R&L | 5 minute idle time!

miami_owl

TB Lurker
Credits
HOW MUCH MORE MONEY DOES R&L NEED TO MAKE ON FUEL?WE'RE ALREADY CHARGING OVER 30% OF FUEL SURCHARGE TO MOST CUSTOMERS.NOW HERE IN MIAMI,WHEN ITS 95 DEGREES IN THE SUMMER,I GUESS WHEN I GET BACK IN THE CAB,I'LL HAVE TO SIT AND COOL OFF FOR A FEW MINUTES AFTER EVERY STOP!SAVE FUEL PAY LONGER HOURS!:hysterical:

You must be kinda new to the ltl trucking world, what do you think it was like a few years ago when lots of city drivers had no A/C or power steering?
Be glad you've got A/C at all young pup................

And quit using all caps, it's considered shouting and is kinda rude.

Sorry about the caps truckdriver.Ive been with r&l over 12 years and i also drove trucks without a/c.I recall groing up with no remote control for the tv"s also,but i wouldnt be without one now!

No biggie, I haven't heard anything about idle time from the company yet.
Now the local sheriff dept. is writing tickets for over 5 minutes. Heard they wrote over 50 at the Flying J near our terminal to the tune of 265 bucks each!! Just a little chatter on the cb about it!!

HOW MUCH MORE MONEY DOES R&L NEED TO MAKE ON FUEL?WE'RE ALREADY CHARGING OVER 30% OF FUEL SURCHARGE TO MOST CUSTOMERS.NOW HERE IN MIAMI,WHEN ITS 95 DEGREES IN THE SUMMER,I GUESS WHEN I GET BACK IN THE CAB,I'LL HAVE TO SIT AND COOL OFF FOR A FEW MINUTES AFTER EVERY STOP!SAVE FUEL PAY LONGER HOURS!:hysterical:
Heck we haven't seen a truck that would idle for ten yrs in STL......... I'd rather be hot than freeze to death in green casket sitting along the highway!!!!!

in my area if the police or D.E.P. see you idle for more than 3min. they can give you a ticket. Tickets start at $300 first offence up to $1500. So thank Al Gore for the hot cab not Mr. Roberts

Anybody with a brain knows that leaving a truck idle for a little bit makes more sense than shutting the truck down every 5 minutes even with fuel prices the way they are. It is a lot harder on the equipment (starter, batteries, etc.) when the trucks keep shutting down. I could see if you are going to be stopped for more than 30 minutes or so shutting the truck down. I had a truck one time that I could not override the shutdown and I had to take 15 pallets off with the liftgate. After taking off about 2 pallets sure enough the truck shut down. I was definately not going to keep running back and forth like an idiot to keep re-starting the truck. Of course by the time I was done unloading, when I went to start the truck, the thing barely started and I could not build up a good enough voltage to safely drive. So then I had to take the truck to a garage where they finally got the voltage to build up again and the mechanic told me the alternator was about shot. I loved calling breakdown though and rubbing it in to their stupid redneck faces about how if I could get the truck to idle, there wouldn't have been a problem.:hysterical:

It's not the mechanic's fault or the Roberts. Simple fact is that it is the law now in most places that nothing (cars or trucks) can idle longer than 3min. or you will get a ticket....I know drivers that have got one

I know what you're saying citydriver but some of our trucks if you turn up up the cruise control a little bit it overrides the shutdown. If they made all of the trucks like that it would not be a problem.

Yeah the Internationals we had would do that,but the new Macks dont...you can step up the idle all you want and they still shut off