FedEx Freight | A question or two

TiredDvrsWife

TB Veteran
Credits
I'm learning about FedEx and it's eye opening thing for sure. Of course it's just a drop in the bucket compared to everything you drivers know, especially the senior drivers.

Main question is: FedEx Nat'l is FedEx Express, Ground and Home delivery in one? That's what I'm going to be answering phone for and setting up pickups, finding packages, etc.

Any info shared is appreciated, I know that customers will want to know stuff and the more I know, the better I can handle that CM. Then when the driver gets to the business/residence they should be greeted with a smile.

Absolutely Positively!

Now where's my Koolaid?? :biglaugh:

I had to add that last part, the newbies know about the system for p&d but not the face to face of drivers. :thumbsup:

Welcome, TDW! :thumbsup:

FedEx National is still strictly LTL, but GENERALLY has longer length-of-haul than say FedEx Freight or Con-Way. It's more like ABF or YRC, than FXF or CNW, focusing more on the 3-4-5 day lanes than the next day or second day service.

But if you're going to be taking calls from customers, you're darn tootin' you will need to know about all the different FedEx companies and services.

Express - nationwide overnight delivery of envelopes/packages; premium service using airplanes flying into and out of the main hub in Memphis (also big hubs in Indy, Ft Worth, Newark, and Oakland (or somewhere in Calif.)

Ground and Home Delivery - slower delivery of small packages; less costly than Express because you're not getting it next day. Use semis for over the road movement, like the LTL companies.

Freight - premium LTL similar to Con-Way; specializes in 1 day service 600+ miles from origin and 2 day service 1,500+ miles. We also do 3-4-5 day delivery but more costly. 99% on time service.

National LTL as described above. Freight and National are both in the same "segment" of the company from the standpoint of how the company reports our financials to the SEC. Express and Ground are each in their own "segments".

There's also Custom Critical which is a super premium service for any size shipment. If you need it in Timbuktu tomorrow and don't care how much it costs, CC can take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Again, welcome to the family.

oaf

Your question is a little confusing. I'm not sure who you are going to work for, but since you mention home delivery, here is some information on that division. Good Luck.

FedEx Home Delivery: A division of FedEx Ground, specializing in residential delivery Tuesday through Saturday and offers delivery options to provide more flexibility for residential recipients. The logo includes a drawing of a dog carrying a packager . FedEx Home Delivery only operates in the United States. To make up the difference, FedEx Ground in Canada performs

Thank you OAF. I get info from a trainer that has never been in the delivery business. She's good but nothing like actual experience.

TP, sorry about the confusion. I'm hired by a call center, a national one. Our "customer" is FedEx. Now my ID is FedEx and when I'm through with training I'll be qualified to work at a FedEx place and not just a call center.

I wanted details to be sure that I can help the customer (shipper) but also be aware of the driver also.

Had to fight off two customers that wanted drivers to come back to their homes with packages instead of waiting until tomorrow. They both had DT and both had Direct Signatures.

And then I see that I'm in FedEx FREIGHT forum and not National! Goes to show that I was way to tired to be posting last night!! Sorry guys. :chairshot:

Your not doing one of those Internet scams are you. I thought the company hired people themselves not a third party.

[quote author=fed875 link=topic=80112.msg829821#msg829821 date=1273869170]
Your not doing one of those Internet scams are you. I thought the company hired people themselves not a third party.
[/quote]

Oh heck no. I am at a big call center and they have places all over. We do use internet to get our systems up and running but it's not a scam. We get calls where people need pickups, track DTs, set up CTs and we do Express, Ground and Home Delivery. Look up locations for people to drop off packages, etc.

Are you a FedEx employee? I'm surprised that they'd turn you loose knowing so little about the overall FedEx organization.

[quote author=esarde link=topic=80112.msg830021#msg830021 date=1273938716]
Are you a FedEx employee? I'm surprised that they'd turn you loose knowing so little about the overall FedEx organization.
[/quote]

You are... really?

I'm an employee of the call center, I'm working on the FedEx account and my ID has FedEx on it. I'm not out of training yet. I was just coming here to get more information on the running of the company and not just the call center info. :thumbsup:

Just remember TDW ... it is the call center .. not channel 19 .... I may have to start calling the fed ex call center and give you a trade mark whisper through the phone .. LOL

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=80112.msg830157#msg830157 date=1273973387]
Just remember TDW ... it is the call center .. not channel 19 .... I may have to start calling the fed ex call center and give you a trade mark whisper through the phone .. LOL
[/quote]

TMI!!!

Rat

ALL CALLS ARE MONITORED!!!!! So far on my past call center jobs I've been invited north to ride motorcycles, told how sexy my southern accent is and some that wouldn't get off the darn phone after finding out I'm from the south.

Someone had a call the other day from a guy that said he had sedated his kitty, put into a box and put into a drop box. He then found out that domestic animals can't be shipped. So he wanted to know where his kitty was??

No doubt a prank call :kicking:

I'm working at a call center not a CALL GIRL center W99!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

[quote author=Guardrail link=topic=80112.msg830041#msg830041 date=1273942345]
[quote author=esarde link=topic=80112.msg830021#msg830021 date=1273938716]
[/quote]

You are... really?
[/quote]

Beat me to it. Also, they use trainers with no delivery business experience. But that's not surprising either. I guess you don't need it to answer phones, but seems it would help understanding the questions and concerns better.

TiredDvrsWife, just remember, the driver is always right and customers are nothing but problems to be handled.

The system we use is pretty much set up. Most we verify the way the customer is going to pay, where the package/box is to be picked up from and track packages. Also how many packages/boxes and if customer doesn't want to wait then we tell them where to drop off the package.

We fight off the ones that want their delivery NOW BY GOLLY OR ELSE!! Nicely explain the driver can NOT cross a state at supersonic speed and can't get back to their home within 5 minutes with the package. Have to wait for next delivery time.

Apparently they think the drivers are supermen or somethin' :nono:

Years ago I did P&D with my husband and we did deliveries morning, pickups afternoons, back to dock in time to gerouted through linehaul. Didn't have cellphones, just two way radios.

I'm with ya'll, need to have more info so we can do the best job we can possibly do. That's why I'm here, to get the full picture. :thumbsup:

[glow=red,2,300]P.S.[/glow] We take upwards of 500 calls per day, nonstop except for two 15 minute breaks, 1 hour lunch break. As soon as a customer hangs up the beep comes on and we have to greet another customer. We have to use a script to ask questions and get the correct answers or correct pickup. There are quality monitors listening and we are graded. How long we average per call + quality grade + showing up for work= raise or bonus.

Talk for 6 hours straight to people that range from nice, to mumbling to madder than a wet hen. :bash: About as bad as being in traffic with morons on the road! :shift:

On the second street corner right past the Ol' Notel Motel. :poke:

Say, where can I get one of them fancy purple FedEx shirts to wear to work?? huh? huh? :banana:

[quote author=thebeerboy link=topic=80112.msg831413#msg831413 date=1274368383]
What's the 20 on the call girl ?
[/quote]