Pitt-Ohio | A few questions

Do u run the turnpikes? Does it happen often that u do not make it back to your home terminal? If so what happens the next day? U don’t work that night? Example wms to Baltimore is 622 miles. In bad weather u might not make that run.

We are off all major holidays. Yes we use turnpikes. Not making it back does happen but not really often. Only once in 6 years for me. Central does a pretty good job of anticipating inclement weather but sometimes layovers occur. Most likely in your scenario you would just come back to WMS the next day.

Last edited:
Does anyone no how long before u get health, dental, and vision insurance. My wife is a type 1 diabetic, so I can’t wait 90+ days. Thanks

Thanks washboard and Michaelscott for all the info. Do u work holidays? At my current job we only close on Christmas Eve and ChristmasThe paid holidays are New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, La
The paid holidays are New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas. On linehaul, we are off New Years Eve but the night of January 1st is a scheduled work day. It’s always slow night but varies depending on where it falls in the week and how that might impact freight levels. At or near the bottom of seniority you can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be working. I think I’ve been off twice in the 10 years I’ve been on linehaul. Also, this year Christmas Eve and Christmas fall in a Saturday and Sunday This means there will be a 4-day weekend but they still have to determine which 2 weekdays they will close that will least impact service.

Do u run the turnpikes? Does it happen often that u do not make it back to your home terminal? If so what happens the next day? U don’t work that night? Example wms to Baltimore is 622 miles. In bad weather u might not make that run.
That Baltimore will be made into a relay if there is any doubt it could be turned safely. Allentown is a 591 mile turn out of my terminal that can be done in under 10 hours drive time, but on Monday of last week a lot of their runs, including out of my terminal, were relayed because there was no way they could be safely turned with the driver arriving back at their home terminal in time to get the freight onto the street for delivery.

I’m not sure of WMS short runs but they have some real long ones like Baltimore MD, Battle Creek MI that are well over 600 miles and others that are in the high 500s.
Doing some research and reading what u have to say pitt ohio sounds like a pretty good company. Is there anything u would change or want different? Not looking for u to bash ur company just curious what could be better

Does anyone no how long before u get health, dental, and vision insurance. My wife is a type 1 diabetic, so I can’t wait 90+ days. Thanks
I don’t remember if it was the 1st of the month following 60 or 90 days of employment. It’s certainly not more than 90 but I think the dental might be after a year?? HR can give you the current info, it’s been 12 years since I dealt with it.
Doing some research and reading what u have to say pitt ohio sounds like a pretty good company. Is there anything u would change or want different? Not looking for u to bash ur company just curious what could be better
I would personally prefer bid runs. We are given a list of about 30 runs that we number in order of preference. Runs are the assigned based on seniority, with each driver receiving his highest pick that is available of the remaining runs when it is their turn. Then we have to wait for a phone call to be told our run and any “offered” runs that came up that are not part of the bid. Then if you go to a terminal such as Harrisburg, where in my case there are 8 possible destinations I can be sent to, we have to wait until we get there to find out. Again, this is my pet peeve and not an issue for all drivers. I just feel that more consistency would make for higher quality time off as I would be better able to plan how to spend my free time during the week as I know my start and finish times (barring unforeseen circumstances) each day without having to wait for a phone call or until I arrive at a destination terminal. Other than that, my only issues are things that have impacted the industry across the board such like increasingly complicated and unreliable equipment, an ever increasing amount of “safety” features that can be distracting and annoying, and micromanagement of drivers.

I’m not sure what I did but my reply to this is attached to another response in this thread.

I don’t remember if it was the 1st of the month following 60 or 90 days of employment. It’s certainly not more than 90 but I think the dental might be after a year?? HR can give you the current info, it’s been 12 years since I dealt with it.

I would personally prefer bid runs. We are given a list of about 30 runs that we number in order of preference. Runs are the assigned based on seniority, with each driver receiving his highest pick that is available of the remaining runs when it is their turn. Then we have to wait for a phone call to be told our run and any “offered” runs that came up that are not part of the bid. Then if you go to a terminal such as Harrisburg, where in my case there are 8 possible destinations I can be sent to, we have to wait until we get there to find out. Again, this is my pet peeve and not an issue for all drivers. I just feel that more consistency would make for higher quality time off as I would be better able to plan how to spend my free time during the week as I know my start and finish times (barring unforeseen circumstances) each day without having to wait for a phone call or until I arrive at a destination terminal. Other than that, my only issues are things that have impacted the industry across the board such like increasingly complicated and unreliable equipment, an ever increasing amount of “safety” features that can be distracting and annoying, and micromanagement of drivers.
So do u put in ur order of runs u prefer everyday? So if I am understanding this correctly the call u and tell u what run u got out of the list u put in for and tell u what time that run starts at? And they offer u other runs u can take at various start times instead of the one u put in for? So do u never really know what time u start and finish at day to day? I would think most guys would just keep putting in for the same route everyday

So do u put in ur order of runs u prefer everyday? So if I am understanding this correctly the call u and tell u what run u got out of the list u put in for and tell u what time that run starts at? And they offer u other runs u can take at various start times instead of the one u put in for? So do u never really know what time u start and finish at day to day? I would think most guys would just keep putting in for the same route everyday
Putting in for the same run every day works best for the top few drivers. What limits the options though, is that with most of our runs there are only one per night with a few that might have 2 or 3 going to the same terminal. The runs for the night are not even determined until between 5-6 pm and while we might have 3 Harrisburgs tonight, there might not be any tomorrow night. Because of this, drivers need to be flexible in order to make the most money. Fortunately our start times don’t vary widely. I can show up at 8pm daily and be good for any run we have. “Cut” times at my terminal are anywhere between 8:30 and 10 pm but we leave whenever the load is ready. The offered runs I mentioned are runs that aren’t on our list if preferences, but are put together to cover “leftover” loads that didn’t fit in when runs for the night were being planned. For example, the Pittsburgh terminal is 44 miles from my terminal and both terminals have a load destined for the other. They could have a driver do the round trip and then another run, but there is no other run. The next best thing is to have a driver from each terminal move their load then take a load out of each other’s terminals. For example, instead of a Pittsburgh driver and me both going directly to Carlisle, Pa, I would go to Pittsburgh then Carlisle and they would come to my terminal and take our load to Carlisle. Carlisle is one of our picks but Pittsburgh to Carlisle is not, so it becomes an offer to anyone who would prefer to do that over their pick for the night, beginning at the top of the seniority list. I hope this is clear because it is certainly a lot simpler then what I’m describing here LOL.

Putting in for the same run every day works best for the top few drivers. What limits the options though, is that with most of our runs there are only one per night with a few that might have 2 or 3 going to the same terminal. The runs for the night are not even determined until between 5-6 pm and while we might have 3 Harrisburgs tonight, there might not be any tomorrow night. Because of this, drivers need to be flexible in order to make the most money. Fortunately our start times don’t vary widely. I can show up at 8pm daily and be good for any run we have. “Cut” times at my terminal are anywhere between 8:30 and 10 pm but we leave whenever the load is ready. The offered runs I mentioned are runs that aren’t on our list if preferences, but are put together to cover “leftover” loads that didn’t fit in when runs for the night were being planned. For example, the Pittsburgh terminal is 44 miles from my terminal and both terminals have a load destined for the other. They could have a driver do the round trip and then another run, but there is no other run. The next best thing is to have a driver from each terminal move their load then take a load out of each other’s terminals. For example, instead of a Pittsburgh driver and me both going directly to Carlisle, Pa, I would go to Pittsburgh then Carlisle and they would come to my terminal and take our load to Carlisle. Carlisle is one of our picks but Pittsburgh to Carlisle is not, so it becomes an offer to anyone who would prefer to do that over their pick for the night, beginning at the top of the seniority list. I hope this is clear because it is certainly a lot simpler then what I’m describing here LOL.
That definitely help to clear it up and makes more sense

I echo washboards sentiment on having set runs. At my terminal we get a txt telling us out run. Several years ago we received the text by 6:30p. Seems like it’s getting later and later. I live an hour away so it can be difficult to get there in time. I don’t really have an other legitimate complaints. Don’t tell anyone but if you can figure out your sleep schedule, there isn’t very many easier jobs making more money. But we let city drivers think we have it pretty terrible!

Last edited:
I echo washboards sentiment on having set runs. At my terminal we get a txt telling us out run. Several years ago we received the text by 6:30p. Seems like it’s getting later and later. I live an hour away so it can be difficult to get there in time. I don’t really have an other legitimate complaints. Don’t tell anyone but if you can figure out your sleep schedule, there isn’t very many easier jobs making more money. But we let city drivers think we have it pretty terrible!
Some city drivers complain about how we make more money for less work, but when there’s an opening in linehaul no one wants it and they hire off the street. I thought more money for less work was a good thing! Then they say they’d would transfer over if it wasn’t night shift. That’s the only time the job can be done! Sheesh.

I don’t know much about Cincy but I’m guessing they would be in zone 2 with a top rate of .6324. Some of the longer runs are to Washington PA which is a 524 mile turn, and Pittsburgh terminal as well as a relay in New Stanton, PA, both of which would be in the 600 mile range. They also run Toledo, Cleveland, and Charleston WV terminals which are a bit closer. Being in relatively close proximity to Indy and Columbus there might be multiple turns with those terminals as well. There are also other relays but not being from that terminal I couldn’t tell you where they run.

I don’t know much about Cincy but I’m guessing they would be in zone 2 with a top rate of .6324. Some of the longer runs are to Washington PA which is a 524 mile turn, and Pittsburgh terminal as well as a relay in New Stanton, PA, both of which would be in the 600 mile range. They also run Toledo, Cleveland, and Charleston WV terminals which are a bit closer. Being in relatively close proximity to Indy and Columbus there might be multiple turns with those terminals as well. There are also other relays but not being from that terminal I couldn’t tell you where they run.
Thanks for your reply.
If top out is .6324, what do new hires start at and how is wage progression?

Can anyone tell me how the prescription plan works? The 90 day mail order? Do u pay a percentage? Is there a max per prescription? Is it a set amount depending on tier? Thanks

The starting rate is the amount posted in the career center on the website, which is the only way to apply. I’m thinking it’s around .59 with annual increases on your hire date annual as well as COLAs which occur in the first week of May, so you get 5-6 raises raises before reaching top rate, which is at your 3rd anniversary. I don’t know the progression but I can say that the increase from 2nd year to top rate is larger than the others.

I haven’t used the prescription plan that much except for my Synthroid which is a maintenance medication. You are expected to use the 90 day mail order service for maintenance prescriptions but I stopped using it because of poor service. No one I’ve spoken to has had any issues, so maybe it’s my bad luck. I got tired of it taking 2-3 weeks for them to fill my order and not being able to get updates while I waited. I know get it filled at Walmart in one day for $10 versus $25 for poor mail order service. Sorry that isn’t much help to you.