Yellow | 4 Hour Casual Rules

the Dime

Most People are Stupid
Credits
Does anyone have anything definite on the exact wording and rules for the 4 Hour Casual part of the new agreement?

10% of the active board. So if there are 120 on the board then 12 layoff members would be eligible for the 4hr guarantee. I do not know what part of the country you are in, but out here in the West we have had that language for the last 2 contracts. It was so hard for management to manage with all of the pay claims management quit trying to use this years ago.

More questions

Thanks LTL MAN I'm 710 Chicago, How does the call order work? do they use the top softies as 8 hour 3-day guarantee and the bottom of the laid off list as 4hr men? Are all softies 4hr men? Do they use 4hr men at the breaks and satellites or just the satellites? What about benefits? Sick days, Holidays, Medical? I went to Teamsters.org and the 4hr supplement said the individual locals will determine the work rules so the supplement is basically a guideline? I would imagine the rules you had out west would be basically the same.

Always seniority. All of these are currently Western Regional Work Rules. Section 3 of the Master Freight agreement address the 4hr casual rule. Now it is being changed to Cartage classification. 100hrs to receive Health and Welfare. Also a Western work rule.

they're not casuals..they are laid off

images

don't worry yourself sick over it. It's just reduce overtime and take up slack
on the dock or street.​

Currently,I am a ten percenter.If the vote passes would I be layed off and then the bottom ten percent of the bid workers would bocome 4 hour workers on call ? I also heard that 4 hour workers can only work every other day. Is this all true ??

Currently,I am a ten percenter.If the vote passes would I be layed off and then the bottom ten percent of the bid workers would bocome 4 hour workers on call ? I also heard that 4 hour workers can only work every other day. Is this all true ??

it doesn't say that..by seniority every day or it would be a violation of the seniority rule

When we agreed to allow part time dock workers it was at a lower hourly rate than full time workers. What would the rate be for the part timers if this thing passes?

One would have to be laid off first before being offered a 4 hr casual position. Being laid off, you have options.

dont worry many more lay offs asap if this gets a yes vote . also let the western COO begin 1/3 OF ALL OUT WEST WILL BE LAYED OFF WHEN THAT HAPPENS

the 4 hr local cartage deal should replace the casual gig if passed

ok, now i'm gonna need someone to confirm this or tell me he's kidding.

Here's the wording :

Four Hour Guaranteed Local Cartage Employee:
The parties recognize the need for the Employers to create
job opportunities and efficient operations during this period of financial restructuring and recession. For
these reasons, there is established a four hour guarantee local cartage employee classification. This local
cartage classification will enhance the Employers’ ability to compete and provide work for the substantial number
of laid-off employees. The four hour guaranteed local cartage worker shall have no impact on regular
straight time work opportunities of active fulltime employees, unassigned and /or 10%’ers or shapes as defined
by the 2008-13 NMFA and Supplemental Agreements.
Work performed by this new classification shall be offered daily first to laid off local cartage workers. The four
hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be paid the applicable fulltime rate of pay minus the wage
reduction (15%).
Pension and health & welfare benefits shall be paid consistent with those for regular employees,
but laid-off four (4) hour employees shall have contributions paid for hours rather than days worked. In
the event that employees in this classification work more than 6 hours, they shall be guaranteed 8 hours. There
will be no back-to-back 4 hour shifts or 4 hour overlapping shifts. Laid-off employees may be started within
bids at their respective domicile locations.
At each terminal, the number of workers in this four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be limited
to 10% of the active city cartage seniority roster with a minimum of two (2) positions. It is a violation of
this provision for the Employer to lay-off fulltime employees in order to convert them to four hour guaranteed
local cartage employees. No regular fulltime active or inactive employee may be forced to work as a four hour
guaranteed local cartage worker. The use of the four hour guaranteed local cartage employees will not negatively
impact the guarantees of regular fulltime employees. In the event that laid-off employees do not accept
four hour work opportunities or no laid-off employees are available, the Supplement shall apply. Replacement
of fulltime regular employees or an 8 hour vacancy will be filled in accordance with the Supplement.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/67753YRCMOU.pdf

Thanks R-14. What does the end of that mean. I don't really get what they're saying from "in the event that laid-off employees do not accept" and everything that follows. It says the supplement shall apply. I'm lost with all the agreements and supplements at this point. What's it all saying in plain english? Also, i'm still not clear on what the hourly rate would be for a 4 hour worker.

Thanks R-14. What does the end of that mean. I don't really get what they're saying from "in the event that laid-off employees do not accept" and everything that follows. It says the supplement shall apply. I'm lost with all the agreements and supplements at this point. What's it all saying in plain english? Also, i'm still not clear on what the hourly rate would be for a 4 hour worker.

The way I read it is as follows , if a person is all ready a employee they will get paid there usually rate of pay . If the person is a " new " 4 hour causal they will get paid what the rate in your area calls for a causal to get .

It says something about using laid off workers as 4 hr part timers. If they do would they have to change that persons status to active or would they still be considered laid off?

It says something about using laid off workers as 4 hr part timers. If they do would they have to change that persons status to active or would they still be considered laid off?

My friend now your talking out of my pay grade ! I would call your local about that !

i wouldnt expect much from your local .our BA/pres had to call ernie s from the easter confrence to find out he was wrong for telling every1 that even though they are not paying you still got credit for years of service toward retirement. duhhhhh!!!

Under this, can they recall laid offs to be 4 hour part timers? And, does anyone know...we've been taking LOA's as long as your new job isn't for a competing company. Is it the IBT's intention to change it back to only getting a LOA if it's for a nmfa pension contributing company?