ABF | 2014...The Year of Multi Employer Pension Reform?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
It's just not right i tell ya! I started this industry as a teenage fuel jockey,worked at one union company for 8 years until they went out of business then hooked up with ABF for thirty years and I'm still to young to retire!This sucks big time! Where's our bailout? My understanding is its already a done deal, What amazes me is how can a new guy believe theres going to be something left for them when their not giving what was promised us!

New guys can't count on a pension and they can't count on this being a good career either. It's bad and getting worse. The days of it being a decent paying job securing us a place in the middle class are gone and I'd be surprised if they ever returned. Harder work for less money is what it has turned into.

Get to work!! Lol
LOL? I'm betting that you're the only one laughing. Why do you always have to act like a clown? If you have something to say why don't you just come out and say it in a civil manner, nobody here will deny you your opinions but they will argue their point against yours. There is nothing about that comment to discuss other than how childish and ridiculous it is.

Any shot against pensions,.....or healthcare,....or Social Security,....or even the Wall Street machinations against 401(k)s,...is a shot against ALL working people...

Congress amended ERISA to protect the underfunded PBGC. The government is running huge deficits but Congress can always find the money to pay for their own pensions. I think this guy has the right idea

A Florida Republican wants to cut budgets and Congress down to size with controversial new legislation, the “End Pensions in Congress Act.”
“Pensions for members of Congress represent an inappropriate use of taxpayer money, especially when the idea of a pension in the private sector is fast becoming a relic from a bygone era,” Rep. Ron DeSantis said, according to a statement released in January.
There’s been no word if lawmaker jaws hit the floor when the “End Pensions in Congress Act” was first introduced, but it’s at least getting support. Six House Republicans are co-sponsoring the bill, including Rep. Trey Gowdy R-S.C., the Times reported.
Congressmen and senators are eligible for a pension after five years of service at age 62. Those who’ve served 20 years or more have the luxury of drawing pensions at 50, according to the Congressional Research Service.
The Times reported that 617 retired members currently receive federal pensions with average payments between $42,048 and $71,664 a year.
Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky, said any amount of taxpayer-bankrolled pension is too much.
http://rightwingnews.com/economy/new-bill-co-sponsored-trey-growdy-end-pensions-congress-act/

I would
Congress amended ERISA to protect the underfunded PBGC. The government is running huge deficits but Congress can always find the money to pay for their own pensions. I think this guy has the right idea

http://rightwingnews.com/economy/new-bill-co-sponsored-trey-growdy-end-pensions-congress-act/
I would not read to much into this snakes attempt to trick the voters in his district. First off to deny someone a pension makes us no better than those that are trying to take ours.

Many of you seem to forget that almost all the representatives are lawyers and or wealthy business people so a pension is just crumbs to them.

This is nothing more than a political move for someone to shore up support. Does anyone on this site think that either house would vote themselves out of a pension. I can't remember the last time I really saw someone take hundreds of thousands of dollars away from themselves(other than we the Teamsters rank and file).

I do believe they should have to be in office for as long as we do in order to become eligible for a pension and health coverage.

But if anyone on here believes this is a true attempt to cut benefits just write the presenter and ask if he is ever forced to accept a pension will he donate it all to charity. YOUR NOT THINKING HE WILL BROTHER ALWAYS!

Muler, I didn't for one second think that Congress would actually pass such a bill. I don't know him but I doubt the recently retired George Miller will return his pension..............I have re watched the exchange between congressmen Miller and Hasting during the House Rules Committee session. I kind of half accepted his response and got the impression that he was probably well intentioned in co-sponsoring the pension reform bill. He fought the republican majority and is responsible for us being able to vote on any proposed cuts to our pensions. He served 40 years in congress and, like us, deserves his pension. But what makes congressmen any different than us? If the money isn't there then it should be equal sacrifice for everyone including congress.

Reactions: ESP
Muler, I didn't for one second think that Congress would actually pass such a bill. I don't know him but I doubt the recently retired George Miller will return his pension..............I have re watched the exchange between congressmen Miller and Hasting during the House Rules Committee session. I kind of half accepted his response and got the impression that he was probably well intentioned in co-sponsoring the pension reform bill. He fought the republican majority and is responsible for us being able to vote on any proposed cuts to our pensions. He served 40 years in congress and, like us, deserves his pension. But what makes congressmen any different than us? If the money isn't there then it should be equal sacrifice for everyone including congress.
We can all want for the politicians to take cuts as well and we know it will not happen. That is the biggest problem in this country right now. The politicians do not have to live with the results of the bills they passed. If they did then SS would be fully funded and the pension system would be watched and made right. The health care system would not be broken. This is an amazing world we live in today, and the greatest country, but we are on a slippery slope and it does not seem to get any better. Many more things would be fixed, so they would not have to endure the pain, we will have to bare.

We can all want for the politicians to take cuts as well and we know it will not happen. That is the biggest problem in this country right now. The politicians do not have to live with the results of the bills they passed. If they did then SS would be fully funded and the pension system would be watched and made right. The health care system would not be broken. This is an amazing world we live in today, and the greatest country, but we are on a slippery slope and it does not seem to get any better. Many more things would be fixed, so they would not have to endure the pain, we will have to bare.
I couldn't agree with you more. They should be subject to the worst of what we get and so should the assholes we have ruining our union.