anywhere?

I was at a foreign terminal a couple nights ago and a driver was telling that when UPS bought out of the pension they did not pay all of the money at once and they still owe to the pension fund. Is there any truth to that? I have never heard that mentioned anywhere?

It was my understanding,as far as the $6.1 billion to Central States goes, it has been paid in full long ago.
Here is the beef now and why a lot of people think they still owe.
I’m copying something I’ll try and get the link if you are interested.

The Central States Pension Fund used to administer pension benefits to a group of unionized UPS drivers, but the company left the fund in 2008 as a way to save money and provide retirees with better benefits. It set up its own pension fund, but only took current workers with it. Any UPS drivers who had already retired would still be covered solely by the Central States fund.

"We do not have a contractual obligation to cover supplemental benefits for those UPS employees that had retired and were in the Central States fund prior to 2008," a UPS spokesman told CNN Money.

UPS paid $6.1 billion in order to exit the fund. That should have covered the pension costs for UPS workers in the Central States fund that retired beforehand, including Dopp.

Here is the link. The 6.1 billion was paid .
https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/27/retirement/ups-pension-cuts-central-states/index.html

Last edited:

Here is an article explaining why the could owe over 3 billion more to the fund.I think a lot of people are confusing this situation,and thinking UPS didn’t pay everything they owe.

The company, which withdrew from the $17.8 billion pension fund as part of a collective bargaining agreement with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters at the end of 2007, might also be required to pay between $3.2 billion and $3.8 billion in benefit payments if the benefit reduction is approved by the Treasury Department.

A “backstop agreement” in that CBA stated that in the event “at some point in the future if Central States ever lawfully cut benefits to that group, UPS would provide a supplemental retiree benefit,” UPS spokesman Steve Gaut said in a telephone interview.

https://www.pionline.com/article/20...if-central-states-benefit-reductions-approved

I hope the two tier is their offer....don't get me wrong I would want it to get voted down but it would be so much fun to watch all the guys that started after 2014 just come on glued and go nuts when it got announced! It would have great entertainment value!
I have been here at Holland almost 3 years, I will top out in July. A two tier system is a no vote for me. I didn’t come here to get paid less to do the same job. I have no problem in moving elsewhere!

I hope the two tier is their offer....don't get me wrong I would want it to get voted down but it would be so much fun to watch all the guys that started after 2014 just come on glued and go nuts when it got announced! It would have great entertainment value!
Lol

So other than all speculation, and comments, with no actual documentation of any proposal concerning different pay scales, no one knows any of this to be factual?

I have been here at Holland almost 3 years, I will top out in July. A two tier system is a no vote for me. I didn’t come here to get paid less to do the same job. I have no problem in moving elsewhere!
Move on ...if it wasn't for the guys that gave up 15% you wouldn't even have a job. You don't even have a clue what that 15% cut in pay was. It was a hardship that only Teamsters in 2009 felt so consider your self lucky!

I don’t think a two tier is even in the equation.
Don’t really understand where you are getting at because personally I don’t think hardly any senior drivers would vote for screwing the men under them.
That's what you think!