Yellow | A for effort Danny Harrison

EX396

TB Veteran
Credits

Not sure what legal relevance 20+ out of 28 statements have, but I'm neither a judge nor an attorney.

Knowing closure is inevitable is certainly different than knowing closure is 60 days out.

Heck, every carrier out there should issue a notice today and to all employees when they make it past day 50, stating they are going to close shop at some undetermined date at least 60 days in the future. If that date turns out to be May 15, 2048 at least they were given notice. ;)

Reactions: TC1
His story of Caliber/Roadway is off, by the time the Caliber name came about Roadway was no longer associated with Caliber.
Roadway Services spun Roadway Express off before changing the name and trying to combine Spartan, Coles, Viking and Central of Texas into one company.
Viking was the lucking survivor ending up as FexEx Freight after FedEx bought Caliber systems, Viking, Roberts, RPS.

Maybe. I don't believe in this instance it should be. What should happen and what does happen won't always agree.
If you had the insight as many drivers did you would have seen Yellow actually turning away freight in the months prior to the shutdown. Freight from January to July was a drastic reduction.So yes they knew what they were doing and yes it was planned. Picking a fight with the union was just away to have someone else to blame. Once again the arrogance attitude by upper management.
“ It’s not our fault “

If you had the insight as many drivers did you would have seen Yellow actually turning away freight in the months prior to the shutdown. Freight from January to July was a drastic reduction.So yes they knew what they were doing and yes it was planned. Picking a fight with the union was just away to have someone else to blame. Once again the arrogance attitude by upper management.
“ It’s not our fault “
Freight was bad for everyone in first half of 2023.

Freight was bad for everyone in first half of 2023.
Yes it was. But when you walk into a customer and they say “ hey will you take YRC’s freight they said they don’t have a man in the area and don’t know if they can get it tomorrow either “ that my friend is turning away freight.

If you had the insight as many drivers did you would have seen Yellow actually turning away freight in the months prior to the shutdown. Freight from January to July was a drastic reduction.

No way they were simply refusing to pick up freight of slow paying customers. Cash flow was becoming an imminent issue. Don't incur labor costs today if customers aren't going to pay for 60-90+ days.

So yes they knew what they were doing and yes it was planned.

Hmmm. I thought they were inept? Which is it?

Picking a fight with the union was just away to have someone else to blame. Once again the arrogance attitude by upper management.
“ It’s not our fault “
Pot, meet kettle.

At this point in time it doesn't really matter who is at fought. It was a tragic end and a lot of people hurt from it. When i got laid off from a company i really loved along with 300 others and never got a call back i was upset and mad for a long time until i realized its over and nothing i can do will change it so why keep letting it steal my happiness. I know it's easier said than done, because even typing these words brings back questions like why about a lot things and hurt and anger. I really thought id retire from that place but it ended and that chapter in my life is closed. I know its hard but look at your life and count your blessings there has got to be some good things about in your life.

No way they were simply refusing to pick up freight of slow paying customers. Cash flow was becoming an imminent issue. Don't incur labor costs today if customers aren't going to pay for 60-90+ days.

Hmmm. I thought they were inept? Which is it?

Pot, meet kettle.
If you were not at customers docks you would not have a clue as to what was happening. You make no sense whatsoever, if Yellow was refusing freight because of slow pay from customer X then why was Holland in picking up freight at customer X?

They were definitely trying to thin the freight out in the months prior, like I said if you saw what we did every day you would understand what really happened.

They were too proud to admit they couldn’t run a company. What better plan let’s blame the Teamsters. Yes mister know it all consultant the greedy Teamsters that went from 2009 to 2022 and gained 1 cent in wages in 13 years 24.50 in 2009 before concessions to 24.51 in 2022. How many consultants does that take to figure out they couldn’t run a hot dog stand let alone a trucking company.
You’re senseless thoughts aren’t worth a plug nickel.

Last edited:
At this point in time it doesn't really matter who is at fought. It was a tragic end and a lot of people hurt from it. When i got laid off from a company i really loved along with 300 others and never got a call back i was upset and mad for a long time until i realized its over and nothing i can do will change it so why keep letting it steal my happiness. I know it's easier said than done, because even typing these words brings back questions like why about a lot things and hurt and anger. I really thought id retire from that place but it ended and that chapter in my life is closed. I know its hard but look at your life and count your blessings there has got to be some good things about in your life.
Good advice. I know a couple of folks in their late 70's who were let go very close to their planned retirement dates. This was 15-20 years ago for both of them and they still bring it up in conversation fairly regularly. Yeah it sucked. Yes, your employers were a-holes. But move on and be happy, still some life to live.

“ It’s not our fault “

Back in 2009 the expectation was that YRC was not going to survive. It was no secret and some competitors targeted their customers to line up for business in the event it did happen. The economy was in shambles.
One way or another, they managed to survive only to have the rumors surface repeatedly every few months.
I actually give the management team a great deal of credit in keeping the company alive as long as they did. I'm sure it took a great deal of unique solutions to keep the company alive. The company changed CFO's every 18 months or so???
Yet for some reason customers stood by them, Americans generally root for the underdog plus Yellow was selling cheap.
Once the teamster boss posted the meme showing 2023 was the end, customers fled....
If the plan was to shut the company down, it would have easily happened in 2009 and never have to go through the effort they did just to survive.

Back in 2009 the expectation was that YRC was not going to survive. It was no secret and some competitors targeted their customers to line up for business in the event it did happen. The economy was in shambles.
One way or another, they managed to survive only to have the rumors surface repeatedly every few months.
I actually give the management team a great deal of credit in keeping the company alive as long as they did. I'm sure it took a great deal of unique solutions to keep the company alive. The company changed CFO's every 18 months or so???
Yet for some reason customers stood by them, Americans generally root for the underdog plus Yellow was selling cheap.
Once the teamster boss posted the meme showing 2023 was the end, customers fled....
If the plan was to shut the company down, it would have easily happened in 2009 and never have to go through the effort they did just to survive.
And when the account executives emailed customers telling them they were shutting down several days before it happened wasn’t good either. I will give Yellow credit they played the Teamsters like a fiddle and won.

And why did it take 14 years to finally realize they needed to consolidate to survive?
And in that 14 years why did they compete against their own companies?
And why did they go after overnight freight in a long haul multi day freight lane?
It’s called ARROGANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Puffy, this company survived 14 years on the backs of the employees, both the rank-and-file and the front-line supervision/management. Four rounds of concessions that cost some of us over $300,000. We believed in ourselves and believed that we could "pull it out". As a result of the financial and personal stress, a lot of people lost their homes. A lot of people lost their marriages. Quite a few had to file bankruptcy. Some were imperiled with two of those issues; some all three.

Puffy, this company survived 14 years on the backs of the employees, both the rank-and-file and the front-line supervision/management. Four rounds of concessions that cost some of us over $300,000. We believed in ourselves and believed that we could "pull it out". As a result of the financial and personal stress, a lot of people lost their homes. A lot of people lost their marriages. Quite a few had to file bankruptcy. Some were imperiled with two of those issues; some all three.
Agree, workers at YRC carried the load and the company still could not generate a profit unless property was being sold.
Simply stated, the business model does not work. Competitors with much better service levels and much higher pay were able to generate profits in the same business environment..
The current teamster LTL business model fails every time.

AdBlock Detected