Yellow | 4 hour guaranteed local cartage classification?

Box Lover

TB Lurker
Credits
I've read the full text of the proposal on the TDU website to add a "4 hour guaranteed local cartage classification" to the mix, and I would like to know how some of you interpret its implementation if this passes.

The way I read it, if you are laid off now or in the future, they can call you in as needed for only a 4 hour shift. If, however, you get recalled, you would be guaranteed 8 hours whenever you come in, even if you are a percenter. If this is the case, I could possibly see more "soft" layoffs in the future where a laid-off guy at least gets some calls.

OR

Will this proposal lead to a permanent 10% at the bottom of the seniority list who are guaranteed only 4 hours a shift and at most terminals on call too?

I've read the full text of the proposal on the TDU website to add a "4 hour guaranteed local cartage classification" to the mix, and I would like to know how some of you interpret its implementation if this passes.

The way I read it, if you are laid off now or in the future, they can call you in as needed for only a 4 hour shift. If, however, you get recalled, you would be guaranteed 8 hours whenever you come in, even if you are a percenter. If this is the case, I could possibly see more "soft" layoffs in the future where a laid-off guy at least gets some calls.

OR

Will this proposal lead to a permanent 10% at the bottom of the seniority list who are guaranteed only 4 hours a shift and at most terminals on call too?

Oh Mr. Lover!!! Where have you been! Just like you to wait for troubled times as these to make a dramatic entrance! Please keep an eye on the board for we, as you, have been waiting for Stroud to sign in and give his take on these life changing matters at "hand".

since the temp has gone down a little id say busness at the truck stop is probably picking up so him and his video equipment and more than likely busy making the easy $ . tammy needs new latex boots for the winter

OR

You have the answer right there. If this passes, the company would have no reason to call a person back from lay off status and be required to work them for at least 8 hours, because they could call that same person in for only 4 hours, pay no medical benefits, and no pension. Can we all afford long commutes for 4 hours worth of work? Can we feed our families on 4 hours per day?

there has been a lot of squawking about all the overtime some get while people are home getting nothing. The 4 hr guarantee would solve that..they could call a driver in to make pick ups and get maybe 4-6 hours. They won't call a driver in for pickups if they have to pay him 8 hrs because it's cheaper to pay the 4 hrs overtime to the driver that's already out there or they can use a 4hr man to del a straight load or hot freight in the am and maybe the driver can eek out 6 hrs. That ain't too shabby cause you can't make any money home. Some of these 4hr guys might get 30 hours a week
Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg

there has been a lot of squawking about all the overtime some get while people are home getting nothing. The 4 hr guarantee would solve that..they could call a driver in to make pick ups and get maybe 4-6 hours. They won't call a driver in for pickups if they have to pay him 8 hrs because it's cheaper to pay the 4 hrs overtime to the driver that's already out there or they can use a 4hr man to del a straight load or hot freight in the am and maybe the driver can eek out 6 hrs. That ain't too shabby cause you can't make any money home. Some of these 4hr guys might get 30 hours a week
Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg
So based on your scenario.....You are saying that if this proposal passes, the senior guy loses 4 hours of overtime to the casual (who used to be a full time employee) because the senior guy used to make those same pickups. And the former full time employee, now a casual that will never get back to full time, gets to work for 4 hours with no insurance, no pension and at a casual pay rate, and that's a GOOD thing?

Joe your management background is shining through.

I see it more of bringing in a say 6 "4HR" men in at say 18.00 work till 22.00 bring in 6 "new""4HR" men at 0001 till 0400 bring in 6 "new""4HR" men 0600 see the pattern? Keep bringing "new""4HR" man with no insurance, no pension and at a casual pay rate.
They have worked 18 guys 4 hrs ea 72 hrs total could have worked 9 guys 8 hrs ea just another way to avoid the contract (Best Contract EVER)

One of our guys is on lay off status. He gets called in here occasionally. When he is not working for us, he sometimes works for another LTL carrier. (I won't say who) He told us that he worked all four days (Mon. through Thurs.) at the "other" LTL carrier. He said that he had a total of 12 hours of work in the four days, and never got behind a steering wheel.(for those of you that are mathematically challenged, that is an average of 3 hours per day. J/K) If this isn't the perfect role model of what is going to happen if we pass this proposal, I don't know what is. Can we expect our junior men to survive on this?

This is exactly what the Union meant when they said that we need to adjust some of the work rules to help YRCW become more competitive. The nons are already doing this......and we will be following this model if we pass this. Nobody will ever get a recall letter.

Maybe stop thinking 4 hour workers around the clock and think 4 hours in the morning breaking and loading city, 4 hours in the evening breaking city pick ups and loading outbound, and in the hub 4 hours in the middle of the night. Used to be they sold out the guy not hired yet, this says it is the already laid off, guys with 10(or 20)years in.

Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg

Turn down the 4 hr. assignment= loss of unemployment comp?

You have the answer right there. If this passes, the company would have no reason to call a person back from lay off status and be required to work them for at least 8 hours, because they could call that same person in for only 4 hours, pay no medical benefits, and no pension. Can we all afford long commutes for 4 hours worth of work? Can we feed our families on 4 hours per day?

According to the information that we reviewed at our local on Saturday, the 4 - hour man would come from the laid off list of regular employees. They would also have their pension (when it resumes) and H & W benefits paid, but on an hourly basis. This is what most Teamster construction jobs have in place now. What that means is that the benefits paid in would be calculated on an hourly basis that would be figured at the end of each weeks work for the amount of hours worked.

Also, it states that if the 4 - hour man works over the 6th hour then that man would be guaranteed 8 hours.

Hey, don't forget, if you don't come in for a 4 hour shift,

there are 29 million mexicans waiting in line to

go to work in your place

Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg

joes not management but you'd think so. joe, its easy to talk like this because you're getting yours and you want a yes vote thinking if they start paying into the pension that you'll continue to get "yours". Am I right? They'll never get 6 hours because anything under 6 doesn't require payment into h&w. Remember also, even if your supplement says 4 that will change because the onion wants all supplements to be the same, thats how I'm reading this piece of garbage. Just imagine some poor smuck thats taken a transfer to keep his job, driving a 100 miles 1 way, may as well stay home with that gas bill.
Please, try to be a little more stealthy about your me-ness. PS: Is that turkey bologna sandwich what you expect the 4 hour guys to eat for dinner while you have lobster and wine?

Last edited by a moderator:
every1 is also forgetting about all those [GRAY] area's of this new contract .
think long and hard. when was last time your local won one of the gray area arguments?
its gonna be a free for all and they [yrc] will take full advantage of us to screw us even harder with nothing but some 1 blowing smoke up your butt from the local saying " yup they can do that .... you voted for it "

According to the information that we reviewed at our local on Saturday, the 4 - hour man would come from the laid off list of regular employees. They would also have their pension (when it resumes) and H & W benefits paid, but on an hourly basis. This is what most Teamster construction jobs have in place now. What that means is that the benefits paid in would be calculated on an hourly basis that would be figured at the end of each weeks work for the amount of hours worked.

Also, it states that if the 4 - hour man works over the 6th hour then that man would be guaranteed 8 hours.

If they call you in for a 4hr shift, work you 6, then your going to stay 8. Can they mandatory you 2hrs? So you will come in and not know when you are going to leave. Will this be done in seniority order or will the tm's "buddy" get the extra time if he wants it? Will the dispatcher keep the guys out that he wants longer?

Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg

Do you think that it is fair for a part time man to take overtime away from a 30 year man or is it fair that a man with14 years vacation will get his 4 th week and a 15 yr man will lose his 4 th week, there is to much gray area and not enough answers.

Everybody has got to eat
bologna-main_Full.jpg

Lets see pull a man in that is 50 miles from barn because he is 1 hr from OT and send new man (4 hr) out to make PU's in same area,save OT 1 hr in and 1 hr back out plus fuel, looks good on payroll but we lost out on fuel, the 2 hrs of lost drive time to chase the pu with 4 hr man could pay 2 hr of ot for man allready there. Trust me I have seen this done slows up frt and sends hidden cost through roof, lets see arent we suppose to be effecient

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't a 4 hr worker be considered laid off? If so, just take full lay-off. Also, LOA would still be in effect til end of May, right?