SAIA | 68 mph is absolutely lovely!!

Well my apologies captain ISAIA, I’ll just take my 20 years of driving ignorance to the saia thread that doesn’t understand :tr10driving03:

What I have noticed since the trucks have been turned up is that I don't constantly have trucks on my side trying to pass me going 66 mph taking all day which is dangerous.
Don't know why my response is troubling it's just common sense if you have less trucks trying to pass you going 66 mph all day there's more chance of accident . I do back off and let them pass by. Now it's not as frequent as it was before and i like it.
Well which is it... Do you back out...or does it take all day to pass you? Going faster doesn't alleviate the problem any more then just being courteous.

Well my apologies captain ISAIA, I’ll just take my 20 years of driving ignorance to the saia thread that doesn’t understand :tr10driving03:
I guess I"ll have to take my multi decade, multi million mile, safe driving butt and join you cuz I don't understand either. Captain ISAIA, that's funny.

Ok let me see if my math is correct here. If you go 200 miles @ 65mph it would be 3hrs-5minutesISH and 200 miles @ 68mph is 2hrs-55min, right? So your getting an extra 10 minutes???

Where it could come into play is opening up runs for drivers that couldn’t exist at 65mph.
The run I retired on was a 616 mile turn. If we would have been running 62mph this run wouldn’t have the mialage cushion that the company wants built into the runs to cover it. What if one of the two terminals moved 5 miles further from the other because of expansion and or a lease no being renewed. What if the meet point no longer let Saia meet there and one end of the run had to move 5 miles or more? What if they have plans to open longer runs or move terminals? Trust me, that is more then likely the reason, not saving 10 minutes on a scrubs 400 mile run.

Ok , that makes more sense for that scenario. Actually it’s 20 minutes total for 400 miles if my math is correct. Since they are micromanaging maniacs,(which is a flawed system) I also wonder if they are thinking that’s 20 more minutes of time to break a extra trailer to get on the street?? Can’t remember how much time they give dockworkers per trl/bill count.

When are you guys going to learn? The company doesn't give you anything for free. They turned up the trucks 3 mph, whoopee, nice carrot. You better be ready to duck because the stick is coming shortly.
Where it could come into play is opening up runs for drivers that couldn’t exist at 65mph.
The run I retired on was a 616 mile turn. If we would have been running 62mph this run wouldn’t have the mialage cushion that the company wants built into the runs to cover it.
A 616 mile turn is too much. How long did it take you to run that in a 65 mph tractor? You only had 5 1/2 hours to run one side of it and it had better be all interstate with no small towns or woods involved. Even with the trucks turned up to 68 mph, theoretically, you only gain about 15 minutes or so to each side. That's a small margin and can be gobbled up in a blink of an eye.
You talk of being safe but you wanted the big payday and you were willing to keep your foot in it, you had to keep your foot in it. Rain, fog, or wintery mix be damned, you had to go because the clock wouldn't stop. If you were constantly pressured to be in that big of a hurry, personally, I would have preferred that you were behind me. That way, your balls to the wall approach to driving, couldn't shut down the road ahead of me.
My run is a little over a 500 mile turn and pays around 90 grand a year and I don't have to rush like my life depended on it. You, on the other hand, apparently think that your time was worth so much more and you were willing to rush like your life and unfortunately everyone else's, who had the misfortune to be around you, depended on it. Thank God you have retired, that's one less super trucker, on the road.

Last edited:
A 616 mile turn is too much. How long did it take you to run that in a 65 mph tractor? You only had 5 1/2 hours to run one side of it and it had better be all interstate with no small towns or woods involved. Even with the trucks turned up to 68 mph, theoretically, you only gain about 15 minutes or so to each side. That's a small margin and can be gobbled up in a blink of an eye.
You talk of being safe but you wanted the big payday and you were willing to keep your foot in it, you had to keep your foot in it. Rain, fog, or wintery mix be damned, you had to go because the clock wouldn't stop. If you were constantly pressured to be in that big of a hurry, personally, I would have preferred that you were behind me. That way, your balls to the wall approach to driving, couldn't shut down the road ahead of me.
My run is a little over a 500 mile turn and pays around 90 grand a year and I don't have to rush like my life depended on it. You, on the other hand, apparently think that your time was worth so much more and you were willing to rush like your life and unfortunately everyone else's, who had the misfortune to be around you, depended on it. Thank God you have retired, that's one less super trucker, on the road.

Actually the terminal I retired from has 6 or 7 of those runs met by the opposing terminal who’s run is either 3 miles more or less, I can’t remember which. Five hours out and five hours back with two quick stops for any of us at 65. I wasn’t around when it was bumped to 68 obviously. We did it in snow rain and high winds and totally legit in the E-logs. It wasn’t a rush, just cruising along. 22.5 years accident free. When I was back east I was doing 574 with two to four stops a night still in ten hours driving. That run still exists and is being run and has for over ten years. In fact, it runs in both directions of that circle. Neither run is anything special or difficult.

Actually the terminal I retired from has 6 or 7 of those runs met by the opposing terminal who’s run is either 3 miles more or less, I can’t remember which. Five hours out and five hours back with two quick stops for any of us at 65. I wasn’t around when it was bumped to 68 obviously. We did it in snow rain and high winds and totally legit in the E-logs. It wasn’t a rush, just cruising along. 22.5 years accident free. When I was back east I was doing 574 with two to four stops a night still in ten hours driving. That run still exists and is being run and has for over ten years. In fact, it runs in both directions of that circle. Neither run is anything special or difficult.
I run 590 a day and have 1 1/2 hrs drive time left over at the end of the day

I run 590 a day and have 1 1/2 hrs drive time left over at the end of the day and I’m still in a 65 mph truck and that’s a day run in daytime traffic. I drove a 68 mph truck last week the biggest improvement I found is that it is much easier to pass someone without being passed by the pissed off impatient four wheelers and big trucks on the right side it also seems like I’m not stuck in that mile long parade all the time

I run 590 a day and have 1 1/2 hrs drive time left over at the end of the day and I’m still in a 65 mph truck and that’s a day run in daytime traffic. I drove a 68 mph truck last week the biggest improvement I found is that it is much easier to pass someone without being passed by the pissed off impatient four wheelers and big trucks on the right side it also seems like I’m not stuck in that mile long parade all the time
You run 590 at 9.5 hours per day ? By the calculator, that's averaging a little over 62 MPH for 9.5 hours.Even at 11 hours, the average speed is almost 54 MPH. That's not even factoring in how long it takes you to get to the interstate and that time is not going to be 54 MPH. Here is what is troubling to me. ...it is much easier to pass someone without being passed by the pissed off impatient four wheelers and big trucks on the right side it also seems like I’m not stuck in that mile long parade all the time... That tells me that you have to hang out, in the left lane, and back up all those impatient four wheelers, because, whoever you are trying to pass, is not backing off, but neither are you.

That's a 590 mile run. Try the math on a 600+ mile run, that Phil Williams regularly did in 10 hours. That's an average of over 62 MPH and We did it in snow rain and high winds.
Gentlemen, more power to you, but I still would like to be driving, in front of you.

Dude they are pissed off way before they even catch up to me lol you know better than that besides what am I supposed to do stay behind a 62 mph prime truck nursing the camera when I can do 68 and get around him ? I wouldn’t expect anyone else to do that so I’m not gonna do it either. But on the times stand by I will post a pic of my vnomics this afternoon and you can make your judgment on that

What I have noticed since the trucks have been turned up is that I don't constantly have trucks on my side trying to pass me going 66 mph taking all day which is dangerous. The trucks that pass me know or faster like 70 mph plus so that pass quickly not impeding traffic which is a lot safer. Most of the time I'm riding alone and I like it. No complaints here.
Now you have 68 trucks driving alongside for miles.
Dayton

Ok , that makes more sense for that scenario. Actually it’s 20 minutes total for 400 miles if my math is correct. Since they are micromanaging maniacs,(which is a flawed system) I also wonder if they are thinking that’s 20 more minutes of time to break a extra trailer to get on the street?? Can’t remember how much time they give dockworkers per trl/bill count.
When I caculated the difference in time and mpg hit, the company pays more for fuel than the extra pay the driver makes IF the driver even clocks into dock for that extra time.
It was something to the tune of $25 extra fuel for $12 extra driver pay for 55 mph mpg vs 65 mph mpg.

Id rather get paid a MPG bonus for driving slower, safer, and better for environment.

You run 590 at 9.5 hours per day ? By the calculator, that's averaging a little over 62 MPH for 9.5 hours.Even at 11 hours, the average speed is almost 54 MPH. That's not even factoring in how long it takes you to get to the interstate and that time is not going to be 54 MPH. Here is what is troubling to me. ...it is much easier to pass someone without being passed by the pissed off impatient four wheelers and big trucks on the right side it also seems like I’m not stuck in that mile long parade all the time... That tells me that you have to hang out, in the left lane, and back up all those impatient four wheelers, because, whoever you are trying to pass, is not backing off, but neither are you.

That's a 590 mile run. Try the math on a 600+ mile run, that Phil Williams regularly did in 10 hours. That's an average of over 62 MPH and We did it in snow rain and high winds.
Gentlemen, more power to you, but I still would like to be driving, in front of you.

Out of curiosity, what kind of safety record do you have?

Out of curiosity, what kind of safety record do you have?
Since you asked 16 year at saia zero citations other than overweights zero accidents zero write ups 1 point on my attendance record that comes off at the end of November. 12 years at my previous employer no citations no accidents 3.5 million safe miles total between both jobs.

HilueoM.jpg

Since you asked 16 year at saia zero citations other than overweights zero accidents zero write ups 1 point on my attendance record that comes off at the end of November. 12 years at my previous employer no citations no accidents 3.5 million safe miles total between both jobs.

Pssst, I asked Dracula, he’s the one that is afraid to be behind us because we drive ‘too hard.’ However, I’m glad you proved my point, no reason anyone should worry about our abilities to manage a perfectly easy run.