Averitt | 2013 Volvo daycab ride review

The hood style is designed for the old style lights. The headlight enclosures of this style are far cheaper than that of the HID lights. I assume that a major reason is because the daycabs are used in the city and it won't cost as much when a city guy rams the corner of the hood into an unsuspecting stationary object. WIth the HID enclosures the cost would be much higher. AE keeps this hood style in stock and my guess would be that there is some poor sap that spends his profit sharing, accruing into the multi-millions, days rebuilding Volvo daycab hoods up to his chest in fiberglass and red paint. I sure see a lot of them torn up on our yard, even some of the new daycabs.

The hood style is designed for the old style lights. The headlight enclosures of this style are far cheaper than that of the HID lights. I assume that a major reason is because the daycabs are used in the city and it won't cost as much when a city guy rams the corner of the hood into an unsuspecting stationary object. WIth the HID enclosures the cost would be much higher. AE keeps this hood style in stock and my guess would be that there is some poor sap that spends his profit sharing, accruing into the multi-millions, days rebuilding Volvo daycab hoods up to his chest in fiberglass and red paint. I sure see a lot of them torn up on our yard, even some of the new daycabs.

Thanks for the report Lifer, I really like the old style looks...old style looks/new truck, can't beat that combination!!

Exactly. I remember when SAIA retrofitted their hoods to accommodate the round sealed beam headlights. I guess they had an over-abundance of them.

Just to let you guys know, those new style headlights for Volvo's suck after about 3 or 4 years. You cant see 30' in front of it at night. You really have to be paying attention at all times for stuff laying in the road. 90% of the time it's to late. To replace them costs $300 per headlight, so the company's kind of frown on replacing them.

I wish we still had the old style headlights on our Volvo's at Fedex.

Just to let you guys know, those new style headlights for Volvo's suck after about 3 or 4 years. You cant see 30' in front of it at night. You really have to be paying attention at all times for stuff laying in the road. 90% of the time it's to late. To replace them costs $300 per headlight, so the company's kind of frown on replacing them.

I wish we still had the old style headlights on our Volvo's at Fedex.
Not being able to see at night is a MAJOR safety issue. I had the lens enclosures replaced on an oler Volvo because they deteriorated to the point that you could not see. As long as engineers design these lights so as to fade out in several years, we need to make sure that we have clear vision. Nothing worse than old, dull headlights.