FedEx Freight | a job at fedex freight

Credits
hey folks! there's a help wanted ad near me for fedex freight. it includes an opening for a driver apprentice. when it says driver apprentice does that mean they have a dire need for help? i'm hoping this terminal has at least a couple of openings. also, other than their service philosophies what are the differences between fxf and national. are there any differences at all between the two companies in pay and benefits? as a p and d driver are you hired on full time or do you have to start out as a casual sitting by the phone hoping they need you 5 days a week? i know not all terminals are run the same, i'm just looking for general info. also, what is the starting rate for new hires in the southeast part of the u.s.

Now is the best time to come on board fedex freight, we are in the middle of a big expansion, growing MASSIVELY company wide. Starting pay is usually 18.59/hour OT after 8 hours. Tops out at 21.67. Fedex Freight seldom over hires, when they add 3 drivers, they usually need 5. Biggest difference from National, they lose more money than us.

[quote author=staggerlee link=topic=79916.msg827623#msg827623 date=1273173405]
hey folks! there's a help wanted ad near me for fedex freight. it includes an opening for a driver apprentice. when it says driver apprentice does that mean they have a dire need for help? i'm hoping this terminal has at least a couple of openings. also, other than their service philosophies what are the differences between fxf and national. are there any differences at all between the two companies in pay and benefits? as a p and d driver are you hired on full time or do you have to start out as a casual sitting by the phone hoping they need you 5 days a week? i know not all terminals are run the same, i'm just looking for general info. also, what is the starting rate for new hires in the southeast part of the u.s.
[/quote]

Yeah. You'll drive local until you hit 8 hours. Then you will go shuttle where you will be paid by the mile and never get any OT. You'll work the dock. You'll work about 14 hours a day without OT. Your family will take a back seat to FedEx Freight.

Go to school. Get out of the industry.

zathlon is full of crap. He's probably a supervisor. They will hire until they realize they don't need the last 3 hires. Then they are gone.

Find something else to do or find a local carrier that doesn't feel the need to f*&k you over just because they can.

thanks for the reply zathlon. what would be the reason for hiring a driver apprentice rather than drivers with good experience. also, what are the chances of them passing on me for having worked for a union ltl carrier in the past?

Zathlon forgot to add however that even though you might not get ot, with the hours and the miles you put in you will be making some darn good money! Feast or famine my friends!

it's funny, i've been working in ltl for way, way, way longer than fedex freight has even been around. it's not that i'm an old guy, how long has it been since fedex bought af? i would think its still shy of 10 years. anyway, all the fxf guys i've gotten to know are city drivers and they've always told me fedex works them an average of 8-9 hours a day. they always tell me its only the senior guys who might get over 5 hours a week ot. franklin, is the work day you describe strictly typical for new hires or everyone. as far as working the dock, i like working the dock and prefer that over dealing with snooty customers, appointment times,residential deliveries and dipatchers who want me to be at 2 places at the same time.

[quote author=staggerlee link=topic=79916.msg827726#msg827726 date=1273194675]
it's funny, i've been working in ltl for way, way, way longer than fedex freight has even been around. it's not that i'm an old guy, how long has it been since fedex bought af? i would think its still shy of 10 years. anyway, all the fxf guys i've gotten to know are city drivers and they've always told me fedex works them an average of 8-9 hours a day. they always tell me its only the senior guys who might get over 5 hours a week ot. franklin, is the work day you describe strictly typical for new hires or everyone. as far as working the dock, i like working the dock and prefer that over dealing with snooty customers, appointment times,residential deliveries and dipatchers who want me to be at 2 places at the same time.
[/quote]

New hires will get the late start times and the runs to cover mistakes and bad management.

Myself, customers fall into two catagories. Those that I can get along with, and those that I can't. I do my job. If I can't make the appointment times, it's not my fault. I don't mind residentials because usually are the greatest people I deal with. Dispatchers are another thing. In the old days, they could really screw you. Now.... as long as you aren't screwing around, your intermec shows every thing you are doing and where you are. If they want to push something, they had better make sure they are right. As long as you are clean, you have nothing to worry about. Get everything in text on the intermec and you're golden.

You worked to get your CDL. Why should you waste it working the dock?

[quote author=zathlon link=topic=79916.msg827674#msg827674 date=1273187282]
Now is the best time to come on board fedex freight, we are in the middle of a big expansion, growing MASSIVELY company wide. Starting pay is usually 18.59/hour OT after 8 hours. Tops out at 21.67. Fedex Freight seldom over hires, when they add 3 drivers, they usually need 5. Biggest difference from National, they lose more money than us.

[quote author=staggerlee link=topic=79916.msg827623#msg827623 date=1273173405]
[/quote]
[/quote]I feel cheated I only make 21.60

If you are qualified, with a good background, jump on this. They will train you. Never pass up something like this. So what if you set by the phone, this is a good paying job. I did it for years.

We don't know where you are coming from .... :thumbsup:

Some of us have been here a long time .... and remember the old days .. and ways ... Its never going back to ... THAT WAY ... :poke:

Having said that .. this is a good job ... take it if you can get it, ... just remember .... your at the bottom of the steaming pile ... :kicking:

Top Pay in California is 24.00 dollars an hour, and .5855 a mile. If your pulling tripples (Reno Nv) you can add another .250 to that.

staggerlee I believe you said previuosly that u already have experience. If so jump on it. Yea Fedex can suck at times but I believe all jobs do and all Trucking Companies do. So what? Great pay great benefits and you won't be at the bottom too long. Suck it up do what they tell ya make sure ur I's are dotted and ur T's crossed and it shouldn't be a problem.Usaully a driver apprentice job is an internal posting and promoting a dock hand to the postion of super dock hand by giving him a CDL,but if you already have experience put your name in the hat. It will save the company several thousand dollars and maybe put u a step a head of the others. Yea ur hours are probably gonna suck for awhile yea ur gonna get the smelly end of the stick for awhile....yadyadyada,but thats the way it is when you start over.It's a truck driving job not a glory job in a nice office in Memphis or Harrison where you get all the perks. Take it for what it is get your foot in the door and ride it out. Fedex is going places you might as well go with us :thumbsup:

We do hire ex-union drivers. Some service center managers are more picky about this than others. So it's hard for me to say exactly what your chances are. I don't know what that other driver is talking about. Everyone at my service center would agree that Fedex Freight under hires. But I'm sure that too can vary a bit from terminal to terminal.

[quote author=staggerlee link=topic=79916.msg827702#msg827702 date=1273192473]
thanks for the reply zathlon. what would be the reason for hiring a driver apprentice rather than drivers with good experience. also, what are the chances of them passing on me for having worked for a union ltl carrier in the past?
[/quote]

:duel:Franklin, you suk! It doesn't matter what i do for Fedex Freight. Work the dock, sweep floors, switcher, forklift operator, toilet cleaner they are paying me the best wages in the industry and it is my job to do the best I can . I get overtime for anything over 8 hours doing anyjob at Fedex. As for workin 8 then hitting the road and runnin to another terminal i get paid to drop, hook trailers road miles and if i work the dock where i am goin to then i get paid hourly again. :banana: