XPO | 65mph, Is It Just Us Mostly?

I drive a 2017 with the red come apart engine, when we were at 70 the truck ran fantastic, engine sounded like it was running the way it should. Now they turned it back again and it doesn't sound normal, can't breath, or get out of its own way...kinda like me..
Some engines provided me with music when in the sweet spot.

GLORIOUS... effing GLORIOUS.

None of that in my later years fighting with office configured computer crap that essentially whine like a over abused weed whacker and then soots up and burns up internally.

Thats one of the reasons I turned in my CDL a few years ago after something like 37 odd years holding and using it. Trucking companies became really stupid. Trying to save a dime and spill a dollar cleaning up that mess.

I worked with many engines in my lifetime. And am grateful. Many of them make music when they are running well. (Within specs more or less) some were roaring monsters that needed a firm hand on the horsies.)

Today I hear too many engines gasp, wheeze and be astmatic. If they cannot breathe in enough, they cannot pass gas out well. Then shart all over themselves trying to dispose of the waste. And only last a few years if that. I have not heard a honest by god Turbo whine feeding on charge air properly cold or the whistle of the super charger kicking a mountain in the ass upgrade at speed limit or bettter. None of that.

Just wheezing POS American made crap neutered and casterated requiring half a freaking day just to crawl around wyoming.

Nope; Here at T-force King Alain has cut em all back to 65.

My feelings:
You know the saying "Guns don't kill people. People do." i feel it's the same way with speed governors. i notice that with smaller barns, by and large, the drivers are responsible with higher-governed trucks. So, i guess considering the size of our company, the cutting it back to 65 was the prudent thing to do?

i think they should let each individual terminal decide for themselves on this matter. i feel that the smaller terminals----say 20 or 30 drivers or less, and in that case you might have 5-10 road drivers----and that's where governing really matters because in a lot of p+D you're not getting even close to 55-65. i feel the smaller terminals COULD operate safely at even up to 75 and still be safe.

It has been my experience with companies like KTC etc. Call it 250 drivers max. Their trucks were ungoverned and a dispatch crew that took advantage of it. Essentially overnight anywhere east of the Mississippi. And I mean anywhere.

That company was bought out. I got the hell out of there when they casterated my tractor to 60. That created a situation where the top two gears were no longer availible and you sat in 7th at high 40's tossing fuel at floored pedal going no where and holding up traffic something awful.

I quit. Which is probably what they wanted. I got out while the getting was good as I see it. They know better. But did not give a damn.

And those dollar trucks? you were not on time anyway. SO... tool along at speed limit and dont stress yourself man. Give dispatch a inch they take a mile. Greedy.

Nope; Here at T-force King Alain has cut em all back to 65.

My feelings:
You know the saying "Guns don't kill people. People do." i feel it's the same way with speed governors. i notice that with smaller barns, by and large, the drivers are responsible with higher-governed trucks. So, i guess considering the size of our company, the cutting it back to 65 was the prudent thing to do?

i think they should let each individual terminal decide for themselves on this matter. i feel that the smaller terminals----say 20 or 30 drivers or less, and in that case you might have 5-10 road drivers----and that's where governing really matters because in a lot of p+D you're not getting even close to 55-65. i feel the smaller terminals COULD operate safely at even up to 75 and
You should email, Brad with your idea. I’m sure he would see an advantage to trucks running 75 mph.

Freight moving faster.
Drivers being able to get done quicker to spend more time at home.
Or drivers would have more time in the break room, yards, or truck stops, for texting, talking, and complaining about XPO.

You should email, Brad with your idea. I’m sure he would see an advantage to trucks running 75 mph.

Freight moving faster.
Or drivers would have more time in the break room, yards, or truck stops, for texting, talking, and complaining about XPO.
My bet would be on the latter. :smile new:

Freight moving faster.
Last I knew he worked at t force....

Freight moving faster.
Yeah. Sorry. Email the Canuck upnorth…

Faster Trucks & Bigger Mirrors are all truck drivers fantasy dreams !
Speeding Hurry Up GIF by Hunter Preston

3 1/2 hour run today, here is who passed me: UPS, OLD DOMINION, ESTES, SAIA, FEDEX FREIGHT, KNIGHT, SWIFTT, WERNER, FEDEX GROUND, AND EVEN YRC. Good for them, the worst part about going 65, is trying to pass a truck going 64 mph. You need so much open highway, in order to have the time to creep pass them, without causing a traffic jam behind you. It seems to me, the slowest trucks on the road now are: May trucking, most Schineder, Stewart, Smart and Final, and .......Xpo Logistics. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I’m all for safety, but when you get stuck behind these slower trucks, you can’t use cruise control, or else you will drop down to 62mph, to get a safe distance. When we did 70mph, it was great. You were able to separate from the 64mph and lower trucks, and the trucks that did over 70mph, passed you by, leaving you for the most part, by your self, able to set cruise control, and relax. So it’s seems to me, we are the slowest ltl carrier on the road today, it’s strange to me, other carriers don’t feel the need to turn down their tractors.
You make your job so much more stressful than it has to be. Take the headset off,leave the phone alone and listen to audiobooks. When you’re into a good story, you might just get pissed your getting there to fast. I can’t imagine a life where I spend 7 hours a day counting how many trucks pass me and I can’t image listening to you talking the rest of the day telling me how many trucks got in YOUR way. Hell of a way to make $100,000 plus a year.LMAO

I run for OD with a 68mph tractor. I run from Indy to the Quad Cities and I had one of you guys pass me a few days ago. My mitigation picked up his speed bouncing between 70/71mph. It was single axle pulling doubles.

You make your job so much more stressful than it has to be. Take the headset off,leave the phone alone and listen to audiobooks. When you’re into a good story, you might just get pissed your getting there to fast. I can’t imagine a life where I spend 7 hours a day counting how many trucks pass me and I can’t image listening to you talking the rest of the day telling me how many trucks got in YOUR way. Hell of a way to make $100,000 plus a year.LMAO
I have hundreds of trucks pass me daily on 294, and I don’t care.

If you keep the left door shut you will see those fast trucks pass you 2 maybe 3 times during your trip.... to me those fast trucks stop more often than the slow ones.

I use to get excited about going slow.... there's nothing I can do about it.... nobody cares. I always look forward to getting new drive tires to get maybe a mile... mile and a half faster in speed....lol

Omg, soooo right ! We have a guy who time himself from certain mile markers to another every night to see if he can beat his pace from day to day. Takes no 30 minute brake and cuts every corner he can to get back faster. Hes obsessed with having the fastest truck and who beats him back everyday. You get paid to drive from point a to b. A good part of your life is spent behind that wheel .Why would you creat such stress on yourself. Let alone put the public at risk In acting that way. I see it as very unprofessional. I don’t want to here if you make it back 15 minutes earlier you made more per hour ! Half the guys hang out for a bit at the terminal when they return before going home so what’s the difference. The company is not impressed by your antics . So what the big deal ? It’s all in your head. Relax , be professional and safe .

If you keep the left door shut you will see those fast trucks pass you 2 maybe 3 times during your trip.... to me those fast trucks stop more often than the slow ones.

I use to get excited about going slow.... there's nothing I can do about it.... nobody cares. I always look forward to getting new drive tires to get maybe a mile... mile and a half faster in speed....lol
I hate new drive tires, the deep lug type I mean. They flex when you turn and give you a feeling of over steer. Hard to steer in a straight line going down the road with them. Of course they're great for traction in the snow though.

I remember Hewitt who became a big star one night on a local kansas radio station, a tiny one antenna AM or FM job late night under the stars. The girl was not yet adult but having finished a feature film something or other the DeeJay made a small one hour program live with her on the other side of the radio booth there.

Without going into detail about the down home this and that and giggles and so on that wholesome show (That I remember most) it managed to help me put away Limon almost to Kansas City across a stretch I was finding a bit difficult that night in the approaching storm front. Fighting with that steering wheel.

And so the DeeJay and Hewitt were there in the cab in the passenger seat for a few hours that night.

I try hard not to get too absorbed in the radio, audio or whatever else is going on. I sometimes forget I am cruising in a 40 ton vehicle going god only knows where some days.

I did wonder one thing. Why in the world will Hewitt try to make some sort of living syndicating small radio shows in places that may have 10 people who are asleep at that hour? Not including the thousand odd truckers listening in as they rolled towareds the sun.

It’s all in the mind.

Faster Trucks & Bigger Mirrors are all truck drivers fantasy dreams !
Speeding Hurry Up GIF by Hunter Preston
Would be smaller mirrors, partner.
Less wind resistance.
Improved fuel mileage.
Able to get done .0038 of a minute sooner daily.
Driver would get more rest.
Driver would be able to be on phone longer
Freight moves faster
Camera not likely to record accurately
Less coaching for , “an event”

I run for OD with a 68mph tractor. I run from Indy to the Quad Cities and I had one of you guys pass me a few days ago. My mitigation picked up his speed bouncing between 70/71mph. It was single axle pulling doubles.
There are a few trucks that were never returned to 65 from 70. I know of one XPO truck with no governor. Easy to get in trouble with I’m sure.