Yellow | 2023 Phase 2 Utility Chops

They just walked for a lesser offense.
New Penn has UE.
This time they change it from UE to road working dock.
Our whole 10000 page contract tells them how to run the business and has forever.
The phrase " We can't tell them how to run the business" is a BS phrase. It's a phrase to say " Shut up and let them do what they want". An impotent docile lazy phrase ...no offense to you personally because I've heard it a million times by people who may as well work sticking shelves at a nonunion grocery store collecting welfare to pay their bills
If we couldn't they'd have done thos with no questions asked. No lawyers involved
The change is going to go through- it will probably fail miserably-and you won’t have to worry about change of operations anymore in about 18 months. Maybe you can apply for a CEO job then :19:

Changing road to road/dock is for flexibility.
We want flexibility too.
Give and take.
You want that?
We want to be at the time clock, ready to go home, 5 minutes before our 8.
Every day.
No mandatory OT
And we will be the ones deciding when to head back to terminal to ensure our trucks are parked before that 7 hour and 55 minute time arrives.

Take it or leave it.
That's why YRC is in the crapper..

OMG We will be out of business by the end of the week!
We better do everything they want. And when they want to totally stop contributing to the funds I guess we better give them that too

They are using your consent to wreck the industry for the people who actually do the job

Road drivers belong in the truck.
Not on the dock

City drivers should be pulling single trailers.
Not 2 and 3.

New Penn was best for years without road working dock and with using converter gears and using a bare minimum of 53's.
Best OR.
Better than even then JB with the cheapest milage pay in the nation back then

Our system at our terminal was ...start on dock for years. Then do city for years. Then after your body was beat go on the road and just drive and make big money.
This makes it all garbage
Problem is you would already of been out of business if the government hadn't bailed you out.

It is NOT reality saying "if" there wasn't a loan, they would not survive.
Because reality says "we cannot know what would have happened".

I don't know if you've noticed.
But Yellow can be deemed THE master beggars of all beggars.
Maybe they would have begged, borrowed, or stole from somebody else to pay their bills if they hadn't received the Trump Administration deal.
So we both agree they needed someone's charity to survive.

Are they going to match XPO pay $31hr and 75cpm?
You Sir are entitled to your dreams (we all are). No, they are not going to match XPO's rate. XPO gets more per hour/mile than us, but we have fully paid "Cadillac" insurance that XPO doesn't have. There is a trade-off here. Are we under-paid?? If you actually work hard, then yes, you are underpaid. However, some of our people are paid MORE than they're worth. Don't forget, WE are the company; they are the rotating management force. We are the staying power; they jump jobs like an employment bunny.

Or they are hiding or stealing money.

Once again the same old story.
NPME was best OR AFTER deregulation.
No need to explain the same trailer size and no stacking system. And no doubles.

All other carriers except a few use doubles.
Even those few not using doubles in the Northeast probably stack.

That tells me that somebody is probably stealing or using money on totally unnecessary things. In all companies using big and wide and multiple trailers/driver...
Because they base their money on bill counts.

So....high bill counts SHOULD mean massive profits compared to our system....

Which also had NMFA rules and pay rates.

Where is the money from the high bill counts...if that is really what makes the world go 'round?

What could be the answer?. It has NOTHING to do with the union or road drivers or dock workers or trailer systems.

Everything to do with waste on unnecessary things or stealing or hiding money.
You guys are one of the cheapest carriers out here today.
That is the first problem.
If you raise your rates you wouldn't haul near as much because you have bad service times.
3.5 bph on the dock doesn't help either.

You Sir are entitled to your dreams (we all are). No, they are not going to match XPO's rate. XPO gets more per hour/mile than us, but we have fully paid "Cadillac" insurance that XPO doesn't have. There is a trade-off here. Are we under-paid?? If you actually work hard, then yes, you are underpaid. However, some of our people are paid MORE than they're worth. Don't forget, WE are the company; they are the rotating management force. We are the staying power; they jump jobs like an employment bunny.
What makes our insurance Cadillac insurance?

You guys are one of the cheapest carriers out here today.
That is the first problem.
If you raise your rates you wouldn't haul near as much because you have bad service times.
3.5 bph on the dock doesn't help either.
Actually, we’re not. and I can only speak on what’s still new penn.
I've had plenty of shippers tell me yellow has jacked new Penns prices to high putting them in a position to ship with new penn only when they have to, because they think it’s still faster.

Actually had one shipper ask me to explain why it’s cheaper to use YRC then New Penn for the same shipment when they are owned by the same people.

my answer was because they are stupid.

designated stackers would improve load factor and load quality. crossloads have to contantly reworked or they are hideous recoups with a lot of destruction.
stackers put hot freight and city freight on the rear, crossloading is only about bills per hour.
we have people who only restack trailers, because we wont assign a stacker.
managers stay in the warm or cool and most dont have a clue.

Actually, we’re not. and I can only speak on what’s still new penn.
I've had plenty of shippers tell me yellow has jacked new Penns prices to high putting them in a position to ship with new penn only when they have to, because they think it’s still faster.

Actually had one shipper ask me to explain why it’s cheaper to use YRC then New Penn for the same shipment when they are owned by the same people.

my answer was because they are stupid.
Ill agree that New Penn is a totally different animal.
The problem will be company wide when the finally stick all segments together

Ill agree that New Penn is a totally different animal.
The problem will be company wide when the finally stick all segments together
You can look at the proposal and analyze how they want to move work from one place to another and see what’s coming.

Just one example,
Maybrook NY now pays premium for weekend dock work because it’s screwed up in the change they move a ton of work from there to a much smaller terminal in NJ (which I’m told operates very well) they also take work from 2 other NJ terminals and put it in the much smaller NJ terminal.
all it does is move the problem and make it even worse. Slam the small terminal with work they can’t handle. Guys will be driving an hour and half in traffic to start peddling frieght where there’s another terminal 15 minutes away That used to do that work.

They want this set up right they need to fire the engineers that know nothing about trucking and bring in a few retired drivers and dispatchers as consultants and let them set up a map.

You can look at the proposal and analyze how they want to move work from one place to another and see what’s coming.

Just one example,
Maybrook NY now pays premium for weekend dock work because it’s screwed up in the change they move a ton of work from there to a much smaller terminal in NJ (which I’m told operates very well) they also take work from 2 other NJ terminals and put it in the much smaller NJ terminal.
all it does is move the problem and make it even worse. Slam the small terminal with work they can’t handle. Guys will be driving an hour and half in traffic to start peddling frieght where there’s another terminal 15 minutes away That used to do that work.

They want this set up right they need to fire the engineers that know nothing about trucking and bring in a few retired drivers and dispatchers as consultants and let them set up a map.
You’re kidding? Right? Bring in some experienced people as consultants? People who have actually performed the job? Shame on you.

One of our guys has these thoughts:
When Red Star closed thru goofy reasons.
Red Star had rules for for the Northeast.
Holland's rules didn't fit.
One of those rules which didn't fly was Holands road drivers working docks.

So....when Red Star closed. USF quickly tried to bring Holland here.
They did for a short while.

He said something happened because the NMFA disallows companies from bringing in another owned company after closing one......meaning that USF violated by closing Red Star and then replacing them at the same terminals with Holland.

Therefore Holland left the northeast.

So...he said...maybe there is something contractual with this Holland work rule of road working dock which disallows it from actually happening.
Maybe the notes from the hearings or some kind of records exist which might point in a direction to stop the change from road only to road/dock bids.

Opinions are welcome...don't attack messenger on this. I'm just passing on what I heard. I don't know details of the situation.
Maybe there are Red Star or Holland employees or IBT officials who were involved and may know what happened and what can be done, if anything.

I know Holland was in Allentown Local 773 for awhile and probably in 776 in Carlisle. I don't know if they took over all Red Star terminals. But them Locals may have info.

The different parts of the country view things in their own ways.
It's what it is.
Midwest does not see things as the Northeast nor the south nor the west and that applies to every other way you mix them areas up

The northeast doesn't see it as the Midwest or others do.
The South has their ways.
The west has theirs.

The guy that passed this on to me has been very knowledgeable about union and company and contract relations
And is not out to destroy any companies nor the union but think that there may be something in that USF Holland/Red Star situation which can be used in this situation of another attempt to bring Midwest or Holland work rules to the northeast
Brother, tell your friend that Holland and New Penn as well; are history, only the names are left for the remaining of the year, Yellow is the new boss, only YRC Freight rules or contract language applies.
Welcome to the new game!

Have a wonderful super bowl weekend!
:couch:

Deductable?

We pay our monthly dues.
And copays.
But no deductibles that I'm aware of.

If you have your 420 hours in for the quarter you are good.
Less than that, then you are offered an amount to pay out of pocket to cover what them hours covered.
Different plan my local has its own health and welfare fund $2000 max out of pocket for the year

In California XPO is at $35-$36 and we are at $26.15 currently. How much does other states Yellow start at and top off at? Willing to move out of California.
Don’t move!!! You want no part of that commie colony. The reason is the cost of living is sky high. Taxes are out of control. Governor Dippity Do, runs the state as a dictator. That extra money will be going from one hand to the other and poof, it’s gone. I live on the left coast 2 states up from California.