R&L | A quick survey

leftlanecruiser

TB Lurker
Credits
If you had the choice of either getting a raise or a new truck,which would you rather have? My personal opinion is that I would rather have a new truck. A raise would only be about 25 dollars a week,less after taxes. I would rather have a new truck that runs and PULLS good. I would rather have the time and comfort that a new truck gives me.

Yes true but you cannot pay bills , feed your family, or make your situation any better with a new truck, you don't get to take it home and you don't get to save fuel driving it to and from home.The company buys new trucks for the same reason a regular person buys a new vehickle, it won't break down as much and is more reliable to use, if they could get a promise that the 10 year old truck would not break down and cost them 1/4 the purchase price of a new one we would all be driving 10 year old plus trucks , so don't go there unless you are a owner operator or you live in the truck 80 hours a week, give me the raise thats what I would want. plus your little math sucks, yes .50 cents a week would be only $25 a week but thats also $1300 a year, I'll take the raise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me the raise also.
I'm perfectly happy with my 6 year old, 800k mile tractor, I take care of it and it does the job just fine.
What I'm not happy about is that I do the exact same run as alot of our competitors,
but their drivers make more than I do.....

Well, my 2004 international has over a million miles, and i am lucky to have two skilled mechs at my terminal. They do a hell of a job in maintaning my tractor and i must say that i would keep old bit%$ over any new tractor. I would take the raise and buy them each a bottle of good whiskey. They deserve it.

Take the raise. Cause a new truck to these people is at least 3yrs old, with 500,000 miles on it. The only thing new about them is the paint. Most don't pull to good either. Take the money. The at my terminal do a hell of a job to. Take the money and get the mechanics something for Xmas. Good idea.

If you had the choice of either getting a raise or a new truck,which would you rather have? My personal opinion is that I would rather have a new truck. A raise would only be about 25 dollars a week,less after taxes. I would rather have a new truck that runs and PULLS good. I would rather have the time and comfort that a new truck gives me.

i am going to go out on a limb here and surmise that you are not even a driver yet.........right........??

well we drivers KNOW that the raise means MORE THAN a new truck ever would. the new trucks come to those that take care of the trucks they have now. not too often does a new truck go to a newbie/rookie, for fear of destroying that new $100,000+ piece of iron.

an "older truck" gets the job done as well as a brand new one, you just don't have the advantage of shiny chrome, stainless steel, or fresh paint. there is no ego to support either. i think guys that would rather drive new trucks every time they are offered them have an ego the size of the state of Texas, and frankly, to me, they are NOT drivers, as they put more emphasis on looks over substance.

to me, the driver that will cry when he does not get a new truck is a good laugh.

keep the old clean, neat, orderly, and do the job, then take the pay raise. the money goes to your future when it comes time to retire, and that extra (maybe $15.00 after taxes from the $25.00) can go into the 401k.............

what will a new truck put towards your retirement........?? the joy of telling your grand kids', "sorry little Billy, granpa can't take you to the movies, becasue he always drove shiny new trucks, and all i got to live on is SS, and no pension"............

and on a "final note (for now), driving a shiny new truck OVER having the money.......?? usually means you are going to get paid crap.............so what's that job worth to anyone.........?? pride in driving new trucks..........and LOW wages..........

or drive older trucks, and HIGHER wages............?????????????????

Pro! Ease up on the coffee! He asked for a quick suvey and it must have hit a nerve........

Ya'll have fun, I gots to go work on my flip house now....

Prodriver,leftlanecruser actually is an old user from the other board.Hes been around for a long time.

I'll keep driving my 2.2 million mile truck and take the raise instead!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're going on three years without any kind of cost of living raise and your worried about how new your truck is!!!!!!!!!!! The run i'm on got a seven dollar a day increase when we did get a raise. That's fourteen dollars a day over two years add that up and people wonder why drivers are so mad at the idiots in Wilmington. Lets just see what happens if the raise doesn't come next April!!!!

Ive been here 7 yrs in January and I can say if there isnt a cost of living adjustment come April I will start looking for something else.Dont know if Ill find something else and wont leave until i do but I will start looking.

My truck is only 3 yrs old,I got it new before the YRC crew started so Im good equipment wise.I have sole use of it so it stays half way decent.

I have been driving the same truck for 11 years...Its kept up pretty fair, not perfect by any means, I am ok with it...It breaks down about 2-3 times a year, but I get by thee hour so whatever....A new one would be nice, but a new truck dosen't pay the college tuition for my son..Dosen't buy groceries, or pay the house payment...ITS TIME TO GIVE US A RAISE......

Pro! Ease up on the coffee! He asked for a quick suvey and it must have hit a nerve........

Ya'll have fun, I gots to go work on my flip house now....

that's actually very funny........"ease up on the coffee"...........

damned doctors have me cutting down on coffee.............!!!!!! only 2 stinking cups a day........!!!!!

Prodriver,leftlanecruser actually is an old user from the other board.Hes been around for a long time.

ok, my bad, but now try and "look" at my response from my point of view........

as an educator, i get asked that question many times. the students are thrilled to see new trucks. when i show a video in class, they see shiny NEW IH's, NEW MACK's (remember the superliner?) , and new Fords, and even some GMC's.........and many of those videos are from the 1980's, some from the 1970's.........!!!!!

then they go outside, and look at our "fleet" of yard tractors,. oh, many ARE 1980's/1990's........1 million miles, no headlights, no tail lights...........

then they "see" many trucks driving on by...........1990's/2000's macks, a pete or two.......

so they "fall in love" with the concept of "beauty over money".............

so to me, the o/p sounded like many of my wannabe's............

it was a "conditioned response" from me..........:shrug:

Ive been here 7 yrs in January and I can say if there isnt a cost of living adjustment come April I will start looking for something else.Dont know if Ill find something else and wont leave until i do but I will start looking.

please do since then that way you will get off the r&l site since you seem too be a little biased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please do since then that way you will get off the r&l site since you seem too be a little biased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny,Ive been on this board since 2008.You make 2 posts and your telling me where to go?I loved this company and worked real hard for them and despite the screwing we have received lately I still work hard every day for them,thats my nature.I will say you need to tread lightly friend.

Wasn't trying to start an arguement,a few of you people really do have some issues. The post was just a survey,to see where others drivers heads are. I want a new truck for 2 reasons,myself and the company. I spend more time in my truck than I do my bed or even my house sometimes. A new,faster truck that pulls good will save me time and get me home quicker,plus I wouldn't be battling out on the road. You know what I'm talking about-you pass them going down the hill and they pass you on the pull. I keep my truck in good shape,but not all of you are like me. I hate it when my truck is in the shop and I have to take another truck. Most of the time I find things that need fixed,but no one puts forth the effort to get it done. The second part of my reasoning is the future of this company. Do you really think that this company has any kind of REAL future trying to move freight and get it there on time with equipment that may break down at any time-and does. If you were a shipper would you use the company with the broken down junk or the one with the newer,more reliable trucks? And to those that say that your trucks aren't that old,they took our new trucks when they expanded out west. Whatever your opinion,don't begrudge another driver his opinion. Everyone is in a different position and has different degrees of experience. One last thing-the people here that want the new trucks are the ones that have been here awhile. I wonder if that is so because we tend to have good runs or if we have trucking running in our veins.