ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

How about adding language on forced overtime...something like you must be informed by your sixth hour about forced overtime...... I know I saw it in a supplement..... not in mine though....at my barn they like to inform you about the time you are ready to punch out...it is infuriating....
We use it at our barn but of course you have your guy's that need 12-14 a day that are pushing 60 years old with little seniority. Morning bids being pushed back because they won't leave on their 10th hour....

How about adding language on forced overtime...something like you must be informed by your sixth hour about forced overtime...... I know I saw it in a supplement..... not in mine though....at my barn they like to inform you about the time you are ready to punch out...it is infuriating....
This is the language in Article 55 of the Southern Region Supplement. Maybe we should propose adding it to Article 5 of the Master Agreement so it applies everywhere. Also, check out the last paragraph of this page.

6E652C4A-3796-4F85-88CD-E04E606D4598.md.jpg

My favorite on linehaul was to get to my home terminal after seven hours, and then be informed I was driving another 200 miles to another place to go to bed.

So not only do I not get to see my family, I get a really long day out of the deal as well? Amazing.

It's sad that so many workers are anti-union. The only way we in the industry will get wages and benefits raised is if we all collectively fight for them. Think about it. Workers from company "A" fight for better pay. Company "A" is reluctant to pay more because it would put them at a cost disadvantage compared to the other companies in the industry. Same thing if workers at company "B" ask for more. However, if workers from most all companies in the industry together fight for better wages the higher wages would apply across all companies evenly and the resistance would be lessened. This is why back in the day when most all companies were unionized the National Master Freight Agreement was so successful. The higher worker pay didn't put any one company at a cost disadvantage compared to the others since the higher pay was implemented across the board. No doubt the Teamster's Union has had it's flaws and I say that as a long time member. However, unless we band together and fight for better pay across the board we'll always be behind the eight ball compared to where we were decades ago.
What a lot of non union guys don't get is that were it not for the teamsters they would not be making what they are now. Hate him or love him J Hoffa Sr. Set the standard that truck drivers would be paid a middle class wage. The Kennedys realized that he had the power to shut down this country and that is when the shenanigans began. Culminating in deregulation in 1980. I just finished 22 years with FXF. But have 13 years as a teamster prior to that. The pay scale in the 90's and the 00's was all based on what the teamsters were making. Everyone driving today making that 120 or 140 k owes a debt of gratitude to those old teamsters for standing up to the powers that be. Any company would be happy to pay us next to nothing and as we all know that is happening in this country today.

How does this sound for a Master proposal on the forced overtime issue.

Forced-OT-Article-5.md.png

My favorite on linehaul was to get to my home terminal after seven hours, and then be informed I was driving another 200 miles to another place to go to bed.

So not only do I not get to see my family, I get a really long day out of the deal as well? Amazing.
Damn, you guys don't have a contract anymore!

This proposal pertains to the Southern Region Supplements for the city/dock, road, shop and clerical supplements. Currently, the language in the Health & Welfare section states that an on-the-job or off-the-job illness or injury requiring time off will not have health coverage until “the first week after contributions for active employment ceases”.
This language allows a one (1) week period of no health care coverage unless the employee pays for “COBRA” at a cost of nearly $450.00 for that week. Here is the current language in the Southern Region Supplement.

FD403C96-333E-42AD-8404-0E7FE3007BFC.md.jpg

So, this is the proposal that I have come up with to hopefully close this loop-hole that allows the Employer to weasel out of making weekly contributions needed to keep health coverage going for anyone that must take time off due to an on or off the job illness or injury. Any input for changes are welcome, and if any of the other Supplements have similar language, let’s all get together to hopefully put an end to this loop-hole in the next contract. I will also be preparing a separate but similar proposal to cover the “on-the-job” language as well.

CityDock-HW.md.png

I forgot to post the current progression rates. So here it is straight out of the Southern Region Clerical Supplement. 70% to start and four years to full rate is ridiculous.

C11D54DC-3799-4D48-A90E-30AB01BFB93B.md.jpg
I know I asked this before, but it gets your heart rate up and that's good for your health.
If the work gets done at the 70% rate, why is the senior driver worth 30% more to do the same job?

I know I asked this before, but it gets your heart rate up and that's good for your health.
If the work gets done at the 70% rate, why is the senior driver worth 30% more to do the same job?
If you asked this before, then why are you asking again wasting everyone's time? In my book that is trolling...there are rules against that....just sayin...