ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

What's interesting about this back and forth is RB talks about favoring management, while making statements that even a 2nd grader would know....such as a company must be profitable...we all know this RB...you talk about work rules and I will tell you they have changed since you last worked....as far as the hero comment, I would say respected friend as I believe SOR isn't a big sissy who waits until "his retirement papers are in" to correct someone in a safety meeting...
Apparently, Blade has no friends and only respects management. So, I doubt he will understand what you are saying. And the respected friend comment is mutual brother!!!

Companies lose or make money because of resource management. Your hero SOR refuses to admit that. He doesn't believe that ABF has prospered while other companies failed because of excellent management.
Trucking has no product. They own nothing on the truck. The only controllable cost is labor. So, unfortunately, when management fails to properly manage resources, the only significant savings must come from labor. That requires a labor force that is cooperative and willing to compromise to save jobs. The easiest place to find cost savings is in work rules not wages. The companies that do more with less are the most profitable.
The service provided by the trucking company is the product, good or bad. Once they put freight on the truck they do own it, if lost or damaged they pay for it. And maybe when management fails they are walked out the door for improper performance.

That whole long dissertation is nonsense. A casual can do the same job as the seniority employee for less money, therefore the job is worth the casual rate. I didn't say it, your union did. The contract says doing the job should pay the casual rate. Therefore, that is what the job is worth!
Idiots like saying idiotic things. Here’s your sign!!!!

For a while at 003 we were getting double after 8. Now the local agreement is double on 6/7th punch.
Here at the Rock, we were getting double time for 6th/7th day. They just recently reverted back to 7th day only on the double time as we have been steadily hiring full time City/Dock. We have four more scheduled for the driving school in June.

How do you guys feel about a retention bonus? I'm wondering because I see sign on bonuses being offered for new hires, but the guys that have stuck it out don't get anything.

Any thoughts?
When companies offer a sign-on bonus but not a retention bonus, it's almost as though they want to get new employees in and drive the old ones out. New employees that would vote for any contract that was put in front of them.

How do you guys feel about a retention bonus? I'm wondering because I see sign on bonuses being offered for new hires, but the guys that have stuck it out don't get anything.

Any thoughts?
Careful with any kind of bonus, make sure you know how it will be taxed, we got one after the strike in the 90s, think it was $700.00 or so, ended up with $300.00 after taxes (unearned income/ luxury tax )

Careful with any kind of bonus, make sure you know how it will be taxed, we got one after the strike in the 90s, think it was $700.00 or so, ended up with $300.00 after taxes (unearned income/ luxury tax )
OMG, here go again. Bonus payments have a fixed percentage of WITHHOLDING taken out but that money is TAXED at tax filing time as regular income. How do you folks go through life not understanding that?

It's sad that so many workers are anti-union. The only way we in the industry will get wages and benefits raised is if we all collectively fight for them. Think about it. Workers from company "A" fight for better pay. Company "A" is reluctant to pay more because it would put them at a cost disadvantage compared to the other companies in the industry. Same thing if workers at company "B" ask for more. However, if workers from most all companies in the industry together fight for better wages the higher wages would apply across all companies evenly and the resistance would be lessened. This is why back in the day when most all companies were unionized the National Master Freight Agreement was so successful. The higher worker pay didn't put any one company at a cost disadvantage compared to the others since the higher pay was implemented across the board. No doubt the Teamster's Union has had it's flaws and I say that as a long time member. However, unless we band together and fight for better pay across the board we'll always be behind the eight ball compared to where we were decades ago.
In a perfect world, yes, but you guys already have the advantage of being union, you didn’t fight for it either, it was handed to you, your fathers and grandfathers are the ones that fought for it, it’s a lot easier said than done. Fighting for unionization at most non union companies is either a death sentence for your job, because you will be fired, or a death sentence for your terminal if won.

OMG, here go again. Bonus payments have a fixed percentage of WITHHOLDING taken out but that money is TAXED at tax filing time as regular income. How do you folks go through life not understanding that?
Great info ! 701 was approved for S.F.A. today, how will may retro be taxed ?