TForce | A Brother lost his home in a fire. Keep his family in our thoughts.

Crumudgeon

Guru of the Gobblydeguk Constitutionalist
PREMIUM
Credits
Fellow TB contributor, TFI driver, Brother Teamster Toiletpaper lost his home in a fire Fri. night. Brother TP was on the road when he got the call, thankfully his wife and dog escaped unharmed. I've seen some pics and it looks like a major loss. The Ol' "thoughts and prayers" would be appreciated, I am sure. Hope for wisdom and patience for the coming stressful time.

Clothes dryer..
Which causes many home fires . I make Mrs. SS clean and change that vent hose once a year . We never leave it on when we go to bed or leave the house . Thank God she and the pup got out in time . The house will be rebuilt but our friend and Brother is safe as well as his family .

Which causes many home fires . I make Mrs. SS clean and change that vent hose once a year . We never leave it on when we go to bed or leave the house . Thank God she and the pup got out in time . The house will be rebuilt but our friend and Brother is safe as well as his family .
I know from being with the Fire Co. many moons ago, dryer fires were second only to portable heaters in fires. Surprisingly, portable fans were next..

Being old and damaged, crawling under my house is not an option anymore. There is a guy who advertises locally who comes by every three months and for like $35 cleans the hose and vent. Going to call him, seems like cheap insurance.

We had a crawl space under ours.

We finally hired people to finish the space and install a variety of shielding and bring the thing to code. All of it.

I dont do confined spaces and need sedation when in them at the hospital. I had a mill accident years ago in which I was not sure if I was going to survive that little crush. Fortunately several people were paying attention.

Everything went out the wall above the space with the exception of the new sewer that got installed.

We cleaned that dryer hose among other things several times a year. Its not allowed to try and burn us down.

HOWEVER...

Wife complained for YEARs that stupid mains junction box in our bedroom wall was buzzing bad when the house was juicing off the pole in terms of gulping electricity. Told her forget it, its 50 years old what do you expect?

That was ignorance talking on my part. I should have known better.

The electrician came to rebuild and replace the mains one day and told us we were on our way to a double fatality house fire once the service wires from the poles going into the top of the box itself ate through the insulation. We were at times pulling 90 amps. The box was only coded and built to hold 50 amps. So it was slowly eating through and will have eventually torched our place with us in it.

We installed a 200 amp mains and beefed the ::shit:: out of it. I think we also installed two inch thick stranded copper from Meter above it to the box so that the meter would not feel the heat and spin fast anymore when the house pulled on it. Stuck a 12 foot single pole ground copper into the ground below. Fused the lot and attached a generator patch among other things. Over built.

No more buzzing. Just a pleasant hum when its drawing what it needs all at once for everything.

Where I am now the greatest danger is oxygen. Poof. At least I will be patting off the smoking clothes when I show up in St Peters at the Golden Gates. It wont take long at all.

I hope TP finds a safe place to stay while he gets this issue sorted out.
My new dryer was taking a very long time to dry. I swear I had to cycle it twice.
I decided to run a camera line through the dryer vent outside and found a huge amount of lint build up.
I was lucky to have a 40 ft straight shot so I used a dryer vent brush attached to my drill on the outside in and attached my leaf blower to the dryer side going out. (Cleaned out the dryer lint too) I avoided a potential fire.

We all need to get our dryer vents cleaned out of we haven’t already.

From the bottom of my heart than you all for the thoughts and prayers. I'll admit I did shed a few tears but to me its just a house with out my wife and kids it would never be home. My family is my everything and I'm thankful to God that he allowed them to escape unharmed.

I suppose home is where the heart is. Wherever you are.

There were many homes in my time, however everyone has pretty much passed on so... what home is there?

Mother and I was sitting in our home above a business one night. Storm came up. Violent and noisy. While we were talking our world turned white with no sound. I knew then we got hit and probably was on fire in the building which raises another set of problems.

The bolt hit the service mains supporting the entire business and housing unit and raced straight down into the basement meter and power box. The thing is higher than a man and is racks and racks of fuses. Some of which are old shotgun style.

Blew the meter up. Blew the box and then tried to go after the stock in the basement as well. Its fortunate that the fire dept got there when they did. The gas company had to replace the whole thing.

Its amazing in a city with all sorts of power to pick from that lightning bolt had to pick ours, stepping over two ordinary homes to get to that spot from that angle. Probably because they did not draw what we were drawing.

From the bottom of my heart than you all for the thoughts and prayers. I'll admit I did shed a few tears but to me its just a house with out my wife and kids it would never be home. My family is my everything and I'm thankful to God that he allowed them to escape unharmed.
Exactly !
We are thankful to still have you TP and family , God Bless all of you .

Okay thanks for checking in .
Yea don't get me started on
the insurance thing . Pay your
premiums on time and don't
bother us....

God Bless , hang in there Brother .
Smokestack