ABF | 2023 contract proposals

sayno2abf

TB Lurker
Credits
nothing personal towards anyone here as we all have an opinion but anything less than $35.00 per hour in our pockets in the first year is totally unacceptable I have been with abf for over 25 years and in that amount of time our total in pocket raises have totaled less than $10.00 per hour. it is time to catch up with the times we are so far behind the 8 ball in wages its pitiful -- abf got 7% from us which we will NEVER see again and speaking for chicago they also had several years of not having to pay double time on 7th day work. it is now our turn. this is not a case of i want i want this is simply put time to get current with current times . we also have 20 cents an hour to perform spotter duties and 10 cents per hour for night work--- this language was created well over 30 years ago and back then it was fair money -- now its an insult and it has never been addressed since it was created all of these things need to be changed and updated .. referring back to my saying we should be getting $35hr in first year that would not even really be considered a raise it would just be making us somewhat current to the times. abf recently showed us a video on how we have catch up to current times in how we move freight in order to keep the customer happy.. well abf practice what you preach and catch up to current times contractually and keep your employees happy as well
thanks for reading my post everyone

nothing personal towards anyone here as we all have an opinion but anything less than $35.00 per hour in our pockets in the first year is totally unacceptable I have been with abf for over 25 years and in that amount of time our total in pocket raises have totaled less than $10.00 per hour. it is time to catch up with the times we are so far behind the 8 ball in wages its pitiful -- abf got 7% from us which we will NEVER see again and speaking for chicago they also had several years of not having to pay double time on 7th day work. it is now our turn. this is not a case of i want i want this is simply put time to get current with current times . we also have 20 cents an hour to perform spotter duties and 10 cents per hour for night work--- this language was created well over 30 years ago and back then it was fair money -- now its an insult and it has never been addressed since it was created all of these things need to be changed and updated .. referring back to my saying we should be getting $35hr in first year that would not even really be considered a raise it would just be making us somewhat current to the times. abf recently showed us a video on how we have catch up to current times in how we move freight in order to keep the customer happy.. well abf practice what you preach and catch up to current times contractually and keep your employees happy as well
It’s time for them to pay up, they can’t hide it anymore. I can see a definite push in pay with the current leadership we have now, and your right we gave when they didn’t need it, it was monkey see monkey do….I’m surprised the company plants aren’t here yet crying the sky is falling….

...abf got 7% from us which we will NEVER see again ...
your whole post was good but I wanted to focus on this part of it...yes they got 7%, plus typical raises of 3% a year over 5 years is 22%.....plus the last contract with tiny raises that I believe was 1.8% average per year (I'm going off memory if wrong please correct me) so that is another 6% over 5 years, plus the crap nickel cola that should have been at least 75 cents... remember that all those raises would have also been compounded (that should make all the financial gurus happy!)....so the 35 an hour is in fact in the ballpark....

your whole post was good but I wanted to focus on this part of it...yes they got 7%, plus typical raises of 3% a year over 5 years is 22%.....plus the last contract with tiny raises that I believe was 1.8% average per year (I'm going off memory if wrong please correct me) so that is another 6% over 5 years, plus the crap nickel cola that should have been at least 75 cents... remember that all those raises would have also been compounded (that should make all the financial gurus happy!)....so the 35 an hour is in fact in the ballpark....
Don’t forget about the weeks vacation we gave up each year from 2013-2018. That was another $1000 to $1600 a year depending on your job classification.

Don’t forget about the weeks vacation we gave up each year from 2013-2018. That was another $1000 to $1600 a year depending on your job classification.
I was going to also make mention of that management has also gotten an increase in vacation time....it was in the earnings report and I innocently asked a supervisor about it and it was confirmed....

We are having our contract proposal meetings today, Monday and Tuesday. I am going to todays with a total of 121 contract proposals covering the Master, and the Road, City/Dock, Garage, and Clerical classifications. Here is the proposal I am turning in for the pay raise in the Master that covers all classifications and I hope I am not low-balling it.

226CA8C7-48BB-4E1B-A5C5-888F3884AB3F.md.jpg

We are having our contract proposal meetings today, Monday and Tuesday. I am going to todays with a total of 121 contract proposals covering the Master, and the Road, City/Dock, Garage, and Clerical classifications. Here is the proposal I am turning in for the pay raise in the Master that covers all classifications and I hope I am not low-balling it.

226CA8C7-48BB-4E1B-A5C5-888F3884AB3F.md.jpg
I don't think that your proposal is low balling it much if we get most of the other proposals you have posted. Like 7 sickdays and 3 personal days and $5,000 retention bonus. If we don't get those items to, then I believe you low balled the wages by over $2.00 an hour. ...........

Also, interesting that Little Rock has 3 days of contract proposals and ATL only has 1.

if u think we are getting 17.5 cents a mile and 7.00$ an hour, in the first year, you are delusional. Not going to happen. Mark my words. I think we will be lucky to get 6-7 cents a mile the first year. I’m all for a big raise but I know how these contracts go. Been at abf over 17 years

if u think we are getting 17.5 cents a mile and 7.00$ an hour, in the first year, you are delusional. Not going to happen. Mark my words. I think we will be lucky to get 6-7 cents a mile the first year. I’m all for a big raise but I know how these contracts go. Been at abf over 17 years
..Sysco in Boston got $5 an hour recently and after all these concessions, and the company not being shy about giving themselves bonuses and more vacation time, I'm pissed that any of my brothers or sisters would settle this time....I'm trying not to be over the top here (since it is early and that would be jumping the gun) but I'm not afraid to strike if necessary over the lack of any improvements in the last ten years, and neither should anyone else!

We see you watching.........
Watching I See You GIF by Travis

..Sysco in Boston got $5 an hour recently and after all these concessions, and the company not being shy about giving themselves bonuses and more vacation time, I'm pissed that any of my brothers or sisters would settle this time....I'm trying not to be over the top here (since it is early and that would be jumping the gun) but I'm not afraid to strike if necessary over the lack of any improvements in the last ten years, and neither should anyone else!
I'm with you brother. The last 2 contracts have me fed-up. I have no problem going on strike!!!

We don’t have enough people at abf that would strike. You will be lucky if the first offer gets voted down. There may be some supplements that get voted down a couple times but once it gets to a strike vote it will get voted yes. These younger guys and new guys think this is the best job out there. Then the older guys who are about 2 retire don’t care and will vote yes. I’m all for a good raise and everything else, but it won’t all happen. I’m just being realistic.

We don’t have enough people at abf that would strike. You will be lucky if the first offer gets voted down. There may be some supplements that get voted down a couple times but once it gets to a strike vote it will get voted yes. These younger guys and new guys think this is the best job out there. Then the older guys who are about 2 retire don’t care and will vote yes. I’m all for a good raise and everything else, but it won’t all happen. I’m just being realistic.
You’re the example of why people don’t get good contracts! You settle for substandard.