FedEx Freight | 2019 Health Insurance

My point was when I started the conversation about the $150/1800 fine was that just a portion of the employees will pay it but all the spouses will be covered
That’s not true, my wife will pay the premiums for insurance through her employer and I’ll stay with ours so she won’t be covered by FedEx...and almost everyone I work with falls in the same boat.

That’s also why they added “employee plus children”...for those employees who’s spouse’s elect to stay with their employer while the FedEx employee can carry the children and not have to pay the full “family” premiums.

Last edited:
That’s not true, my wife will pay the premiums for insurance through her employer and I’ll stay with ours so she won’t be covered by FedEx...and almost everyone I work with falls in the same boat.

That’s also why they added “employee plus children”...for those employees who’s spouse’s elect to stay with their employer while the FedEx employee can carry the children and not have to pay the full “family” premiums.
My location is a bit different at least three drivers spouses do not work one spouse owns a small business and two work at a job with no insurance when we discussed the $1800 a year fine all the above was exempt but will stay on our insurance the 2020 benefit information sheet stated that it was costly to cover a spouse. So out of six spouse and mine I’m the only one on the hook. And you also since you will pay additional premiums through your spouse employer. I know it’s what was offered for 2020 but one would think that every spouse should be subjected to the fine. Since every spouse is costly to cover.

My location is a bit different at least three drivers spouses do not work one spouse owns a small business and two work at a job with no insurance when we discussed the $1800 a year fine all the above was exempt but will stay on our insurance the 2020 benefit information sheet stated that it was costly to cover a spouse. So out of six spouse and mine I’m the only one on the hook. And you also since you will pay additional premiums through your spouse employer. I know it’s what was offered for 2020 but one would think that every spouse should be subjected to the fine. Since every spouse is costly to cover.
If nothing else you should receive a credit for the company not covering your spouse

A couple of tidbits worth knowing. We must pay attention to the wording on some of these.

Working Spouse/Partner Surcharge:

"... If your spouse has medical insurance available through his or her place of employment, but opts to be covered under the FedEx Corporation Group Health Plan, you will pay a surcharge of $150 a month. You will need to verify in the enrollment system when you elect to cover your spouse that he or she does not have coverage through another employer-sponsored health plan. If your spouse is covered by the FedEx Corporation Group Health Plan and you do not make an active election, the $150/month working spouse/partner surcharge will automatically be applied. If the working spouse/partner surcharge is automatically applied and should not be, you can contact the FedEx Benefits Center to make the correction but no refunds will be issued if the surcharge has already been deducted from your paycheck."

No out-of-network coverage:

"If you receive care from an out-of-network provider or at an out-of-network facility, you will be responsible for 100 percent of the balance due. An exception is in cases of emergency, and a maximum reimbursable charge limit may apply."

Surgery Decision Support requirement:

"
Starting in 2020, the Surgery Decision Support (SDS) program through ConsumerMedical must be completed prior to having certain elective surgeries to avoid additional financial responsibility, except in the case of an emergency. The SDS program offers in-depth and personalized information and support to help you and your covered dependents 18 and older make wise decisions about surgery treatment options. While you and your covered dependents 18 and older can still earn an additional $400 credit to your Health Reimbursement Account when you complete the SDS program prior to certain surgeries, there will now be an additional responsibility of up to $1,000 if you do NOT complete the program prior to the following surgeries:

• Low back surgery
    • Hip replacement
    • Knee replacement
    • Weight loss surgery
    • Hysterectomy
The program takes 30 days to complete and requires completion of a survey. For details on this program and others through ConsumerMedical, please review your enrollment guide this fall."

While the free tele-medicine thing sounds decent, how many have actually used it? ANYONE? If everyone starts using that, the price will go back up, don't ya think?

Certainly does NOT offset the other cuts contained in the new plan. The monthly increase alone (family) will cover the previous cost for 3 "free" tele-medicine calls ($75 each).

Oh, and does anyone like the current debit card for accessing the Health reimbursement account (HRA)? Sounded fine, but in practice it's been a P.I.T.A., for me. My experience has been like this: Doctors can't give a price to pay at time of visit, and only take it after you have a previous balance. Lab work etc billed separately. Then when you use it to pay the above bills, you have to send proof of what it was for, after the fact.

While the free tele-medicine thing sounds decent, how many have actually used it? ANYONE? If everyone starts using that, the price will go back up, don't ya think?

Certainly does NOT offset the other cuts contained in the new plan. The monthly increase alone (family) will cover the previous cost for 3 "free" tele-medicine calls ($75 each).

Oh, and does anyone like the current debit card for accessing the Health reimbursement account (HRA)? Sounded fine, but in practice it's been a P.I.T.A., for me. My experience has been like this: Doctors can't give a price to pay at time of visit, and only take it after you have a previous balance. Lab work etc billed separately. Then when you use it to pay the above bills, you have to send proof of what it was for, after the fact.
and they don't tell you that they need reciepts until after they cut your card off

I found the HSA to be a pain in the butt also when going in for a outpatient surgery. Money paid up front between multiple parties then trying to get your money back. The new card is laughable when its still the account paying but have you doing the footwork for them. Seems silly. Like we have the time to play accountant and drive the truck too. I feel if Fedex wants to continue being self insured because there is money to be made, don’t put the burden on the employees to pay the claims through channels that are confusing

Yes, I’ve used the tele-meds a couple times this year and it worked great...sure beats taking a whole day off to go to the doctor.

Luckily, I’ve been blessed with good health (so far) but the few times I’ve had to go to the doc, I’ve always been able to tell them to bill me and I’ve paid AFTER everything has passed through insurance. I hear guys tell stories of having to pay full price up front then try to get reimbursed but it’s never happened to me.

Luckily, I’ve been blessed with good health (so far) but the few times I’ve had to go to the doc, I’ve always been able to tell them to bill me and I’ve paid AFTER everything has passed through insurance. I hear guys tell stories of having to pay full price up front then try to get reimbursed but it’s never happened to me.
Exactly. Wait for the doctor bill to arrive. Wait for EOB (Explanation Of Benefits) to arrive. Match them up. Only pay what the EOB says you’re responsible for.