ABF | 70 hours for city driver's.

I am transitioning out the Navy. I have an opportunity to be a city driver/FL operator at ABF where they move me to a location, get my CDL and give me a position in Dallas. I was worried about ABF not allowing OT. I love to work and want to work as much as I can. It looks like ABF is a good place to get hours? Its between ABF and JK Moving in N. Virginia. JK Moving says their semi drivers make a minimum of 100k-150k but are OTR. Any advice guys? Thank you!

1st WELCOME to T.B. , we have some of the top professionals from all the trucking companies here.
ABF has always been a good company in my eyes. I drove 42-43 years my friend. In LTL (less than load) you will run city and make deliveries to customers , there will be some hand freight and some driving - dock too , unloading / loading. As far as a moving company A757 most of it will be hand unloaded by you and more than some others assigned to you (hopefully) My friend who is younger than I did moving and owned 6 semis that went all over the U.S.A. he is toast and lives on Tramadol daily . It's like food service , same bad stuff bouncing down and up stairs loaded to the hill on that hand truck to save you time so you can get your stops off. One of our Mods works directly for ABF along with others here. I'm sure you will make friends here fast and you will find the folks that can tell you what places have better management & policies . We also have some high up Union guys to help sort it out the union/non-union stuff.

Good Luck - SMOKESTACK

I am transitioning out the Navy. I have an opportunity to be a city driver/FL operator at ABF where they move me to a location, get my CDL and give me a position in Dallas. I was worried about ABF not allowing OT. I love to work and want to work as much as I can. It looks like ABF is a good place to get hours? Its between ABF and JK Moving in N. Virginia. JK Moving says their semi drivers make a minimum of 100k-150k but are OTR. Any advice guys? Thank you!
Call me biased (although if you read my posts I call ABF out frequently) but I would say ABF...moving is tough, as a driver you are in charge of your lumpers, (helpers) but if you get some lazy ones you are picking up the slack....very tough job, I know guys who did it.....you will get OT at ABF if you want it, or you can be a road driver and make more money....road drivers aren't normally out all week so you have decent home time....good luck...

1st WELCOME to T.B. , we have some of the top professionals from all the trucking companies here.
ABF has always been a good company in my eyes. I drove 42-43 years my friend. In LTL (less than load) you will run city and make deliveries to customers , there will be some hand freight and some driving - dock too , unloading / loading. As far as a moving company A757 most of it will be hand unloaded by you and more than some others assigned to you (hopefully) My friend who is younger than I did moving and owned 6 semis that went all over the U.S.A. he is toast and lives on Tramadol daily . It's like food service , same bad stuff bouncing down and up stairs loaded to the hill on that hand truck to save you time so you can get your stops off. One of our Mods works directly for ABF along with others here. I'm sure you will make friends here fast and you will find the folks that can tell you what places have better management & policies . We also have some high up Union guys to help sort it out the union/non-union stuff.

Good Luck - SMOKESTACK
Thank you thank you. I think I will do ABF then. Moving does sound rough. I dont think the pay increase is worth my health.

Call me biased (although if you read my posts I call ABF out frequently) but I would say ABF...moving is tough, as a driver you are in charge of your lumpers, (helpers) but if you get some lazy ones you are picking up the slack....very tough job, I know guys who did it.....you will get OT at ABF if you want it, or you can be a road driver and make more money....road drivers aren't normally out all week so you have decent home time....good luck...
Thank you sir

Yes Sir ! feel free to float around and look at all the trucking chatter .
You may even consider a Walmart Distribution Center as a driver .
Plenty to read here , never be afraid to ask a question of the members.
You have read our rules ? Protect your ID & password , never mention names
and phone numbers . You have private messaging here for that where
only you and the other member can read .

We will help you sort it out , we as I said have some of the BEST of the BEST here
from the industry .

SMOKESTACK - TB ADMIN

You’ll get as much OT as you want in Dallas. Pm me and I can give you a few details on the driver training.

Yes Sir ! feel free to float around and look at all the trucking chatter .
You may even consider a Walmart Distribution Center as a driver .
Plenty to read here , never be afraid to ask a question of the members.
You have read our rules ? Protect your ID & password , never mention names
and phone numbers . You have private messaging here for that where
only you and the other member can read .

We will help you sort it out , we as I said have some of the BEST of the BEST here
from the industry .

SMOKESTACK - TB ADMIN
I will check out the Walmart Distribution Center. Is that part of the Walmart Regional driver program which requires 2 years? Or is that thru a company?

Thank you thank you. I think I will do ABF then. Moving does sound rough. I dont think the pay increase is worth my health.
Welcome friend, thank you for your service to the USA. Now that you have decided on ABF do you need any legal, financial or maybe medical advice, all can be taken care of right here on TB, truckers are world known for our advanced knowledge of any & all subjects. :lmao:

Welcome friend, thank you for your service to the USA. Now that you have decided on ABF do you need any legal, financial or maybe medical advice, all can be taken care of right here on TB, truckers are world known for our advanced knowledge of any & all subjects. :lmao:
Don't forget we have the foremost authority on big women here too!!!
Thanks I forgot all about SOR's cousins Puddin & Bertha.

hotI am transitioning out the Navy. I have an opportunity to be a city driver/FL operator at ABF where they move me to a location, get my CDL and give me a position in Dallas. I was worried about ABF not allowing OT. I love to work and want to work as much as I can. It looks like ABF is a good place to get hours? Its between ABF and JK Moving in N. Virginia. JK Moving says their semi drivers make a minimum of 100k-150k but are OTR. Any advice guys? Thank you!
Andy757...just a poke at humor...I ask all of my retired Navy buddies..."were you on the ship when they filmed the Cher, "If I could turn back time video" ?

I always get chuckles...one guy told me that he was the dude that slid down the ramp at the end! Wow, she is smokin' hot in that video !