Pitt-Ohio | A few questions

Champion bulldo

TB Lurker
Credits
1. What is starting pay rate for pitt ohio and top pay rate?
2. Does insurance cover spouse?
3. As a new driver to pitt will u at least work 40 hours
4. Does pitt take 30min out for lunch or can u eat while u drive?
5. What is a typical start time for a new driver at pitt
6. Does having many years of P &D expe count for anything with pitt

1. Starting pay is the pay listed for the job you are applying for. You can only apply for jobs that are posted on the website. There are 3 pay “zones” based on the cost of living where the terminal is located. I’m in zone 2 and top hourly rate is $27.63 with 1 1/2 after 40 hours. Overtime however, is not paid at time and a half until your 3rd anniversary which is also when you receive top rate. Until then it’s all straight time. 2. Health insurance is 80/20 in network with no premiums or deductibles for employee and family, but there is a spousal exception. The spouse does not qualify if their employer has a plan and contributes to the cost of the premium, so in order to qualify the spouse will need to be unemployed, self employed, or have a plan through their employer where they are paying 100% of the premium. 3. I believe everyone gets 40 or more hours, and to answer your lay-off question, they have what is called a rolling layoff. If you are told to call in and then told to stay home, you will work the other 4 days that week and the one-day layoffs will work their way up the seniority list, starting at the bottoms. 4. 30 minute lunches are deducted from your pay each day and you are required to take them. 5. I think 8:30-9:00 but you may be asked to come in earlier on occasion. 6. Prior P&D experience is a huge advantage in the hiring process but as far as I know, after that the biggest benefit is that you already know what you got yourself into. There are no bids here. City drivers are assigned runs and I’d say most have set area but there are a few that don’t. I should point out that the start time and run info I provided is specific to the Washington, PA terminal where I work and could vary from one terminal to the next.

1. Starting pay is the pay listed for the job you are applying for. You can only apply for jobs that are posted on the website. There are 3 pay “zones” based on the cost of living where the terminal is located. I’m in zone 2 and top hourly rate is $27.63 with 1 1/2 after 40 hours. Overtime however, is not paid at time and a half until your 3rd anniversary which is also when you receive top rate. Until then it’s all straight time. 2. Health insurance is 80/20 in network with no premiums or deductibles for employee and family, but there is a spousal exception. The spouse does not qualify if their employer has a plan and contributes to the cost of the premium, so in order to qualify the spouse will need to be unemployed, self employed, or have a plan through their employer where they are paying 100% of the premium. 3. I believe everyone gets 40 or more hours, and to answer your lay-off question, they have what is called a rolling layoff. If you are told to call in and then told to stay home, you will work the other 4 days that week and the one-day layoffs will work their way up the seniority list, starting at the bottoms. 4. 30 minute lunches are deducted from your pay each day and you are required to take them. 5. I think 8:30-9:00 but you may be asked to come in earlier on occasion. 6. Prior P&D experience is a huge advantage in the hiring process but as far as I know, after that the biggest benefit is that you already know what you got yourself into. There are no bids here. City drivers are assigned runs and I’d say most have set area but there are a few that don’t. I should point out that the start time and run info I provided is specific to the Washington, PA terminal where I work and could vary from one terminal to the next.
Thank u for taking the time to answer my questions this was a huge help

similar to Pyle. If Pitt is a zone 2 what’s a done 3 - say an Altoona or a Roanoke ?

Another question if u don't mind

Does pitt assign u a tractor or is it slip seating

similar to Pyle. If Pitt is a zone 2 what’s a done 3 - say an Altoona or a Roanoke ?
In addition to Charleston, Roanoke is as well as Cumberland, MD. Years ago it was listed on the pay sheet as Zone 3/Hazleton. I’m not sure why Hazleton was singled out or why they wouldn’t at least be in Zone 2. I’ll check if that’s still the case, but they otherwise don’t have the terminals listed for each zone.

Another question if u don't mind

Does pitt assign u a tractor or is it slip seating
As far as I know all drivers have assigned tractors, maybe not right at first though. My terminal has slightly more than double the number of city drivers than linehaul, so many in the city enjoy not having to share a tractor. New tractors are assigned to linehaul drivers so sharing is the only way to get a new one on p&d. Personally, I’d take an older one over sharing a new one any day.

How long is a typical linehaul night? Are u required to work the dock? If so, what terminals require it. What do u do on the dock? Just use a pallet jack? How does it work for linehaul as far as work? Does it work the same that if u don’t work 1 night u work the other 4 nights? Thanks

How long is a typical linehaul night? Are u required to work the dock? If so, what terminals require it. What do u do on the dock? Just use a pallet jack? How does it work for linehaul as far as work? Does it work the same that if u don’t work 1 night u work the other 4 nights? Thanks
Linehaul night is roughly 8-10 hrs on average. As far as dock work it’s not required. If you choose to it’s pulling a pallet jack or writing pro #s down or holding a broom. Yes the forced off guys do work the other 4 days at my terminal. The only time I’ve seen it happen was last spring early in the Corona fiasco though. Everything else is answered here.
Post in thread 'Hermitage Pa Linehaul Job?'
https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/hermitage-pa-linehaul-job.108780/post-1617767

Thanks for the response. I applied out of west middlesex PA. I know there are some 500-600 mile turns. I’m assuming on those longer runs your trailer going back is ready and loaded? Do u work the dock at every terminal? I guess on the bottom of the board I would get the shorter turns? I figured linehaul had longer nights then that but 8-10 hours is fine with me. Thanks for answering my questions. Be safe

Ok I thought about it after I post and I guess on bottom at my terminal the average night would be like 6-14 hours. It fluctuates alot on bottom. At my terminal the bigger miles nights on the bottom are triangles. So for instance out of WMS you may get a Washington then go to Toledo. The load in Washington may not even be there when you get there. You may be waiting on Cumberland to bring you the trailer. When you get to Toledo the load will likely be done. This is just a what if. Every terminal is different and has “special” runs they do. Terminal manager can tell you in interview what the guys on the bottom are doing. You are not forced to work dock anywhere. But if you sit in your truck you don’t get paid.

We do get personal/sick days and vacation. Someone else will have to chime in with the progression, I honestly don’t remember. You don’t get paid at terminal unless you work. At a relay (not at terminal) you get paid after your 30 min lunch.

Sick/Personal days are 2 after the first year and 3 each year thereafter. I don’t remember the first year vacation policy because it depends on if you were hired in the first or second half of the year. I think if hired in first half you get 1 week that year but if hired in second half you have to wait until the following year at which time you will get 2 weeks. Vacation is awarded at the beginning of the year so for example, if you were hired in August of 2021 your 2 weeks would be available in January of 2022. The following increases are I believe 3 weeks after 10, 4 weeks after 15, 5 weeks after 20 years. While 10 years seems like a long time to wait for a third week, they also have a plan B schedule available to anyone who is eligible for 2 or more weeks vacation. With plan B, you can take an additional week and your vacation pay will be distributed equally over that time. For example, you have two weeks but choose plan B. You still receive 10 days pay but it is spread out over 15 days, regardless of whether you take whole weeks or individual days. The only stipulation is that you must take 5 days prior to April 30 or be switched bak to plan A, which is the “traditional” way. Vacation pay is based on the previous years salary. They figure an hourly rate based on that salary and you are paid 40 hours straight and 5 hours time and a half for each week on plan A and adjusted accordingly if you choose plan B. All sick/personal and holidays are paid at 8 hours at whatever your corresponding city driver rate would be, based on years of service.

I’m not sure of WMS short runs but they have some real long ones like Baltimore MD, Battle Creek MI that are well over 600 miles and others that are in the high 500s.

Thanks washboard and Michaelscott for all the info. Do u work holidays? At my current job we only close on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.