TForce | 6 months to get hired...3 days later-wet road accident; am I finished already?

upsfnewhire

TB Lurker
Credits
Worked long and hard to get a excellent position as a FT Road driver, (a rare new hire position with plenty of hours). Did one week of training (paperwork), and on the 3rd day of driving-I was coming down a hill in a fresh rain to a stoplight, and couldn't get doubles stopped, and hit a senior citizen in her Buick at low speed. 3000 lbs in front box, back box empty--all they wanted to do was jacknife, and fortunately there was nobody next to me to also run into. Felt real confident that I'd have no problem getting stopped right up to the very end, but no such luck...
I figure I've lost this job, but am getting no answers from management. The local policeman gave me a city ticket for reckless driving, because he said that it could be easier beat than a driving too fast for conditions would be a state charge? (I am going to lawyer up for court date). Never been a union member, but haven't worked long enough for local to help me. Any UPSF veterans have any idea whether I have any shot of returning to my job at UPSF again?

Worked long and hard to get a excellent position as a FT Road driver, (a rare new hire position with plenty of hours). Did one week of training (paperwork), and on the 3rd day of driving-I was coming down a hill in a fresh rain to a stoplight, and couldn't get doubles stopped, and hit a senior citizen in her Buick at low speed. 3000 lbs in front box, back box empty--all they wanted to do was jacknife, and fortunately there was nobody next to me to also run into. Felt real confident that I'd have no problem getting stopped right up to the very end, but no such luck...
I figure I've lost this job, but am getting no answers from management. The local policeman gave me a city ticket for reckless driving, because he said that it could be easier beat than a driving too fast for conditions would be a state charge? (I am going to lawyer up for court date). Never been a union member, but haven't worked long enough for local to help me. Any UPSF veterans have any idea whether I have any shot of returning to my job at UPSF again?

Geez...sorry to here about that accident already.I'm not UPSF, however I'm a fellow teamster.

Follow your chain of command thru your local,starting with your steward thats why ur paying
dues. Good luck driver.

And I thought I had bad luck. I don't think anybody can tell you for certain what your outcome will be. All you can do is check with your union, don't be pushy as you are on probation and there is really nothing the union can do for you on this one (other than possibly aggravate the employer). Best of luck to you and I hope you get a break on it.

When I got hired on at my current employer(never worked for UPS) if you so much as got any type of moving violation citation even with your personal vehicle while you were on probation your job was toast.

You're still under the probationary period and in UPS Freight's eyes this is a preventable accident.
To top it off you hit another vehicle.
"Did you do everything you possibly could to avoid the accident?" SMITH Sytem training will come into play.

The policeman gave you the lesser of the two evils and you are pretty much guilty of both.

I wish I could give you some concrete answers but not every terminal has the same outcome.
Keep in close contact with your Steward.
That's why it's nice to have these forums where we can share the info. and try to get everyone on the same page.

Keep us posted on what happens. Either good or bad.

start looking, see ya

Ups policy is termination for any tier 3 accident (rear end, hit in side going thru intersection,hiting a person)

back in 08 when i started a guy had 3 days left of probation, had an accident and he was gone. the union could do nothin for him cause he was still on probation.