ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

When I got my retro from 707 I had the choice to get a check with withholding taken out or to have it transferred into my IRA. I chose to have it transferred into my IRA with nothing taken out. Your mileage may vary! :smile new:
i'm 74 y/o, it will go straight to the bank, they take out what they take out, retro is a gift, don't know how it slipped in

i'm 74 y/o, it will go straight to the bank, they take out what they take out, retro is a gift, don't know how it slipped in
I'm older than you, what's that got to do with it anyway? Didn't they offer you a choice how you want to take the funds? Retro is a gift? Huh? That's your back pension payments isn't it? How is that a gift? I must be missing something.

I'm older than you, what's that got to do with it anyway? Didn't they offer you a choice how you want to take the funds? Retro is a gift? Huh? That's your back pension payments isn't it? How is that a gift? I must be missing something.
Wasn't aware you could still put money in IRA after 70, good to know, yeah there's a choice, lump, 5 year payout or 401k or ira, maybe used wrong language (gift ), thought they were trying to fix pensions going forward, i'll take it what ever it's called, just surprised nobody tried to carve it out, glad they didn't, i'm owed a ton of cash

In a perfect world, yes, but you guys already have the advantage of being union, you didn’t fight for it either, it was handed to you, your fathers and grandfathers are the ones that fought for it, it’s a lot easier said than done. Fighting for unionization at most non union companies is either a death sentence for your job, because you will be fired, or a death sentence for your terminal if won.
The Teamster strike of 1994 was the third Teamsters strike I experienced. Nothing was ever handed to us.

Wasn't aware you could still put money in IRA after 70, good to know, yeah there's a choice, lump, 5 year payout or 401k or ira, maybe used wrong language (gift ), thought they were trying to fix pensions going forward, i'll take it what ever it's called, just surprised nobody tried to carve it out, glad they didn't, i'm owed a ton of cash
chappey, these funds can go into your IRA as a transfer from one retirement plan (Pension) to another (IRA). This is not considered a contribution which as you pointed out was no longer allowed after 70-1/2. However, the Secure Act changed that and you can now make an IRA contribution at any age as long as you have earned income.

OMG, here go again. Bonus payments have a fixed percentage of WITHHOLDING taken out but that money is TAXED at tax filing time as regular income. How do you folks go through life not understanding that?
Hey Tri, maybe you should grab a Snickers next time you stop.....lmao.....just messin with ya
Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK

Careful with any kind of bonus, make sure you know how it will be taxed, we got one after the strike in the 90s, think it was $700.00 or so, ended up with $300.00 after taxes (unearned income/ luxury tax )
OMG, here go again. Bonus payments have a fixed percentage of WITHHOLDING taken out but that money is TAXED at tax filing time as regular income. How do you folks go through life not understanding that?
Chappey, if you are talking about the $750.00 ratification bonus paid out for the 1998-2003 contract, we lost a helluva lot more than just the taxes on it. Instead of a .35 cent per hour pay increase for the first year of that contract, we received a $750.00 bonus in its place with wages frozen for that first year. That one time bonus has cost us all .35 cents per hour for every hour worked, every year since 1998. Myself and several others tried to explain how this was a bad thing, but most that I talked to could only see the $750.00 check in their hand with dollar signs in there eyes. That one year of not getting a raise in place of a one time payment has pretty much cost us $750.00 or more of pay each year from 1999 to current date.

Chappey, if you are talking about the $750.00 ratification bonus paid out for the 1998-2003 contract, we lost a helluva lot more than just the taxes on it. Instead of a .35 cent per hour pay increase for the first year of that contract, we received a $750.00 bonus in its place with wages frozen for that first year. That one time bonus has cost us all .35 cents per hour for every hour worked, every year since 1998. Myself and several others tried to explain how this was a bad thing, but most that I talked to could only see the $750.00 check in their hand with dollar signs in there eyes. That one year of not getting a raise in place of a one time payment has pretty much cost us $750.00 or more of pay each year from 1999 to current date.
Rock, you are 100% correct, well said

Am I seeing ya'll's expectations right?

Ya'll only want +$2hr for 2023,and only +$1hr for each year after up until 2027?

Are ya'll on crack?

You NEED. a + $9hr raise in 2023 just to get back even, and I'd say an easy $3hr bump every year after.

A 6.9% bump in this economy is *******.
No wonder other carriers won't get jack if the union guys don't.

Am I seeing ya'll's expectations right?

Ya'll only want +$2hr for 2023,and only +$1hr for each year after up until 2027?

Are ya'll on crack?

You NEED. a + $9hr raise in 2023 just to get back even, and I'd say an easy $3hr bump every year after.

A 6.9% bump in this economy is *******.
No wonder other carriers won't get jack if the union guys don't.
I have a proposal for a $2.00 bump and one for a $3.00 bump in 2023. I will most likely submit the $3.00 one depending on the state of the economy at the time proposals are being taken. Bear in mind that a large portion of our package is based on nearly $20.00 per hour paid on our behalf by ABF for healthcare and pension contributions. I also have a proposal on our yearly operating bonus to improve upon it. With what I will be proposing on it, if our OR is what it was for 2021, it will pay us at 7% instead of the 3% we received for 2021 based off of yearly earnings. I know you guys are ahead of us by $5.00 plus on the hourly rate alone. But when you consider the amount that is paid on our behalf for healthcare and pension, you guys are still behind. $21.00 in raises over a 5 year contract like you are saying should be the minimum would get laughed out of negotiations and filed in the trash can. If it makes you feel any better, I will share my crack pipe with you!!!

Last edited:
I believe as they add on more UE runs something should be put in the contract about vacation pay. You only get 9 hours of pay for a day. Which is 243.99 compared too 400.00 on average per day when you work. A road driver averages the same pay on vacation as if he was working.

I believe as they add on more UE runs something should be put in the contract about vacation pay. You only get 9 hours of pay for a day. Which is 243.99 compared too 400.00 on average per day when you work. A road driver averages the same pay on vacation as if he was working.
Rugrunner, how does this sound. I could not use the exact language from the Southern Region Road Supplement as it is based on a six (6) day work week. If there needs to be changes to it let me know.

Vacation-Pay-Utility-Employee.md.png