ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

All these raises are going to put a damper on Judy's Dexatrim-Fueled Non-Union-Company Shopping Spree® brought to you by Con-Way.

I would just urge you to think before you act.

Add something like this from UPS's contract?

"Note: (Reasonable Cause) At the time the urine specimen is collected, the employee may opt to also give a blood sample. If the employee takes this option, the blood sample must confirm positive presence for the substance confirmed in the urine test. If no positive is confirmed in the blood specimen, the employee will be given a warning letter, offered an opportunity for rehabilitation as set forth in this Article, and the employee will be required to otherwise satisfy the requirements imposed by the DOT regulations. However, if there is a second occasion where reasonable cause testing results in a positive urine test, the employee will then be subject to discharge."

"Section 3.10 Random Testing Random Employee Selection: The procedure used to randomly select employees for drug testing, in compliance with the U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations, will be a computer program specifically intended for such an application. The program will utilize an internal computer clock procedure to randomly generate lists of employees mandated for testing by the Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration. The computer shall randomly select the required number of employees from the total pool of affected employees. The Total pool list shall be by each region. For verification purposes and to cover absences the computer shall print the following lists for each testing period: 1. An alphabetical total pool list of employees in the region and 2. A district list of employees shall be printed from the random list in the order in which they are computer selected. An absent employee whose name appears on the primary list on the random test day must be tested upon return to work immediately upon notification provided he/she returns prior to the next selection period. The lists or true copies of the lists shall be maintained by a third party administrator. Upon request to the District Labor Relations Manager, the lists will be made available for review by Local Union representatives and company labor relations managers to verify the proper application and use of the lists in the random testing system. The parties agree that no effort will be made to cause the system and method of selection to be anything but a true random selection procedure insuring that all affected employees are treated fairly and equally. The parties further agree not to amend or change the current method of random selection as described herein without prior agreement between the parties."

We can't get no lists or true copies of the lists from a third party administrator at ABF or Yellow? I know at Yellow managers are calling people their own picks not random for drug tests while in the middle of their vacations and while on medical leave.

Definitely need around 4 dollars a hour at ratification, then raises every year after.
Around 042 most of the non union companies are over 30,the non yellow union companies are over 30.
Theyve been bragging to us about record profits, time to start giving it to the guys that are making the company that money.

"Section 3.10 Random Testing Random Employee Selection: The procedure used to randomly select employees for drug testing, in compliance with the U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations, will be a computer program specifically intended for such an application. The program will utilize an internal computer clock procedure to randomly generate lists of employees mandated for testing by the Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration. The computer shall randomly select the required number of employees from the total pool of affected employees. The Total pool list shall be by each region. For verification purposes and to cover absences the computer shall print the following lists for each testing period: 1. An alphabetical total pool list of employees in the region and 2. A district list of employees shall be printed from the random list in the order in which they are computer selected. An absent employee whose name appears on the primary list on the random test day must be tested upon return to work immediately upon notification provided he/she returns prior to the next selection period. The lists or true copies of the lists shall be maintained by a third party administrator. Upon request to the District Labor Relations Manager, the lists will be made available for review by Local Union representatives and company labor relations managers to verify the proper application and use of the lists in the random testing system. The parties agree that no effort will be made to cause the system and method of selection to be anything but a true random selection procedure insuring that all affected employees are treated fairly and equally. The parties further agree not to amend or change the current method of random selection as described herein without prior agreement between the parties."

We can't get no lists or true copies of the lists from a third party administrator at ABF or Yellow? I know at Yellow managers are calling people their own picks not random for drug tests while in the middle of their vacations and while on medical leave.
I volunteer every week for a random drug test. You have three hours to give an adequate sample. How else can I catch up with Instagram posts?

Sounds like Standard Forwarding employees did the best thing. $4.00 an hour and $.10 a mile raise over 3 years is a good start.

This is what I have come up with for Article 29 language on Purchased Transport and the Red Circle number for the Roadside.

Purchased-Transport.md.png

Red-Circle-1-for-19fa4625c47cd2ea0.md.png
There should never be a dues paying member not protected by the red circle. As for the PT the run should have to be available to all members for atleast 2 boards and the next board should be exhausted. And PT should be allowed to sleep on a union yard

There should never be a dues paying member not protected by the red circle. As for the PT the run should have to be available to all members for atleast 2 boards and the next board should be exhausted. And PT should be allowed to sleep on a union yard
I could not agree more. But, like everything else, it will be hard to get language completely removed that favors the Employer. IMO, it is easier to get a reduction in unfavorable language that affects the employees in a negative way. Kind of like the rail miles allowed by the contracts over the years. While it has been reduced over time and contract negotiations, it is still allowed by contract. If you would rather that I submit a proposal for all drivers being protected by “red-circle”, I can do that. Chances of getting that done in a single contract is slim to none. Asking for more favorable language that benefits the employee stands a much better chance. Again, just my opinion.

I could not agree more. But, like everything else, it will be hard to get language completely removed that favors the Employer. IMO, it is easier to get a reduction in unfavorable language that affects the employees in a negative way. Kind of like the rail miles allowed by the contracts over the years. While it has been reduced over time and contract negotiations, it is still allowed by contract. If you would rather that I submit a proposal for all drivers being protected by “red-circle”, I can do that. Chances of getting that done in a single contract is slim to none. Asking for more favorable language that benefits the employee stands a much better chance. Again, just my opinion.
I'd be willing to strike over the red circle and PT issues. When Sean O'Brian was in Nashville he said it was a striking issue to him.

Rugrunner, I think you mentioned (last year) something about the road drivers being compensated for eight (8) straight time hours on holidays worked as opposed to the four (4) straight time hours you currently receive for holiday work. I have a proposal for the supplement that I work under, but I thought it would be good to try to get language in the Master to cover everyone. How does this sound.

Road-Holiday-Article-33.md.png

Just putting this out there and its really none of my buisness anymore since im not in the teamsters anymore but from my time as a steward I would implore you all to push... push REALLY HARD for the "work under protest" language to be put back in. They used the fact that they could set guys out for weeks or months waiting on hearings as an intimidation tactic. Its downright criminal. It was taken out two contracts ago I think and I cant figure out why more people aren't screaming about it.

Just putting this out there and its really none of my buisness anymore since im not in the teamsters anymore but from my time as a steward I would implore you all to push... push REALLY HARD for the "work under protest" language to be put back in. They used the fact that they could set guys out for weeks or months waiting on hearings as an intimidation tactic. Its downright criminal. It was taken out two contracts ago I think and I cant figure out why more people aren't screaming about it.
Is this the language you are talking about? It was in the 1994-1998 Southern Region Supplement but was removed in either the 1998-2003 or the 2003-2008 contract because the employer could basically suspend or fire anyone and keep them working and use it as intimidation to make you and others work harder. Once the decision was rendered, if it was in the employees favor, the employer was under no obligation to back pay you because no time or pay was ever missed. By removing that one paragraph, the employer could not just suspend or fire you with no recourse because if you were suspended or fired and the grievance decision was ruled in your favor, you most likely would get full back pay for the time missed. I assure you that by removing that paragraph, the employer takes a good hard look at the cost if they cannot make the discharge or suspension stick. The employer hates losing a grievance, but they really, really hate having to back pay the employee. So I for one hope we never get that language back in the contract as the employer has abused it in the past and will do so again if given the opportunity to do so. But that is just my opinion.

11A8F48A-A66F-44F9-9850-64C5D15633B5.md.jpg

Is this the language you are talking about? It was in the 1994-1998 Southern Region Supplement but was removed in either the 1998-2003 or the 2003-2008 contract because the employer could basically suspend or fire anyone and keep them working and use it as intimidation to make you and others work harder. Once the decision was rendered, if it was in the employees favor, the employer was under no obligation to back pay you because no time or pay was ever missed. By removing that one paragraph, the employer could not just suspend or fire you with no recourse because if you were suspended or fired and the grievance decision was ruled in your favor, you most likely would get full back pay for the time missed. I assure you that by removing that paragraph, the employer takes a good hard look at the cost if they cannot make the discharge or suspension stick. The employer hates losing a grievance, but they really, really hate having to back pay the employee. So I for one hope we never get that language back in the contract as the employer has abused it in the past and will do so again if given the opportunity to do so. But that is just my opinion.

11A8F48A-A66F-44F9-9850-64C5D15633B5.md.jpg
Yeah, that's it. Guess it can be abused either way. But I can assure you the people I dealt with did not care about losing grievances or paying money. They had absolutely no shame.

How about adding language on forced overtime...something like you must be informed by your sixth hour about forced overtime...... I know I saw it in a supplement..... not in mine though....at my barn they like to inform you about the time you are ready to punch out...it is infuriating....