Estes | A Change In Linehaul Coming Eventually??

trucknfool

TB Regular
Credits
There have been a few rumors floating around that there may be plans to change
The way Linehaul is done. Maybe even going to a FedEx model ( all out and back )
Half way meets etc. What Xtraboard they would have will have sleepers and will eliminate motel expenses. Has anyone heard anything about this from management that would know??

There have been a few rumors floating around that there may be plans to change
The way Linehaul is done. Maybe even going to a FedEx model ( all out and back )
Half way meets etc. What Xtraboard they would have will have sleepers and will eliminate motel expenses. Has anyone heard anything about this from management that would know??

I have heard it as well. Heard a lot of terminals already cut lay downs into meets. Also as an extraboard driver I been going home 1-2 days a week for some reason.

I was under the impression that it was a crime to come back to your home domicile during the week, I rarely ever get to mine midweek. Of course I’m out of a smaller barn as well. I know I’ve heard recently that they’re not wanting to send empties or partials down the road as willingly as they used to. If most extraboard returned home daily, out east anyway would end up using 12-14 hours a day to do 400 miles with the ridiculous wait times at these break facilities.

I was under the impression that it was a crime to come back to your home domicile during the week, I rarely ever get to mine midweek. Of course I’m out of a smaller barn as well. I know I’ve heard recently that they’re not wanting to send empties or partials down the road as willingly as they used to. If most extraboard returned home daily, out east anyway would end up using 12-14 hours a day to do 400 miles with the ridiculous wait times at these break facilities.
Even at it's worse, It would be good to get
Home every day. If they got a handle on the freight lanes it would smooth out, hopefully.

My TM has talked about Richmond wanting to turn laydowns into meets. We have a few 630 mile laydowns that really should stay that way imo, but it’s not up to me I guess. Some of the guys on those runs are going to be upset because they live an hour from the terminal.

And our extraboard could be home daily or every other day with some good planning. We have trucks passing each other every day when they could meet and swap. All it would take is someone looking at both ends and setting it up in advance. Our hotel costs are astronomical. I’ve always wondered why they do things the way they do.

My TM has talked about Richmond wanting to turn laydowns into meets. We have a few 630 mile laydowns that really should stay that way imo, but it’s not up to me I guess. Some of the guys on those runs are going to be upset because they live an hour from the terminal.
I thought that the lay down runs where actually supposed to stay in bunk rooms where available. Living that far away from their job is on them. It's not the company's place to accommodate that, just saying.

I thought that the lay down runs where actually supposed to stay in bunk rooms where available. Living that far away from their job is on them. It's not the company's place to accommodate that, just saying.

You’re right. There aren’t a lot of bunk rooms in my region though.
And you’re right about guys living so far away. Some of our guys moved that far after they came to work here. I just don’t understand that.

Be nice just to work a full week once in a blue moon.... I feel like I have a casual gig...speaking of gig at least theres the gig economy , uber and GrubHub etc..

Last edited:
Monday and Tuesday the 3 of us extraboard guys went out and were sent right back home. I'll tell you I could get used to home 2 nights a week vs out 5. Especially when you go out 5 and get 450 miles because you get to a sht spot and sit 2 hours and then they tell you go to bed. Or you are out and on a 17th hour break and still ain't got a load.

If that's the case send me out and back every day. They are dead heading us around anyway. Mise well save the hotel costs.

Estes use to have a board called the greenboard it was one motel stay and back
Yeah but drivers abused it. They would volunteer to stay out like an extraboard driver if they got sent to a region they liked, but as soon as they had a chance to be sent to the northeast, they said “nope! You gotta send me back home.”