TForce | 2023 Contract negotiations.

So you think you should get paid the 8 hours overtime and since you already hit the 40 mark on Thursday, you should get paid Overtime for all hours worked on Friday? So 18 hours of overtime if you work 10 hours on Friday? Do you honestly think TFI will even entertain this?

Example 2:

1) You work 9 hours Monday

2) 8 hours tues

3) 8 hours wed

4) 7 hours thurs

We are now at 32 hours total for the week.

5) You work 9 hours Friday.

How much overtime do you get, and why?
Is this a question off the Wonderlic test?

Ok now i will stop.

Example 2:

2) 8 hours tues

3) 8 hours wed

4) 7 hours thurs

You would have 41 total hours worked for the week. Because you have one hour over eight hours on Monday and then again on Friday, you will have two total (2) hours at time-and-one-half and 39 hours of straight time for the week. This is due to you exceeding eight (8) hours on Monday and then again on Friday. You do not get penalized for only working seven (7) hours on Thursday. But, you do not pick up an extra hour of OT for exceeding 40-hours for the week either as you used the OT after 8-hours a day formula instead of the OT after 40 hours per week formula. Think of them as two separate formulas and you only get to use one or the other, but not both. The only time that I can think of that using the OT after 40 formula is better is if you work a sixth day on that work week and have not exceeded eight (8) hours on any of the days. So if you are working a five day work week or less, simply use the OT after eight (8) formula to get the most out of it. Again, it clearly states in your contract that it is overtime after eight hours a day, or forty hours a week. “But not both”.

Last edited:
So, in this situation, breakdown how much OT you get.

2 hours OT per day up to thursday. We are now up to 40 total for the week. ALL hours of friday should be OT since we're now past 40 hours. 18 hours total OT: 2 hours a day M-TH, then ALL hours Friday. This is how i think it should be if we're talking contract negotiations.

What it REALLY is, is what i'm trying to make clear.
You are trying to use both OT formulas in the example above when your contract clearly states, “but not both”. So let me reverse this on you. If you worked ten (10) hours a day Monday thru Thursday, then did not work on Friday (non-compensated), would you get 32-hours of straight time and 8-hours of overtime? Or, would you simply be paid forty (40) hours of straight time and no overtime because you only worked forty hours for the week?

Example 2:

2) 8 hours tues

3) 8 hours wed

4) 7 hours thurs

You've worked here how long, yet you still don't know how you get paid? You seem to have an answer for everything, but after how many years working here, you are worried about how you get paid???

You also left out half a paragraph from your quote about the overtime...

"All hours worked in excess of eight (8) hours in any one (1) day or
forty (40) hours in any one (1) week shall be paid at the rate of time
and one-half (1 ½) the regular hourly rate, but not both. Overtime
shall not be pyramided. Pay for hours not worked shall not count
toward the forty (40) hour threshold."

Now, get your pencil out and follow along....

1) You work 9 hours Monday 8 hours regular, 1 OT

2) 8 hours tues 16 hours regular, 1 OT

3) 8 hours wed 24 hours regular, 1 OT

4) 7 hours thurs 31 hours regular, 1 OT

5) You work 9 hours Friday. 40 hours regular, 2 OT

When it says you cannot pyramid your hours, those hours already paid as OT because of over 8 in a day, do not add into your 40 for the week. Once you hit 40 non OT hours, then the rest is OT.

Let's say you put in 12 hours on Friday instead. Your OT is no longer calculated as being over 8 in a day, but as over 40 non OT hours in the week. So you would get 40 hours regular, and 4 OT.

It's really that simple....

Another example, just because....

1) Monday - 10 Hours - 8 regular, 2 OT

2) Tuesday - 10 Hours - 16 regular, 4 OT

3) Wednesday - 10 Hours - 24 regular, 6 OT

4) Thursday - 10 Hours - 32 regular, 8 OT

But wait! That's 40 hours.... So Friday is all OT? NO.... Because you can't pyramid.

5) Friday - 10 Hours - 40 regular, 10 OT

Now you've hit 40 regular hours. If you decide to work Saturday, all your time is now overtime. You've banked your 40. And since it's all overtime now, going over 8 doesn't matter. You can't pyramid those hours. If you work 10 more hours on Saturday, then you'll wind up with 40 regular, and 20 OT.

You've worked here how long, yet you still don't know how you get paid? You seem to have an answer for everything, but after how many years working here, you are worried about how you get paid???

You also left out half a paragraph from your quote about the overtime...

"All hours worked in excess of eight (8) hours in any one (1) day or
forty (40) hours in any one (1) week shall be paid at the rate of time
and one-half (1 ½) the regular hourly rate, but not both. Overtime
shall not be pyramided. Pay for hours not worked shall not count
toward the forty (40) hour threshold."

Now, get your pencil out and follow along....

1) You work 9 hours Monday 8 hours regular, 1 OT

2) 8 hours tues 16 hours regular, 1 OT

3) 8 hours wed 24 hours regular, 1 OT

4) 7 hours thurs 31 hours regular, 1 OT

5) You work 9 hours Friday. 40 hours regular, 2 OT

When it says you cannot pyramid your hours, those hours already paid as OT because of over 8 in a day, do not add into your 40 for the week. Once you hit 40 non OT hours, then the rest is OT.

Let's say you put in 12 hours on Friday instead. Your OT is no longer calculated as being over 8 in a day, but as over 40 non OT hours in the week. So you would get 40 hours regular, and 4 OT.

It's really that simple....
Ok Meat, not to be argumentative, but the formula above would only be 41-hours total with two of those hours paid at time-and-one-half for Monday and Friday (39 hours regular, 2 OT). Unless there is something I am missing. We are on the same page just with different total hours for the week.

Ok Meat, not to be argumentative, but the formula above would only be 41-hours total with two of those hours paid at time-and-one-half for Monday and Friday (39 hours regular, 2 OT). Unless there is something I am missing. We are on the same page just with different total hours for the week.
You are 100% correct. I was in such a hurry to be a jacka$$ to someone who knows it all, I didn't use the pencil myself. The total would be 39 regular hours and 2 OT in response to his inquiry.

Thank you for helping me be humble.

This is why all we got was crappy, company friendly contracts negotiated by the teamsters for 15 years. You overnight guys never voted the teamsters in on your own denying them the organizing victory they craved with the country watching and leaving them with egg on their face. That was a colossal public organizing failure that they never will forget. You overnight guys don’t understand that they will never do anything big for us other than collect our dues. Unreasonable wage progression,Low raises splits, union men not paid holidays (labor day!) on and on fill in your own blank. They never kept us informed during contract negotiations only to drop on us a crappy take it or leave it and walk away leaving 12,500 teamsters each trying to figure out what to do! They never negotiated with the hammer of 12,500 United behind them for a fair contract or recommend a no vote to go back to the table while holding firm with UPS. I expect much of the same with Tforce as long as Bedard doesn’t change what goes in teamsters coffers. Now this is just IMHO what I just said, but for a fact I’ve been in two other national unions before I started here first year of UPS Freight and never had I seen the ghastly lack of stewardship with no involvement with members on status of negotiations. We got good contracts always working in unison with the members and going back to the table, no Just here vote. I only left for health reasons but I know good contract leadership when I see it. Been looking 15 years here for it. What good is it to ask members to write down what they would like in a new contract then not get much more then beer money raises? We are going to have to cowboy up this time I reckon to get a good contract if the teamsters negotiate like in the past contracts so I have been saving. They can empty the system again or even close the doors their choice. No backwards or lame contract will I vote for this time…..only a fair market one keeping our total compensation package among the best over the period of the contract.
you ain't getting a big pay raise next contract and keeping your golden healthcare benefit package. My guess is they'll be willing to match higher pay of OD if you guys concede on the benefit package. Bedard is going after you helping him with his healthcare costs like your non union peeps do at TForce.

you ain't getting a big pay raise next contract and keeping your golden healthcare benefit package. My guess is they'll be willing to match higher pay of OD if you guys concede on the benefit package. Bedard is going after you helping him with his healthcare costs like your non union peeps do at TForce.
I don't see it that way. TForce has fallen behind in wages, inflation is out of control, the Union has new leadership, if they want to play, I'm afraid they are going to have to pay. If there is a takeaway it will have to be met with an equal or better increase in compensation, IMHO very few would settle for a net decrease in overall wages and benefits.
The fact that management personnel took a beating was they are easily replaced, no basic skillset, no professional licenses or responsibilities of a driver or pro. dock-worker. Like it or not that is true. A qualified driver is a valuable commodity now more than ever and if you want to be the best, you need to compensate the best. A Senior VP once said to a regional Manager and an SCM at a grievance meeting, "I can have 25 people here tomorrow for your jobs, I can't find a driver", said it all.
It can be the best run in the industry, if not just add it to the pile of has been Companies.

I don't see it that way. TForce has fallen behind in wages, inflation is out of control, the Union has new leadership, if they want to play, I'm afraid they are going to have to pay. If there is a takeaway it will have to be met with an equal or better increase in compensation, IMHO very few would settle for a net decrease in overall wages and benefits.
The fact that management personnel took a beating was they are easily replaced, no basic skillset, no professional licenses or responsibilities of a driver or pro. dock-worker. Like it or not that is true. A qualified driver is a valuable commodity now more than ever and if you want to be the best, you need to compensate the best. A Senior VP once said to a regional Manager and an SCM at a grievance meeting, "I can have 25 people here tomorrow for your jobs, I can't find a driver", said it all.
It can be the best run in the industry, if not just add it to the pile of has been Companies.
Every time the government adds a new regulation, a CDL drivers value increases.