ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

How does this language sound? I figured Article 3 was the correct place for this new section number as Article 3 was where the Utility Employee (section 7.) was first introduced. You guys feel free to jump in with any recommendations or changes as that is the intent of this thread to get everyone on the same page. You guys at Yellow and T-Force feel free to chime in as well as you all will be having contract proposals in the near future as well.

Autonomous-Technology.md.png
Shouldn’t there be some language stating, all tractors operating between, 034, and 039, utilizing I-294, shall be equipped with a spare set of mirrors?

Steward,

If it is slow and they cut guys, is there anything in there about asking top down if guys want a courtesy day? Like instead of just leaving bottom guy at home maybe senior guy wants off? Does that make sense? In years past I used to see my brother left home during slow periods and I cant help but think there would have been an upper guy that wouldn’t have minded taking off without burning a day.

Steward,

If it is slow and they cut guys, is there anything in there about asking top down if guys want a courtesy day? Like instead of just leaving bottom guy at home maybe senior guy wants off? Does that make sense? In years past I used to see my brother left home during slow periods and I cant help but think there would have been an upper guy that wouldn’t have minded taking off without burning a day.
I am not sure about other locations, but here at the Rock, we have what we call “company convenience” or ”CC”. When freight is slow, the Employer puts a list out for us to sign if we would like to leave early. If the Employer decides to let five (5) people leave, the first five (5) people that signed the sheet get to leave with no disciplinary action. That being said, it has been so busy the last two to three years that I don’t recall seeing a “CC” sheet put out to sign up.

Steward,

Back in the day senior men used to do this a lot to let junior guys work when it was slow. Company didn't get involved, it was voluntary on the part of senior guys and company didn't object at all.

PS - That was at a time when we all took our hour for lunch, our morning and afternoon breaks, and didn't race through the day without stopping just to get home earlier. Just saying.

Steward,

I work at an EOL and under a different supplement than SOR (first difference I can think of is there is no "cousin clause")....when we have a slow day they do start at the top for CC days....no one is made to take the day off as the company guarantees 8 hours a day for any man that is on a bid.....they might pressure the bottom guy a bit, but they can't "make" him unless they are willing to pay him to sit home.....

I work at an EOL and under a different supplement than SOR (first difference I can think of is there is no "cousin clause")....when we have a slow day they do start at the top for CC days....no one is made to take the day off as the company guarantees 8 hours a day for any man that is on a bid.....they might pressure the bottom guy a bit, but they can't "make" him unless they are willing to pay him to sit home.....
Maybe I should submit a proposal for the “cousin clause” so everyone can enjoy it’s benefits. (Can you hear the banjo’s in the background)?

This is what I came up with for proposals/changes on Family and Medical Leave Act in Article 38.

FMLA-Requirement.md.png

FMLAVacation-Substitution.md.png
FMLA Is a great tool, unfortunately it gets abused and ruins it for all.FMLA ends if the person you are caring for passes, unfortunately that is the time when you may need it the most, if for the grieving process or the needed time off to deal with closing an estate for a family member.

FMLA Is a great tool, unfortunately it gets abused and ruins it for all.FMLA ends if the person you are caring for passes, unfortunately that is the time when you may need it the most, if for the grieving process or the needed time off to deal with closing an estate for a family member.
That is one of the reasons for the proposal to remove the sentence/language that reads “The Employer may require the employee to substitute accrued paid vacation or other paid leave for part of the twelve (12) week leave period”. This would allow the employee time for the grieving process using paid accrued vacation time. In the current contract, the Employer can take (substitute) all of your accrued vacation time except for the last week of accrued vacation with the exception of any ”pre-scheduled” vacation time. And, you are correct that FMLA gets abused a lot. But with language like we currently have in the contract about taking most of your vacation time away (substitute), is it any wonder that it does get abused?

Back in the day senior men used to do this a lot to let junior guys work when it was slow. Company didn't get involved, it was voluntary on the part of senior guys and company didn't object at all.

PS - That was at a time when we all took our hour for lunch, our morning and afternoon breaks, and didn't race through the day without stopping just to get home earlier. Just saying.
Triplex, you are exactly right. Back in the prehistoric days of trucking in which we worked co- workers actually cared about others and their families and made sure everyone on the seniority list worked enough days to cover their medical for their families every month. Some times of the year when it got real slow it could get difficult but some how we managed to keep everybody working as much as possible. I know you are one of the "old" dinosaurs who survived the prehistoric days of trucking and still is banging those gears, whops I mean shifting your tractor into drive, I forgot new times new equipment. You know there is a big difference between employees now and back then. Now a days everybody just cares about themselves. They don't realize the power they would have if they just stuck together on at least most of the issues in trucking today. What do I know been retired for 12 years now but I must say I still miss my co-workers, customers and yes even my 46 mile per hour tractor.:tr10driving03:Oh and sometimes a few extra breaks if you know what I mean. :lmao:

Triplex, you are exactly right. Back in the prehistoric days of trucking in which we worked co- workers actually cared about others and their families and made sure everyone on the seniority list worked enough days to cover their medical for their families every month. Some times of the year when it got real slow it could get difficult but some how we managed to keep everybody working as much as possible. I know you are one of the "old" dinosaurs who survived the prehistoric days of trucking and still is banging those gears, whops I mean shifting your tractor into drive, I forgot new times new equipment. You know there is a big difference between employees now and back then. Now a days everybody just cares about themselves. They don't realize the power they would have if they just stuck together on at least most of the issues in trucking today. What do I know been retired for 12 years now but I must say I still miss my co-workers, customers and yes even my 46 mile per hour tractor.:tr10driving03:Oh and sometimes a few extra breaks if you know what I mean. :lmao:

627E9E00-39D0-4A35-AF78-4EC166DFE766.md.jpg

Here you go, you old retired bastard.

All sick, comp or vacation should be rolled in to 1 category. A paid off day regardless of the reason, doesn't matter if you are sick. Or taking a vacation day. A paid day off is exactly that. Regardless of what you call it. Vacation bids will still be in effect. You can combine sick, holiday, vacation, or any other paid off all rolled in to 1 if you want. Doctors excuses required starting on the 4th unexcused day off. von.

If you work over 10 hours it is double time.
That would be a good proposal. But, it would have to be submitted in the Supplements as Article 5 nor Article 33 make no reference to the rate at which overtime is paid. I suppose we could propose new language to Article 5, Section 6 and Article 33, Section 1, addressing this to get it in the Master side though.